Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Critique vs Criticism and Giving Kind Criticism (avoid being critical)

+13
hibachi
pixelburn
3DZONE
celes
chevy chase
pedio84
nomeradona
lakaivikoi
charles_manson
evilution
jenaro
v_wrangler
mammoo_03
17 posters

:: General :: Tambayan

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Critique vs Criticism and Giving Kind Criticism (avoid being critical) - Page 2 Empty Critique vs Criticism and Giving Kind Criticism (avoid being critical)

Post by mammoo_03 Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:17 am

First topic message reminder :

sir/mam, hope this thread would somehow change our outlook about criticism and being a critique.

CRITIQUE VERSUS CRITICISM

Many intellectual "critics" have drawn an often quite useful distinction between "criticism" and "critique."

1. Some critics suggest that "critique" is all "criticism" which is concerned to explain how and especially why the problems and limitations it identifies in its object exist as they do: i.e. to explain what gives rise to and makes possible -- indeed, at times, makes necessary -- the existence of these problems and limitations. Critique, in other words, does not rest content with merely announcing that it finds object X to be problematic and limited in ways Y according to standards and criteria Z, but instead always proceeds beyond this to provide an explanation for why these problems and limitations exist -- and persist -- as they do. Criticism, therefore, includes "critique-al" as well as many "non-critique-al" methods and practices.

2. Other critics suggest that "critique" is roughly equivalent with what I have described above as "political criticism," while "criticism" is roughly equivalent in turn with "moral criticism."

3. Still others are even more precise than this in marking out a distinction between "critique" and "criticism." These critics suggest that "critique" is concerned primarily with understanding an object sufficiently to enable its "transformation" (and not merely its reformation) by accounting for its dynamic connections with and determinations of and by other objects within a series or totality of related objects. "Critique" attempts to understand why an object is as it is so that it can be changed, most often in a fundamental or radical way so that it will be made something substantially new and different such that the "old object" is either substantially improved and enhanced or has been substantially transcended and superseded. "Criticism," in contrast, is understood by these critics to remain content with passing "judgment" upon an object in a way which "reifies" the object, separating and freezing it in abstract isolation from its real and concrete relations with other objects. Criticism is not directly concerned with or interested in understanding so as to change its object.

How to Give Kind Criticism, and Avoid Being Critical

Every Thursday is Happiness Day on Zen Habits.

Can you give someone criticism without hurting their feelings or making them angry? Can you do it kindly?

I think that’s a difficult proposition for most people, but in truth it’s possible to give criticism with kindness and have a decent chance of having the person take it constructively.

Last week, it seems that my post on How to Accept Criticism with Grace and Appreciation struck a chord with many people. It seems that most of us have a hard time accepting criticism without getting hurt or angry or defensive … and just as many of us have a hard time giving criticism without making others hurt or angry or defensive.

Today, we’ll look at how to give criticism with kindness, so that the person who receives it is more likely to take it well.

We’ll also look at why criticism is often the wrong approach to take: positive suggestions are even better.

Why We Give Criticism

I think it’s important to step back and look at why people give criticism. There are a few common reasons (although there are many more possible reasons):

To help someone improve. Sometimes criticism is actual honest feedback, meant to help the person we’re criticizing. We want to help them get better.

To see a change that we would like. If we regularly read a magazine or blog, for example, there might be something that often bothers us that we’d like to see changed. Perhaps the person uses too many list headlines, or has too many spelling and grammatical errors. So criticism is meant to help get that change enacted.

To further the discussion. Criticism can be a way to get a good, intelligent discussion about something going, to take it to a new level, to explore new areas of the discussion, to give an opposing viewpoint, to impart new knowledge.
To hurt someone. Often we just don’t like someone, and want to get at them, attack them. Criticism in this case is destructive.
To vent our frustrations. Sometimes we are just frustrated with something, or are having a bad day, and need to vent that negative anger.

To boost our ego. Some people like to show how powerful or intelligent or knowledgeable they are, and use criticism as a way of doing that. They are puffing themselves up, challenging others, doing an Alpha Male thing.
Before you offer criticism, consider your reasons. If your reason is one of the first three, then this article is for you. If it’s one of the second three reasons, you won’t get anything out of this article. If that’s the case, I suggest you stop yourself and think long and hard about why you feel the need to do that.
Using criticism to help someone improve, to see a change affected, or to contribute to a discussion, are all good reasons for doing it. Now the question is, how to do it kindly, without attacking, so that your purposes are accomplished.

Why Criticism Hurts or Angers

People don’t often take criticism well, even if it’s done for good reasons (one of the first three reasons above, for example). But why? Why can’t they just simply see it as a way to improve?
Well, there are many reasons, of course, but here are just a few:
The criticism is mean-spirited. If you use insulting or degrading language, or put down the person in any way, they will focus on that, and not on the rest of the criticism.

It focuses on the person. If you focus on the person (”You’re a lousy writer”) instead of their actions, you will make them angry or defensive or hurt.

They assume you’re attacking them. Even if you focus on actions, many people take all criticism as an attack on themselves. No matter what your intention or language. They can’t take criticism in a detached, non-personal way. You can’t change that about them, other than pointing them to last week’s article (which will also probably be taken as an attack).
They assume they’re right. Many people assume what they say or do is right, and that the criticism is wrong. They don’t like to hear that they’re wrong, whether it’s true or not.

Now, there are other reasons, but I wanted to point out a few of the most common. You cannot change some of these things about the person receiving the criticism. You can try, but your success rate probably won’t be very great.
However, you can change your actions — how you communicate the criticism. Or whether you criticize at all.
How to Deliver Criticism Kindly (and Not Criticize At All)

Looking at the above reasons that criticism isn’t taken well, the keys are:

Don’t attack attack, insult, or be mean in any way
Talk about actions or things, not the person.
Don’t tell the person he’s wrong.
Don’t criticize at all.

But … what about giving kind criticism? How do you help someone improve, see the changes you want, or contribute to a meaningful discussion?

By offering a specific, positive suggestion instead.

So instead of criticizing, which is rarely taken well, offer a specific, positive suggestion. Let’s take a look at the elements of this method, why it works, and how to do it:

Suggestion, not criticism. As people sometimes will assume that you’re attacking them personally, no matter how nice your criticism and how much you focus on actions, a criticism is often not the way to go if you want 1) for them to improve; 2) to see actual change; or 3) to contribute to a meaningful discussion. Instead, suggest a change. A suggestion can be positive, it can be seen as helpful, it can be seen as an instrument for improvement and change. People often take suggestions well (but not always). So a suggestion is more useful than a criticism in many cases. Not always — sometimes it can be useful to give a nice criticism if someone is open to it. But in many cases, a suggestion is better.

Positive. Much criticism is negative. That hurts the discussion, because things can take an ugly turn from there. It hurts the person receiving it, making it less likely that they’ll take it as a way to change. Instead, be positive: “I’d love it if …” or “I think you’d do a great job with …” or “One thing that could make this blog even better is …”. And don’t do it in a sarcastic way … be genuinely positive. This keeps the discussion positive, and people are more likely to receive it in a positive way.

Specific. It’s easy to give vague criticism: “You’re a sucky writer,” “I can’t stand this blog,” or “You really should write better posts … this one is lame.” Anyone can do that. Being specific is more difficult: “I don’t like to see numbers in your headlines all the time,” “The first two paragraphs of your posts are long and rambling,” or “Your face is lumpy.” It’s harder still to make a specific, positive suggestion: “I’d love to see more images of kittens on Zen Habits,” or “Make my day and write a post about how to criticize your boss without him knowing you’re doing it,” or “I would appreciate fewer ads and more content.”

Be kind. It’s important that you be gentle and kind in your suggestions. People have a hard time accepting any criticism, gentle or not, but if it’s harsh, it’ll almost always have bad consequences. Instead, ask yourself, “Would I like to hear that about myself?” And: “If so, what would be the nicest way to say it?”

Relate to actions. Never criticize the person. Always criticize the actions. And when you’re making suggestions, make suggestions about actions, not about the person. Not: “Maybe you could become a less lumpy person?” Better: “I suggest you get face smoothener … it did wonders
for me!”[/justify][/justify]

Last edited by mammoo_03 on Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:39 am; edited 2 times in total
mammoo_03
mammoo_03
The Exhibitioner
The Exhibitioner

Number of posts : 2417
Registration date : 20/09/2008

http://www.coroflot.com/archmlcm

Back to top Go down

Critique vs Criticism and Giving Kind Criticism (avoid being critical) - Page 2 Empty Re: Critique vs Criticism and Giving Kind Criticism (avoid being critical)

Post by celes Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:47 am

strange. i see a pattern here. anyway.. akin na lang un :p

vertex yup seryoso yan napakatimely nga, dapat talagang takpan bibig mo nowadays (me swine flu kasi ngayon lol)

(now - if i addressed that quip to a CGP member with a vitamin B deficiency most likely dugu dugo na ang likod ko.) - translation - kung ang pinagsabihan ko niyan eh pikon at di ko kilala, iba dating niyan. isn't language so complex?

this is precisely why a critique or comment is not based on what you say, but on the circumstances surrounding it.

celes
Pogi
Pogi

Number of posts : 2958
Registration date : 25/11/2008

Back to top Go down

Critique vs Criticism and Giving Kind Criticism (avoid being critical) - Page 2 Empty Re: Critique vs Criticism and Giving Kind Criticism (avoid being critical)

Post by Guest Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:56 am

charles_manson wrote:oo nga noh,dapat pala di muna ako post nang work ko dito lalo na kung di pa ako sure,maging critique nalang ako,mas madali pa

you can not learn through mistakes of others ALONE ..
how can you improve if you yourself got this way of reasoning.
be Brave.. let others see your work.. and be Sport enough to face the consequences.
you post the artwork for all access..
be glad if someone likes your post..but never let it go through the insides of your head.. IT DOES GROW BIG without you knowing it..
though sometimes you have to accept the fact that there are people who are more keen to details.. BE MAN ENOUGH to learn from them... pare, have the balls to face it!!!
and there are also people with big heads that contains small brains.. or heads full of brains but other parts are slightly used..
just remember brains are put there for your full consumptions.. please use it to think good things..
and when you learn something good .. share it to your friends..
it wouldn't hurt to be kind and conscientious.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:57 am

MUSHROOM!!!
I would love to voice out what you are thinking...

please.. let me.. let me...

Last edited by KettleRenderer on Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:00 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by jenaro Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:59 am

mga sir...PM na lang tayo...para di ma OT...Back to the topic please. peace man
jenaro
jenaro
Peter Pran
Peter Pran

Number of posts : 3132
Registration date : 22/01/2009

Back to top Go down

Post by mammoo_03 Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:38 am

Constructive Criticism Doesn't Always Mean a Bad Thing...

Posted by: frodonet

Criticism doesn't mean a bad thing. Why do i say that? It's only through criticism that we know we are our mistakes and weakness lie. Let's give an example, which a real life example.

Let's say you are standing below a castle and there's someone on top of it. So you throw a rock on that person on top of you, of course he'll retaliate maybe by 3/4 rocks against you. But if you were to wrap the rock with a paper embedded with a message and throw at him, he might retaliate and read your message that you are trying to convey. That's the difference between pure criticism and constructive criticism.

We as generations of the future do not always need to hear about the good things that happen, because a good thing won't make us improve ourself. But a constructive criticism on a matter on whatever the agenda is can help us understand where the problem lies and from the solution we produce, can help improve a certain situation.

It's hard to give out your opinions which are passive because we are as humans are filled with anger and emotions but still it's doesn't mean it's not feasible. We need to start changing ourselves for the better, whether improving conditions or solving problems, we need to learn to accept criticism by others. Even we sometimes get bad criticism, we can always change it into a constructive one. Take a step backwards for a second and ponder, is there a good point on what that guy is saying?

If there is, look into your heart and change it for the better. Of course, in times of our lives, especially in the Asian mindset where everyone is kind of selfish, it sounds like a big leap towards humanity. But all for the better, we need to learn other people or society's criticism because its the only way where we know we are our weakness lies.

So remember, when the next time you receive a criticism, ask yourself and change it into something positive.

footnote:
http://blog.thestar.com.my
mammoo_03
mammoo_03
The Exhibitioner
The Exhibitioner

Back to top Go down

Post by hibachi Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:43 am

Sir Charles,

may nauna na sayo na ganyan yung gawain and style nya... hehehe late ka na bro.

syndrome na he can dish it out pero pag siya na yng ginawang ng critique sadly, he can't take it in and accept it.

maliit ang mundo para sa mga taong mahilig makisingit sa eksena

the hibachi has you!
hibachi
hibachi
CGP Newbie
CGP Newbie

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 03/06/2009

Back to top Go down

Post by wireframan Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:27 am

Sa akin simple lang if you know how to criticize you should know also how to accept criticism.

Hindi naman nababasi sa galing at expertise and pagiging Critique..IMHO lang minsan aside sa mga nakikita natin inside the circle naka base din sa characteristic at attitude ng isang tao, kung talagang mabigat cya mag salita sa personal talagang mabigat basahin ang mag comments nya..pero hindi ko naman nilalahat ha.. meron din naman rude in personal but gentle pag nag comment kasi pina paeral ang professionalism..

Marami sa atin dito pag ng bigay ng comment parang walang preno! paulanan agad ang TS 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 kaagad. Wag naman sana ganyan..that's unprofessional..parang tambay sa kanto?..and I think that is not a Kind Criticism..marami akong napansing critique dito ganyan mag bigay ng comments pero kung sila naman ang e criticize gagawa pa ng rason at minsan hindi nag rereply sa nag bigay ng comment.mmmm..bato2x sa langit ang tamaan wag magalit...

Back to critique - dapat acknowledge muna sa lahat na mga magandang elements na nakikita sa isang image bago paulanan. Kung pwede gawing 50/50 (praise and critics)

Criticism - dito naman dapat make sure not to use too heavy words kung pwede gawin nalang flowering words para mas appealing sa TS at maluwang sa dib2x..(Pano ba mag comment with flowering words? hahaha d ko pa na try. kayo?)

Opppps! sorry for the OT.. minsan lang po ako ganito mag salita I'm a very polite person..
ok mga peeps! humble opinion ko lang po yan ha..at mga observations dito sa cgp. yan lang po pasincya napo kayo insomia na naman kasi! What a Face
wireframan
wireframan
CGP Apprentice
CGP Apprentice

Number of posts : 444
Registration date : 26/01/2009

Back to top Go down

Post by pricklypineapple Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:37 am

aah..stumbled across this...my sentiments exactly (kinda). That of which 'hits' the critique (or critique wannabe) and the one being criticized

http://thewealthyattitude.blogspot.com/2009/03/they-dont-erect-statues-to-critics.html

summary:
1. The Fear Of Criticism Is The Number One Reason Some People Choose Never To Get Started.
2. If You Don't Think Much Of Yourself, The Easiest Thing To Do Is Let Others Think For You.
3. Why Do You Give A Rat's Ass What They Have To Say?
4. Their Life Sucks And They Want You To Join Them.
5. Criticism Should Be Offered Only When Solicited.
6. I Have A Few Thoughts That Might Help If You're Interested.
7. If They're Not Interested, Shut The Hell Up.

Wink
pricklypineapple
pricklypineapple
CGP Newbie
CGP Newbie

Number of posts : 92
Registration date : 19/02/2009

Back to top Go down

Post by pricklypineapple Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:44 am

OT: and this...IS my bible (in some sort of way)
Title: It's Not How Good You Are, It's How Good You Want to Be
A handbook of how to succeed in life by an advertising guru.

http://www.phaidon.com/Default.aspx/Web/its-not-how-good-you-are-its-how-good-you-want-to-be-9780714843377

definitely a very god read...
(makes you think about the phrase ,"be your own worst critique"...if their critique is bad, yours gotta be worse. always ask 'what's wrong with the picture.)
pricklypineapple
pricklypineapple
CGP Newbie
CGP Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by v_wrangler Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:48 am

wireframan - kanya kanya talaga ng style.

Napapansin ko parang baliktad. Hindi ibig sabihin mali ang post ni wireframan, I would like to say there is another side to that coin.

Criticism, flowering words can make stupid people. Kaya merong tao na bulag sa katotohanan, Kala nya gwaping sya kasi sabi ng nanay nya. Di nya nakita sarili nya sa totoong buhay. Di ko alam ang tawag sa tagalog -

Wakkatenai.

Appealing, sa palagay ko its the other way around. It has to be appealing to the audiences lalo na kung sumisingil ka sa kliyente. With regards to crits and those asking for crits. Yong nagtatanong ang hunihingi ng pabor - hindi yung magkokomento.

Walang pakialam kung isang trak pa ng commento yan. It wil lalways come to the last point. DOes it has substance - does the post really mean something? By following the suggestions, will it make me a better designer or my image uberexcellent?

If the answer is no, move on and disregard - don't defend your ego anymore.

if the answer is yes, kahit pa ingles, tagalog, hapon o bisaya ang pagkakasabi sa yo. Pumikit, at magpasalamat.

Di din biro ang magkomento ano Its a waste of time I'd rather be paid and appreciated!

Hindi ako galit ha:)
v_wrangler
v_wrangler
CGP Loverboy
CGP Loverboy

Number of posts : 1994
Registration date : 29/03/2009

http://www.maxworksdigital.com

Back to top Go down

Post by celes Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:50 am

wireframan wrote:

Marami sa atin dito pag ng bigay ng comment parang walang preno! paulanan agad ang TS 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 kaagad. Wag naman sana ganyan..that's unprofessional..parang tambay sa kanto?..and I think that is not a Kind Criticism..marami akong napansing critique dito ganyan mag bigay ng comments pero kung sila naman ang e criticize gagawa pa ng rason at minsan hindi nag rereply sa nag bigay ng comment.mmmm..bato2x sa langit ang tamaan wag magalit...

good points there, although what do you mean by "paulanan agad ang TS 1,2,3,4,5 kaagad"?
celes
celes
Pogi
Pogi

Back to top Go down

Post by wireframan Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:54 am

mushroom wrote:
wireframan wrote:

good points there, although what do you mean by "paulanan agad ang TS 1,2,3,4,5 kaagad"?

This one

1. comment bla bla bla
2. comment bla bla bla
3. comment bla bla bla
I hope makatulong

Parang ganyan...
wireframan
wireframan
CGP Apprentice
CGP Apprentice

Back to top Go down

Post by celes Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:56 am

Pineapple.. ok din ba na

"it's not how good you are, but how good you want others to be"?

Does that hold water? tongue
celes
celes
Pogi
Pogi

Back to top Go down

Post by celes Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:02 am

thanks wireframan. clear thumbsup
celes
celes
Pogi
Pogi

Back to top Go down

Post by pricklypineapple Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:11 am

mushroom wrote:Pineapple.. ok din ba na

...er, well if you're the boss or the mom/dad or a really close friend or luv one...then yeah. lol
if none of the above...refer to my earlier post #7. If They're Not Interested, Shut The Hell Up.
BUT if they asked for it...then they better shut up and listen as well.
and if they do really ask for it, i think (Lord) Vertex's 'contributions' are just mild Tobasco sauce...am sure there are hotter ones there (am not referring to the babes. heheh). Sometimes in life, you just need to be either a prick or to be pricked (purposely or accidentally, it dont matter).

tongue
pricklypineapple
pricklypineapple
CGP Newbie
CGP Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by wireframan Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:16 am

From sir V: Criticism, flowering words can make stupid people. Kaya merong tao na bulag sa katotohanan, Kala nya gwaping sya kasi sabi ng nanay nya. Di nya nakita sarili nya sa totoong buhay. Di ko alam ang tawag sa tagalog -

You mena this one? wow! master ang galeng naman nito post pa! yes talagang hindi ako sang-ayon dyan ibig ko pong sabihin sa flowering words in general is wag masyadong nakakagulat ang mag bibitiwang salita..sana bigyan kunting lambot..para d naman mabulonan ang makabasa. Yes tama kanya2x style talaga ang pag bigay ng comments. But I donnu kung meron ba talagang standards dito sa pag bigay ng kind critics o wala or anu ibig sabihin at ang laman nito?

Basta sa akin simple lang. 50/50
wireframan
wireframan
CGP Apprentice
CGP Apprentice

Back to top Go down

Post by celes Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:24 am

pricklypineapple wrote:
mushroom wrote:Pineapple.. ok din ba na

...er, well if you're the boss or the mom/dad or a really close friend or luv one...then yeah. lol
if none of the above...refer to my earlier post #7. If They're Not Interested, Shut The Hell Up.
BUT if they asked for it...then they better shut up and listen as well.
and if they do really ask for it, i think (Lord) Vertex's 'contributions' are just mild Tobasco sauce...am sure there are hotter ones there (am not referring to the babes. heheh). Sometimes in life, you just need to be either a prick or to be pricked (purposely or accidentally, it dont matter).

tongue

great, so since im ur luv one what i just said holds hehe.

oh well to all, even (and most especially) the 'masters' should be very open to criticisms (take note - not just critiques). the higher you go, the more you will be scrutinized. it's the only way to keep pace in this fast moving CG industry. otherwise you'll be left out and obscured. a valuable lesson i learned in my (far) younger days: IMPROVISE, ADAPT, OVERCOME. hippie
celes
celes
Pogi
Pogi

Back to top Go down

Post by archimonyo Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:38 pm

KettleRenderer wrote:
charles_manson wrote:oo nga noh,dapat pala di muna ako post nang work ko dito lalo na kung di pa ako sure,maging critique nalang ako,mas madali pa

you can not learn through mistakes of others ALONE ..
how can you improve if you yourself got this way of reasoning.
be Brave.. let others see your work.. and be Sport enough to face the consequences.
you post the artwork for all access..
be glad if someone likes your post..but never let it go through the insides of your head.. IT DOES GROW BIG without you knowing it..
though sometimes you have to accept the fact that there are people who are more keen to details.. BE MAN ENOUGH to learn from them... pare, have the balls to face it!!!
and there are also people with big heads that contains small brains.. or heads full of brains but other parts are slightly used..
just remember brains are put there for your full consumptions.. please use it to think good things..
and when you learn something good .. share it to your friends..
it wouldn't hurt to be kind and conscientious.

Hey, Ms kettle renderer..

I love you on this specific post of yours.. nice views parang hindi ikaw ang nagsasalita hihi!

I support you on this.
archimonyo
archimonyo
CGP Newbie
CGP Newbie

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 12/05/2009

Back to top Go down

Post by mammoo_03 Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:55 am

Recovery from criticism (hit and run). by www.fluentsent.com

When you keep getting knocked down.
It’s that truckload of criticism again.

Criticism — the unasked-for kind that’s chock full of hurtful judgments — is no fun, to say the least.

That’s not exactly news.

But aside from the unpleasantness of it all, the experience of being criticised makes everything else harder.

And then, oh boy, let the second-guessing begin.

You start wondering if maybe you’re wrong, and they’re right. Maybe you are all those horrible things they said.

Or you gradually find the excitement about the thing you were so passionate about draining away.

Even worse, this kind of criticism can completely slow you down … and/or knock you way, way off course. The way a logjam changes the flow of a river.

And at the very least, you feel annoyed and resentful.

If you want to learn ways to deal with criticism, I can point you to some great books and other resources, but I really want to make a much more important point, because that nasty criticism isn’t really the issue here.

Because it’s actually not about the criticism.

The issue is never the criticism itself — it’s always our relationship to the criticism.

Someone else’s words, opinions, mean little poke poke poking at you — whatever it is — is a reflection of their stuff.

Their stuff.

Your reaction? A reflection of your stuff.

Your relationship to criticism is about how you interact with this stuff. With your stuff and with their stuff.

The better you get at being able to separate yours from theirs, the easier it is to work on your relationship to the criticism.

But for now, three important points.

1. Insulted = a sign your stuff is showing up

I talked about this more in depth in my noozletter on dealing with uncomfortable situations, but a quick quote to refresh your memory:

If your brother-in-law tells you your “hot pink wings make you look like a wanton buffoon”, you probably won’t be offended. Unless you have hot pink wings.

If he says, “Nice love handles”, it hurts, because you fear he might be right.

Next time you’re insulted, ask yourself:

“Whose stuff is this? Which part is my stuff and which part is their stuff? And what can I do for my stuff?”

2. Living for compliments = more stuff again

Okay, I have to warn you that this part is really, really hard.

The first time I encountered the idea that compliments and insults are (ideally) equally irrelevant … well, let’s just say I had a hard time with that.

Eventually I learned that my focus needs to be on getting better at being my own source of encouragement and support.

The better I get at being my own cheerleader (but in a believable way, not in an annoying “fake it til you make it” way), it gets easier for me to receive compliments without being so attached to what I think they say about me.

Does that make sense? I hope so.

The idea is that you work on releasing the need for outside legitimacy in all of its forms, which is actually the next point.

No, wait, it’s the whole point.

3. Releasing the need for outside legitimacy = the whole point.

This is important:

If you’re waiting for someone else — or something else — to confirm your right to feel okay about yourself, this is no good.

The thing we all need to practice is gradually letting go of the need for both the criticism and the compliments — so you can get to the point where you can trust your own abilities and opinions.

All other feedback, whether positive or negative, is secondary. It doesn’t define you. It’s just more information for your inner detective.

Stepping off the criticism rollercoaster

Not to go all yoga-teacher on your ass but the answer (to the question “how the heck am I supposed to do this?”) is always going to be turning inward.

The information and the strength you need are all going to be found inside you.

Going inward means paying attention to the feelings that come up in reaction to specific situations. It means tracking patterns. It means forgiving yourself for being a real, live human being who has stuff just like everyone else.

And yeah, it’s also going to be all about practicing trust. Trusting yourself to be able to separate your stuff from their stuff, your criticism from their criticism.

Trusting that one day you are going to be able to trust your own opinion of yourself instead of getting sideswiped by someone else’s criticism.

Trusting that this process won’t always be as incredibly hard as it is right now.

Mini-exercise for moments of criticism

When you get the criticism (or the compliment!), try to notice what’s going on.

Tell yourself, “Whoah, this is me reacting to criticism. This is my stuff coming up. Okay, this is where I am right now.”

Then ask yourself the following three questions

1. “Is this feeling true for me? Is this what I really think myself?”

2. “Is the information in this criticism (or compliment) helpful for me?”
3. “How can I get better at giving myself a warm, cozy feeling when I need it, rather than looking for it from an outside source?”
It doesn’t even matter what your answers are right now.

They aren’t going to be right or wrong anyway, and they’ll probably also change considerably over time depending on a whole bunch of different factors — and the fact that you’re growing and changing (yay, growth and change!)

The point is that when you ask these questions, you’re making space for yourself. Because you’re consciously working on your relationship to the criticism rather than being in the criticism.

Which is a pretty huge step.

And, if you don’t mind me throwing a little compliment your way, one that doesn’t necessarily need to have any bearing on what you think, it’s pretty impressive too.
mammoo_03
mammoo_03
The Exhibitioner
The Exhibitioner

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2