Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Minimalism in Architecture

+10
kurdaps!
cloud20
TheNamelessOne
vamp_lestat
Butz_Arki
jenaro
nomeradona
bokkins
glensky
oRangE.n.GreeN
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Minimalism in Architecture - Page 2 Empty Minimalism in Architecture

Post by oRangE.n.GreeN Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:36 pm

First topic message reminder :

Minimalism - probably is the most misused, abused, misunderstood, & overstated term in architecture. so, how about a discussion of its' history & framework, architects who pioneered & are followers of this "ism" like Tadao Ando (no, he's not hiro nakamura's sidekick).

so, shall we?

oRangE.n.GreeN
oRangE.n.GreeN
CGP Guru
CGP Guru

Number of posts : 1078
Registration date : 08/11/2008

Back to top Go down

Minimalism in Architecture - Page 2 Empty Re: Minimalism in Architecture

Post by TheNamelessOne Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:02 am

jenaro wrote:yes sir...note ko poh yan...thanks...namelessone,sa susunod kasi wag na tayong sumasabat...kanilang topic ito,they know everything...magbasa na lang tayo...ok? 2thumbsup

Then I believe that you can't comprehend what I'm trying to point out when I asked the question. Cloud20 was able to perceive on my true intentions.
Give credit where it's due.
Anyway, sorry if others think I'm just misleading the discussion, I'm not.

Just proceed.

TheNamelessOne
CGP Newbie
CGP Newbie

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 19/12/2008

Back to top Go down

Post by kurdaps! Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:15 am

Please stick to the Topic. Use PM for unrelated discussions.

Thanks.
kurdaps!
kurdaps!
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Number of posts : 5060
Registration date : 18/09/2008

http://www.sherwinboston.com

Back to top Go down

Post by oRangE.n.GreeN Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:46 am

jenaro wrote:yes sir...note ko poh yan...thanks...namelessone,sa susunod kasi wag na tayong sumasabat...kanilang topic ito,they know everything...magbasa na lang tayo...ok? 2thumbsup

point?

the intention of this thread is to have an open minded discussion using rational thinking. If rational arguments are not employed within all discussions then the point of the discussion must be to waste time. i respect your opinions jenaro, but if i feel it is contrary to what i believe in then allow me to say my piece. nothing personal.

mods - i believe that a warning is in order

oRangE.n.GreeN
oRangE.n.GreeN
CGP Guru
CGP Guru

Back to top Go down

Minimalism in Architecture - Page 2 Empty Farnworth House - eBook

Post by oRangE.n.GreeN Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:09 pm

i uploaded this e-book & if you're interested, you can DL it here - Farnsworth House

mods - i hope this is ok.

oRangE.n.GreeN
oRangE.n.GreeN
CGP Guru
CGP Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Butz_Arki Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:40 pm

npakapanget nmn tingnan sa forum ng ganitong mga words... pwede na maiwasan to..

Butz_Arki
Butz_Arki
Superbeast
Superbeast

Number of posts : 4081

Http://butzoy.multiply.com

Back to top Go down

Post by bokkins Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:59 pm

Butz_Arki wrote:npakapanget nmn tingnan sa forum ng ganitong mga words... pwede na maiwasan to..

Kailangan sumabat! what's the point of discussion? If you just sit down there and not say anything, ewan ko lang kung may mangyayari sayo.
bokkins
bokkins
Special Ops
Special Ops

Number of posts : 10369

Http://bokkins3d.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by jenaro Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:40 pm

Please stick to the Topic. Use PM for unrelated discussions.

Thanks.
jenaro
jenaro
Peter Pran
Peter Pran

Number of posts : 3132
Registration date : 22/01/2009

Back to top Go down

Post by jenaro Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:50 pm

*jenaro - please note that they use the adverb 'more'

The more attractive looking minimalist home designs are not truly minimalist, because these use more expensive building materials and finishes, and are relatively larger.

@Sir Orange - sir ung more na yan ano ba definition nuon sa ngayon?pede maging adaptive...kasi ung more na patungkol nuon eh baka less na ngayon as our learning evolve at prices of market value increase and decrease...kaya mahirap talaga madefine ang minimalist...as the time passed by nagiiba lahat...constant ang change kahit sa concept...
jenaro
jenaro
Peter Pran
Peter Pran

Back to top Go down

Post by oRangE.n.GreeN Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:21 am

jenaro wrote:*jenaro - please note that they use the adverb 'more'

The more attractive looking minimalist home designs are not truly minimalist, because these use more expensive building materials and finishes, and are relatively larger.

@Sir Orange - sir ung more na yan ano ba definition nuon sa ngayon?pede maging adaptive...kasi ung more na patungkol nuon eh baka less na ngayon as our learning evolve at prices of market value increase and decrease...kaya mahirap talaga madefine ang minimalist...as the time passed by nagiiba lahat...constant ang change kahit sa concept...

to define a word you have to seek for its root word, right? ganun din ang minimalism, you have to know ano ang framework ng 'ism' na ito. the concept doesn't change but the way you interpret it and how you execute it using materials available today.

more expensive - expensive, most of the time, is synonymous to quality. but the main consideration here is not 'how much' but superiority of the materials & finishes – “making use of its fundamental.” So if you go beyond what is necessary and opt to a more expensive material then you are moving away from the context of minimalism.

parang si lumen - praktikal at wais

oRangE.n.GreeN
oRangE.n.GreeN
CGP Guru
CGP Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by jenaro Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:49 am

oRangE.n.GreeN wrote:
jenaro wrote:*jenaro - please note that they use the adverb 'more'

to define a word you have to seek for its root word, right? ganun din ang minimalism, you have to know ano ang framework ng 'ism' na ito. the concept doesn't change but the way you interpret it and how you execute it using materials available today.

more expensive - expensive, most of the time, is synonymous to quality. but the main consideration here is not 'how much' but superiority of the materials & finishes – “making use of its fundamental.” So if you go beyond what is necessary and opt to a more expensive material then you are moving away from the context of minimalism.

parang si lumen - praktikal at wais

hehehehhe ah...eh sir for example ung example ng minimalism nuon eh ba na sa ngayon,gets ko na ung point nyo sir...pano nga naten masasabi kung ung availability ng materials nuon at sa ngayon may magkaiba na...dun ako kasi naguguluhan...hirapan ako explain,tulad ng sinabi nyo ung necessary ung necessary nuon eh iba sa necessary ngayon... scratch
jenaro
jenaro
Peter Pran
Peter Pran

Back to top Go down

Post by oRangE.n.GreeN Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:36 am

jenaro wrote:

hehehehhe ah...eh sir for example ung example ng minimalism nuon eh ba na sa ngayon,gets ko na ung point nyo sir...pano nga naten masasabi kung ung availability ng materials nuon at sa ngayon may magkaiba na...dun ako kasi naguguluhan...hirapan ako explain,tulad ng sinabi nyo ung necessary ung necessary nuon eh iba sa necessary ngayon... scratch

of course, i agree with you jenaro. pero try not to focus kung ano ang pinagkaiba ng noon at ngayon. set aside the materials used, ang gusto mo maachive e yung concept/framework ng minimalism na nadefine na ng mga naunang replies. timeless kumbaga ang definitions na ito. nagkakaiba iba lang sa materyales na gagamitin at kung pano imeet ang mga pangangailangan ng panahon.

oRangE.n.GreeN
oRangE.n.GreeN
CGP Guru
CGP Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by jenaro Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:43 am

oRangE.n.GreeN wrote:.

jenaro wrote:

of course, i agree with you jenaro. pero try not to focus kung ano ang pinagkaiba ng noon at ngayon. set aside the materials used, ang gusto mo maachive e yung concept/framework ng minimalism na nadefine na ng mga naunang replies. timeless kumbaga ang definitions na ito. nagkakaiba iba lang sa materyales na gagamitin at kung pano imeet ang mga pangangailangan ng panahon.

tama kayo sir...what impt is the end result for the user and the idea behind this concept ang mahalaga...
jenaro
jenaro
Peter Pran
Peter Pran

Back to top Go down

Post by wireframan Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:16 pm

Nice topic I love it! Thanks to the TS for sharing.

IMHO, Minimalism = Less is More = Less effort Maximum Effeciency

Minimalism is serenity or tranquility.

I donnu if you agree with me.

Sorry guys I know this is beyond the framework...
wireframan
wireframan
CGP Apprentice
CGP Apprentice

Number of posts : 444
Registration date : 26/01/2009

Back to top Go down

Post by Muggz Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:12 am

Aimen sir wireframan,,,
I also believe that minimalism is also derive from vernacular,,, correct me if im wrong,,,drunken
Muggz
Muggz
CGP Guru
CGP Guru

Number of posts : 1569
Registration date : 03/02/2009

Back to top Go down

Post by Critique1407 Tue May 05, 2009 12:20 pm

Nosebleed! Napakatechnical naman ng mga words! hehehe Tha't ok. Well i like reading this thread. Good discussion. It gives us more info in understading what minimalism is.
Critique1407
Critique1407
CGP Apprentice
CGP Apprentice

Number of posts : 288
Registration date : 09/11/2008

Back to top Go down

Minimalism in Architecture - Page 2 Empty LET'S GET MINIMALISTS

Post by archpatrik Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:18 pm

The term minimalism is also used to describe a trend in design and architecture where in the subject is reduced to its necessary elements. Minimalist design has been highly influenced by Japanese traditional design and architecture. In addition, the work of De Stijl artists is a major source of reference for this kind of work. De Stijl expanded the ideas that could be expressed by using basic elements such as lines and planes organized in very particular manners.

Architect Ludwig Mies van der Rohe adopted the motto "Less is more" to describe his aesthetic tactic of arranging the numerous necessary components of a building to create an impression of extreme simplicity, by enlisting every element and detail to serve multiple visual and functional purposes (such as designing a floor to also serve as the radiator, or a massive fireplace to also house the bathroom). Designer Buckminster Fuller adopted the engineer's goal of "Doing more with less", but his concerns were oriented towards technology and engineering rather than aesthetics. A similar sentiment was industrial designer Dieter Rams' motto, "Less but better", adapted from van der Rohe. The structure uses relatively simple elegant designs. The structure's beauty is also determined by playing with lighting, using the basic geometric shapes as outlines, using only a single shape or a small number of like shapes for components for design unity, using tasteful non-fussy bright color combinations, usually natural textures and colors, and clean and fine finishes. Using sometimes the beauty of natural patterns on stone and wood encapsulated within ordered simplified structures. May use color brightness balance and contrast between surface colors to improve visual aesthetics. The structure would usually have industrial and space age style utilities (lamps, stoves, stairs, etcetera), neat and straight components (like walls or stairs) that appear to be machined with machines, flat or nearly flat roofs, pleasing negative spaces, and large windows. This and science fiction may have contributed to the late twentieth century futuristic architecture design, and modern home decor. Modern minimalist home architecture with its unnecessary internal walls removed may have led to the popularity of the open plan kitchen and living room style.

Another modern master who exemplifies reductivist ideas is Luis Barragan. In minimalism, the architectural designers pay special attention to the connection between perfect planes, elegant lighting, and careful consideration of the void spaces left by the removal of three-dimensional shapes from an architectural design. The more attractive looking minimalist home designs are not truly minimalist, because these use more expensive building materials and finishes, and are relatively larger.

Contemporary architects working in this tradition include John Pawson, Eduardo Souto de Moura, Alvaro Siza, Tadao Ando, Alberto Campo Baeza,Yoshio Taniguchi, Peter Zumthor, Hugh Newell Jacobsen, Vincent Van Duysen, Claudio Silvestrin, Michael Gabellini, and Richard Gluckman.
archpatrik
archpatrik

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 10/07/2009

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2