Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Canon 500D or Nikon D90?

+22
nomeradona
necrolyte
Dan.Tria
theomatheus
ARCHITHEKTHURA
kurdaps!
canonknights
ellie
Ariel
bokkins
mactan
tutik
nyop
Kurt Ramius
edosayla
v_wrangler
oDi120522
celes
cubi_o:
reggie0711
3DZONE
eyecon01
26 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Canon 500D or Nikon D90? - Page 2 Empty Canon 500D or Nikon D90?

Post by eyecon01 Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:46 pm

First topic message reminder :

Hello guys, for the benefit of our foreign members, I will start talking in english now. It seems this community is growing so fast, we are attracting so many diverse people to join... AMAZING!

Anyway, back to my question...

Canon 500D or Nikon D90?

Any advice will help. I am not biased to the brand nor too concerned with the price difference of each kit, since they are almost the same. What I'm concerned is Features and Savings that I might get in the long run... I have looked into each camera's feature and they almost level out in positive and the negatives, I just want to hear from the experts on what they think.

Thanks guys!
eyecon01
eyecon01
CGP MatPinter
CGP MatPinter

Number of posts : 657
Registration date : 26/12/2008

http://ericdmatte.com

Back to top Go down

Canon 500D or Nikon D90? - Page 2 Empty Re: Canon 500D or Nikon D90?

Post by v_wrangler Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:05 am

I've been trying to hold off some of my comments since I am not really a knowledgeable photographer but more of a filmaker wannabee. Now that there was some talk about video - I bet I can show a bit of my unwanted biases.

No I do not own any of those cameras, I'm still stuck with my old reliable D40 but I do have friends who own the two cams in question and I've seen quite a bit of their video shoots.

500D shoots full hd but drops down to 20fps. Everyone in video knows this is not a good thing. Lower the resolution to hd at 1280X720 and you get 30fps NTSC.

If you are into filmaking, 24 fps is a must no ifs no buts and this is where the D90 excel, if you can forgive the size (no its not full hd) and the codec.

As a cg enthusiast, I understand that some people think video should be left to videocams and stills to DSLRs. I think the revolution has come when we do not need to log two cameras to shoot stuff for two distinct puposes.
I should be able to shoot video for my animations and use the same camera to shoot my textures - is just two of the many wonderful things.

Which brings me to my last point. If I would have to make a choice between the two for my weird purposes, I won't be getting a Nikon or a Canon. I'd sell my Full HD Video Camera and the D40 for a penny and get the Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1.

Smile

I bet lalong mapapakamot sa ulo si eyecon.

v_wrangler
CGP Loverboy
CGP Loverboy

Number of posts : 1994
Registration date : 29/03/2009

http://www.maxworksdigital.com

Back to top Go down

Post by eyecon01 Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:19 am

I have field tested both cameras and I have finally decided which one is for me. But before I move on to my own opinion heres an unbiased article about which is better 500D or D90:

http://www.digitalreview.ca/content/Canon-Rebel-T1i-EOS-500D-Compared-to-Nikon-D90.shtml

If tamad kang magbasa and just want to know the results, then here is some images for you.

Canon 500D or Nikon D90? - Page 2 50D_DXO Canon 500D or Nikon D90? - Page 2 D90_DXO

Although sa picture 50D and camera, 500D is running a 50D image sensor with DIGIC 4. They are almost identical with a few differences.

Its a clear cut that D90 wins over 500D for one huge reason...
... D90 is a semi-proffessional camera with semi pro features like better AF selection, and better sensor as based on the image above. It also has a very intuitive ISO setting with increments of 250 for each ISO unlike 500D that jumps from 800 to 1600. At the same time there are a lot of controls ( too numerous to name ) that gives you full and better control over your images than 500D. (just look at the article above for better comparison)

and now to my decision.... What Camera would I choose?

After field testing both cameras (who were lended to my by my awesome friends...) me and my girlfriend (yes we field tested both cameras, after all 2 heads are better than one..) we decided that for a beginner Canon 500D is the best entry level camera.

WHAT?!! 500D??? Now before you mutilate me into a thousand pieces let me first tell you how I decided my final verdict...

I field tested both uitlizing all the most common features that a newbie like me would tend to use. Features like ISO speeds, color value aka picture style (and editing it to certain degree), Focusing depth, speed and accuracy, AE speed and accuracy, Image Stabilizartion, grain based on ISO, GUI intuitiveness, ease of use, and each inidividual "non-creative feature" like auto settings for night, macro and video quality (720p only).

Now like I said D90 is better why choose 500D?

1. Main factor for me is the accuracy of the LCD display. Like I said, I'm a newbie, I can't tell if I'm getting accurate image quality on D90 where images most of the time come Burned on the Black areas and when downloaded on the PC, you would be surprise it actually looks very good! On the 500D however, what you see is what you get, either on the camera display or on the PC. The display was so clear, you have a very accurate take on every image you make.

2. GUI, live view mode and intuitive settings that are just in your face! I love ease of use, and Canon 500D has a neat GUI where everything you need and want is in front of you. A few clicks and your off to using your favorite settings and it also remembers your last used setting, giving you less time to tweak it.

3. Very Clean images even at very high ISO settings... yes its amazinglly sharp at the same time very clean. A few people actually complained that 500Ds images are very soft, but there is a setting that can sharpen all images you take, along with a setting to make all your images vivid which takes me to...

4. ... All these custom settings for color can then be saved for a total of 3 custom options for color which at the same time can be easilly accesed through to GUI.

5. The camera was lightwieght, nice grip and handle and was just pure joy to use, not to mention quite cheap at somewhere $1,300 ++ in Sing Dollar and about 44,000 ++ in pesos dependent on your vendor or suki.

These are the 5 factors that made 500D a cool winner for me. I know some might disagree, which is perfectlly fine for me. I stronglly believe that first impressions last and somehow the ease of use for Canon was the deciding point for me. Will I buy a Nikon? HELL YEAH! If it is as cheap as Canon 500D or at least $100-$200 close there would be no question about it. But facts are, its a semi-pro camera, thats why it a bit much more expensive coupled with really expensive lenses too.

Thats it guys, I hope I explained that well.. in the end its not the tool that makes the art... its the artist alone. Smile... Now to save some dough to get me a 500D...
eyecon01
eyecon01
CGP MatPinter
CGP MatPinter

Back to top Go down

Post by tutik Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:19 am

v_wrangler wrote:Smile

lol Verts 2thumbsup

Canon 500D or Nikon D90? - Page 2 10167288@N07
tutik
tutik
The Spy
The Spy

Number of posts : 1715
Registration date : 01/10/2008

Back to top Go down

Post by eyecon01 Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:25 am

v_wrangler wrote:I've been trying to hold off some of my comments since I am not really a knowledgeable photographer but more of a filmaker wannabee. Now that there was some talk about video - I bet I can show a bit of my unwanted biases.

No I do not own any of those cameras, I'm still stuck with my old reliable D40 but I do have friends who own the two cams in question and I've seen quite a bit of their video shoots.

500D shoots full hd but drops down to 20fps. Everyone in video knows this is not a good thing. Lower the resolution to hd at 1280X720 and you get 30fps NTSC.

If you are into filmaking, 24 fps is a must no ifs no buts and this is where the D90 excel, if you can forgive the size (no its not full hd) and the codec.

As a cg enthusiast, I understand that some people think video should be left to videocams and stills to DSLRs. I think the revolution has come when we do not need to log two cameras to shoot stuff for two distinct puposes.
I should be able to shoot video for my animations and use the same camera to shoot my textures - is just two of the many wonderful things.

Which brings me to my last point. If I would have to make a choice between the two for my weird purposes, I won't be getting a Nikon or a Canon. I'd sell my Full HD Video Camera and the D40 for a penny and get the Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1.

Smile

Actually D90 can only capture video at 720p at 24f for max of 5 minutes, whereas the Canon 500D can capture at the same setting for 12 minutes. Making it a sure sure winner for HD video recording. With regards to 30 frame per second...since both capture videos in video format... I suggest using a separate software like AE and re-render these in frames at the same time convert them the desired frame per second. The 20f at full HD is also not that bad aka not too shabby... Smile

These of course where part of the field test but not part of the Judging, since video recording is just and added plus for me for these cameras and not really that strong of a feature aka hindi importante.. Smile

Last edited by eyecon01 on Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:26 am; edited 1 time in total
eyecon01
eyecon01
CGP MatPinter
CGP MatPinter

Back to top Go down

Post by tutik Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:26 am

cool Eyecon, congrats on your decision. glad that we have another recruit. enjoy shooting! buttrock

tutik
tutik
The Spy
The Spy

Back to top Go down

Post by v_wrangler Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:34 am

COngrats eyecon - I thought I could confuse you even more - I guess I was late Smile Napatawa ko tuloy si tutiks!

As for video, I've been seeing direct to disk captures so 5 min for D90 is not a big deal really. For film, we normally take each cut short so it will be easier to trasnport data. Post Dropdown is not really good. That's the reason why dvds don't feel the same way when you watch them on the theaters. 20fps? That's crappy! Very Happy

In Japan, we are slowly moving towards desktop cinema production with DSLRs and I am sure that in a few years it will gain more popularity as the prices go down.

Enjoy your cam!
v_wrangler
v_wrangler
CGP Loverboy
CGP Loverboy

Number of posts : 1994
Registration date : 29/03/2009

http://www.maxworksdigital.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ariel Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:47 am

Kurt Ramius wrote:waaaaaaaaaaa..... akala ko nakapagdecide na ako na D90 ang bibilhin ko, nang mabasa ang thread na ito nagdalawang isip na nman ako hu hu hu hu... ano ba talaga maganda???

D90 na bilhin mo sir, kakabili ko lang last week. ok naman ang features, though new user pa lang ako ng dslr hehe..
Ariel
Ariel
CGP Newbie
CGP Newbie

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 13/06/2009

Back to top Go down

Post by Ariel Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:51 am

tutik wrote:sayang di kasama ang D80 or older models sa choices coz i'd strongly recommend it specially at these times when people seeks the best bang for the buck. sa workflow, lenses at mata lang naman nagkakatalo yan. if you have an inferior gear, work around its limitations and device a workflow that complements it's weaknesses. but if i were to buy and have the two models to choose from, i'd go for the D90. it ergonomically fits my hands well (like the d80), features are more than my D80 so more than enough for my needs as a hobbyist, latest model pa kaya more pogi points to boot. Very Happy

sir tutik pwede ba pa mentor, kakabili ko lang D90 eh. puro Point and shoot features pa lang nagagamit ko eh hehe...
Ariel
Ariel
CGP Newbie
CGP Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by celes Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:37 pm

for everything that a photography "enthusiast" might need without paying a pro camera price, get a D700. all these issues about features and what not will be put to rest. the D700 (IMHO) is the ultimate DSLR camera. (sorry i am not a canon user so i dont know any model fr canon that matches the full frame + superb features + [relatively] low price point of the D700). tricky is you should prepare to spend at least S$3600 on the body alone. (that's P120k+) not to mention the full frame lenses.

the rest are all very relative really and will end up everyone saying it's not the camera, it's the shooter + pick the one that suits you best etc.

now if you are in a really really small budget then just go get the D40 before it disappears. sir vertex has got that and you should check out his shots - better than most folks who use fancier cameras - it's the cheapest DSLR with just the right features all a newbie or hobbyist might ever need.
celes
celes
Pogi
Pogi

Number of posts : 2958
Registration date : 25/11/2008

Back to top Go down

Post by tutik Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:37 pm

Ariel wrote:
tutik wrote:sayang di kasama ang D80 or older models sa choices coz i'd strongly recommend it specially at these times when people seeks the best bang for the buck. sa workflow, lenses at mata lang naman nagkakatalo yan. if you have an inferior gear, work around its limitations and device a workflow that complements it's weaknesses. but if i were to buy and have the two models to choose from, i'd go for the D90. it ergonomically fits my hands well (like the d80), features are more than my D80 so more than enough for my needs as a hobbyist, latest model pa kaya more pogi points to boot. Very Happy

sir tutik pwede ba pa mentor, kakabili ko lang D90 eh. puro Point and shoot features pa lang nagagamit ko eh hehe...

sure Ariel no prob! although 'mentor' sounds too much, just call us buddies. my regular shooting buddies here are Chie and Odie. will keep you posted on future photoshoot plans, most likely every fridays or saturdays.

tutik
tutik
The Spy
The Spy

Back to top Go down

Post by bokkins Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:56 pm

ito pala ung link ng shots ng video using dslr. maganda din. Smile

http://istilldontknowhowto.multiply.com/video
bokkins
bokkins
Special Ops
Special Ops

Number of posts : 10369
Registration date : 18/09/2008

Http://bokkins3d.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Ariel Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:47 pm

tutik wrote:
Ariel wrote:

sure Ariel no prob! although 'mentor' sounds too much, just call us buddies. my regular shooting buddies here are Chie and Odie. will keep you posted on future photoshoot plans, most likely every fridays or saturdays.

salamat sir tutik, chie is kettlerender right? Mentor ka raw kasi nya hehehe...
Ariel
Ariel
CGP Newbie
CGP Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by eyecon01 Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:47 pm

Ariel, congrats on the D90! I would have chosen that one if I had more budget, kaso I'm in a budget and more of an enthusiast rather than a hobbiest.

D700 is of course an awesome camera along with all the other full frame camera at that level... for its price it should be!

Ok lng mga bro to talk about this here in this thread. Each one has his opinion and I do appreciate it that your sharing this here. At least kung merong magbabasa nito they would know which model to buy. Like I said, I'm not that particular for the brand, its the final output and user friendliness I'm after for... after all I would be using this camera for a long time. Smile
eyecon01
eyecon01
CGP MatPinter
CGP MatPinter

Back to top Go down

Post by eyecon01 Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:48 pm

Oon nga pala, kahit OT comment nyo ok lng just make sure at least ma coconnect sa topic natin, wag lng yung... "Michael Jackson is Dead" kalayo Smile
eyecon01
eyecon01
CGP MatPinter
CGP MatPinter

Back to top Go down

Post by Kurt Ramius Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:53 pm

Sir Bokkins ganda ng kuha ah... ano gamit m slr? saka ung mga albums mo ang lulupit, naalala ko tuloy ung mga gimik during college days.. pwede ba makahingi ng kopya hehehehehe...

Kurt Ramius
CGP Newbie
CGP Newbie

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 21/06/2009

Back to top Go down

Post by Kurt Ramius Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:09 pm

Ariel wrote:
Kurt Ramius wrote:waaaaaaaaaaa..... akala ko nakapagdecide na ako na D90 ang bibilhin ko, nang mabasa ang thread na ito nagdalawang isip na nman ako hu hu hu hu... ano ba talaga maganda???

D90 na bilhin mo sir, kakabili ko lang last week. ok naman ang features, though new user pa lang ako ng dslr hehe..

pre mamaya pa lang ako bibili, punta muna ako ng school ng anak ko ayaw na pumasok eh hehehehehe...

Kurt Ramius
CGP Newbie
CGP Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by bokkins Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:44 pm

Kurt Ramius wrote:Sir Bokkins ganda ng kuha ah... ano gamit m slr? saka ung mga albums mo ang lulupit, naalala ko tuloy ung mga gimik during college days.. pwede ba makahingi ng kopya hehehehehe...

ay hindi sakin yun bro. sinample ko lang. sa friend ko yun sa multpily. Smile
bokkins
bokkins
Special Ops
Special Ops

Back to top Go down

Post by Ariel Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:56 pm

bokkins wrote:
Kurt Ramius wrote:Sir Bokkins ganda ng kuha ah... ano gamit m slr? saka ung mga albums mo ang lulupit, naalala ko tuloy ung mga gimik during college days.. pwede ba makahingi ng kopya hehehehehe...

ay hindi sakin yun bro. sinample ko lang. sa friend ko yun sa multpily. Smile

sir bokkins san tumutugtog yung friend mo?
Ariel
Ariel
CGP Newbie
CGP Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by bokkins Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:08 pm

sa simbahan lang yata yan bro. hehe, OT na tayo. back to topic. Smile

mas mura nga talaga ang 500d bro. although ang kalevel talaga ng d90 ay ang 50d. kaya medyo mahirap din icompare. Smile
bokkins
bokkins
Special Ops
Special Ops

Back to top Go down

Post by Kurt Ramius Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:21 pm

sa tulad kong walang alam sa slr at ngayon pa lang bibili, ok lang ba na saka na muna ako bumili ng dricabi, tripod at xtra battery?

bokkins wrote:sa simbahan lang yata yan bro. hehe, OT na tayo. back to topic. Smile

mas mura nga talaga ang 500d bro. although ang kalevel talaga ng d90 ay ang 50d. kaya medyo mahirap din icompare. Smile

Kurt Ramius
CGP Newbie
CGP Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by bokkins Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:41 pm

Kurt Ramius wrote:sa tulad kong walang alam sa slr at ngayon pa lang bibili, ok lang ba na saka na muna ako bumili ng dricabi, tripod at xtra battery?

bokkins wrote:sa simbahan lang yata yan bro. hehe, OT na tayo. back to topic. Smile

yup bro. tamang tama lang yan. upgrade nalang pag ready ka na for a more challenging and exciting shoot. Smile
bokkins
bokkins
Special Ops
Special Ops

Back to top Go down

Post by Ariel Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:02 am

eyecon01 wrote:Ariel, congrats on the D90! I would have chosen that one if I had more budget, kaso I'm in a budget and more of an enthusiast rather than a hobbiest.

D700 is of course an awesome camera along with all the other full frame camera at that level... for its price it should be!

Ok lng mga bro to talk about this here in this thread. Each one has his opinion and I do appreciate it that your sharing this here. At least kung merong magbabasa nito they would know which model to buy. Like I said, I'm not that particular for the brand, its the final output and user friendliness I'm after for... after all I would be using this camera for a long time. Smile

eyecon1 thanks, congrats din sa new toy mo. I'm sure satisfied ka dyan sa nabili mo. Saka ka na lang bili ng mas hi-end gaya ng Nikon D3 pag sawa ka na dyan hehe.. Happy shooting, welcome to d club.. Smile
Ariel
Ariel
CGP Newbie
CGP Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by Kurt Ramius Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:05 am

waaaaaa... wala ako nabili, wala ng stocks, ang daming store ang pinuntahan ko..napagod lang ako hu hu hu...
ayaw yta sakin ng photography hehehehe

bokkins wrote:
Kurt Ramius wrote:sa tulad kong walang alam sa slr at ngayon pa lang bibili, ok lang ba na saka na muna ako bumili ng dricabi, tripod at xtra battery?

yup bro. tamang tama lang yan. upgrade nalang pag ready ka na for a more challenging and exciting shoot. Smile

Kurt Ramius
CGP Newbie
CGP Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by tutik Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:14 am

eyecon01 wrote:Ariel, congrats on the D90! I would have chosen that one if I had more budget, kaso I'm in a budget and more of an enthusiast rather than a hobbiest.

camera body lang yan bro, in fact mas lalo ka mapapagastos pag building up on lenses ka na kc ang canon lenses maraming klaseng mount. ang kagandahan sa nikon kahit lenses during the film days swak kahit sa bagong bodies. nagkalat ang mga second hand pro prime lenses na walang motor, kung gusto mo makatipid without sacrificing quality sa nikon ka na. isa pang complains ng mga canoners di daw kasama ang lense hood pag bumili ka ng lense. dagdag gastos pa kung bibili ka ng hood. eto pa huli, among my friends andami ako kilala na nasiraan sila within the warranty period for unkown reasons. so far wala pa ako kilalang nikoner friend na nasiraan. Very Happy

tutik
tutik
The Spy
The Spy

Back to top Go down

Post by celes Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:22 am

tutik wrote:so far wala pa ako kilalang nikoner friend na nasiraan. Very Happy

OT: nasiraan ng bait meron :p sa kakabili ng lens afterwards hehe
celes
celes
Pogi
Pogi

Number of posts : 2958
Registration date : 25/11/2008

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:44 am

reji_0711 (7/9/2009 8:44:44 PM): pareho kya ng ways of shootin ang nikkon ska canon?
Chie (7/9/2009 8:44:51 PM): oo
Chie (7/9/2009 8:45:01 PM): p-press mo din un shutter

peace man lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next