Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Minimalism in Architecture

+10
kurdaps!
cloud20
TheNamelessOne
vamp_lestat
Butz_Arki
jenaro
nomeradona
bokkins
glensky
oRangE.n.GreeN
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Minimalism in Architecture Empty Minimalism in Architecture

Post by oRangE.n.GreeN Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:36 pm

Minimalism - probably is the most misused, abused, misunderstood, & overstated term in architecture. so, how about a discussion of its' history & framework, architects who pioneered & are followers of this "ism" like Tadao Ando (no, he's not hiro nakamura's sidekick).

so, shall we?

oRangE.n.GreeN
oRangE.n.GreeN
CGP Guru
CGP Guru

Number of posts : 1078
Registration date : 08/11/2008

Back to top Go down

Minimalism in Architecture Empty Re: Minimalism in Architecture

Post by glensky Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:33 pm

minimalism is often expressed as reducing an object into its basic neccesities or making use of its fundamental.
glensky
glensky
CGP Apprentice
CGP Apprentice

Number of posts : 440
Registration date : 06/10/2008

Back to top Go down

Post by bokkins Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:49 pm

Minimalsim started from the bauhaus movement. Reducing the design to its use. Thus coined the term form follows function.

-terms that relate to minimalism:
-less is more
-zen (something to do with the way of life not an art or something.)
-simple
-uncluttered.
-bare, stripped down to its natural form.

so far ito palang naisip ko. dagdagan ko nalang. very good topic by the way. Smile
bokkins
bokkins
Special Ops
Special Ops

Number of posts : 10369
Registration date : 18/09/2008

Http://bokkins3d.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by oRangE.n.GreeN Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:13 pm

Dieter Rams' motto, "Less but better", adapted from van der Rohe.

the reason why i started this topic is because of the 'alarming' mishandling of the term by some of us here (that includes me). the real essence of the word is diminishing drastically.

for example, simple is not synonymous to minimalism. to describe van der rohe's work, they often use the term extremely simple.

Minimalism in Architecture 200px-Ludwig_Mies_van_der_Rohe

oRangE.n.GreeN
oRangE.n.GreeN
CGP Guru
CGP Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by nomeradona Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:03 pm

ok to ha... sayang minimalism lang sa architecture. but in any case the Bauhaus movement is indeed very critical when we talk about minimalism.. let us put it contextually para siguro makita natin kung ano yung purpose talaga ng minimalism... by only then we could really see the point of Orange and green,,,
nomeradona
nomeradona
SketchUp Guru
SketchUp Guru

Number of posts : 7293
Registration date : 22/09/2008

https://sites.google.com/site/nomeradona3d/

Back to top Go down

Post by jenaro Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:17 pm

minimalism is often expressed as reducing an object into its basic neccesities or making use of its fundamental.

ganito rin ang paniniwala ko sa minimalist...dapat interms in design at material wise...kung simple pero mahal at materials na ginamit eh di un talagang minimalist...
jenaro
jenaro
Peter Pran
Peter Pran

Number of posts : 3132
Registration date : 22/01/2009

Back to top Go down

Post by bokkins Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:50 pm

Tama si orange and green. malalim ang roots ng minimalism at kakaiba ang theories nito.

Kaya din siguro nasasabing misused kasi dahil sa panahon. Kung pwede lang iterm ang ito, adaptive minimalism cguro ang ipapangalan ko. kung baka, nakikipanahon na minimalism. Hindi na purebred. Smile
bokkins
bokkins
Special Ops
Special Ops

Back to top Go down

Post by Butz_Arki Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:02 am

"Extreme simple" nga ang dapat na gamitin...!! thanks orange & green..!!
Butz_Arki
Butz_Arki
Superbeast
Superbeast

Number of posts : 4081

Http://butzoy.multiply.com

Back to top Go down

Post by oRangE.n.GreeN Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:24 am

Minimalism in Architecture Luisbarraganhouse-ppl

The Minimalist Luis Barragan House, or Casa de Luis Barragán, was the home and studio of Mexican architect Luis Barragán. This building is a classic example of the Pritzker Prize Laureate's use of texture, bright colors, and diffused light.

oRangE.n.GreeN
oRangE.n.GreeN
CGP Guru
CGP Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by oRangE.n.GreeN Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:31 am

Hallmarks of Minimalism include:

- Buildings are stripped of all but the most essential elements
- Emphasis is placed on the outline, or frame, of the structure
- Interior walls are eliminated
- Floor plans are open
- Lighting is used to dramatize lines and planes
- The negative spaces around the structure are part of the overall design

oRangE.n.GreeN
oRangE.n.GreeN
CGP Guru
CGP Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by bokkins Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:50 am

The concept of VOID in architecture also falls in this category.

of the minimalist, Mexican (Barragán), European (Van de rohe, Corbu), I love the japanese the most. Tadao Ando is my role model. thumbsup
bokkins
bokkins
Special Ops
Special Ops

Back to top Go down

Post by oRangE.n.GreeN Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:52 am

jenaro wrote:

ganito rin ang paniniwala ko sa minimalist...dapat interms in design at material wise...kung simple pero mahal at materials na ginamit eh di un talagang minimalist...

i beg to disagree sir. ang paniniwala ko ay mas nagfocus ang mga minimalists sa quality ng materials & workmanship rather than on articulation of form. a great example is the farnsworth house by Mies van der Rohe.

Minimalism in Architecture Farnsworth_house_gmad06_3

the use of materials for this house is immaculate. the italian travertine slabs that form the floors were fitted to the steel frames 'with a precision equal to that of the finest inca stonework' and that the plaster ceiling had 'the smoothness of a high grade factory finish'.

seamless din ang steelworks. mies hides his fixings deep within the structure so as to leave his surfaces smooth & unbroken. wherever two adjoining components are structurally unified, he expresses unification by making the meeting point invisible. parang single seamless casting.

therefore, 'minimalism is a belief in an architecture of austere beauty, free of historical allusion or rhetoric, relying on clean form and noble materials.'

Minimalism in Architecture Farnsworth_house

excerpts from: Mies van der Rohe, by Prof. Jacques Lucan

Last edited by oRangE.n.GreeN on Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:25 am; edited 1 time in total
oRangE.n.GreeN
oRangE.n.GreeN
CGP Guru
CGP Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by vamp_lestat Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:28 am

wow... very well discussed sir orange & green... guys this is very informative... nakikibasa lang for infos...
vamp_lestat
vamp_lestat
CGP Guru
CGP Guru

Number of posts : 1930
Registration date : 27/11/2008

Back to top Go down

Post by oRangE.n.GreeN Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:31 am

thanks vamp_lestat...

interior walls are eliminated because it's the arrangement of the furniture, rather than solid walls, which defines a space.

oRangE.n.GreeN
oRangE.n.GreeN
CGP Guru
CGP Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by TheNamelessOne Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:23 am

Tell me, are you a teacher wherein you based all of what you speak of from personal beliefs combined with thorough research or a student who has a mindset curiousity with the aforementioned topic wherein all of what you speak of are based on books?
TheNamelessOne
TheNamelessOne
CGP Newbie
CGP Newbie

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 19/12/2008

Back to top Go down

Post by cloud20 Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:46 am

TheNamelessOne wrote:Tell me, are you a teacher wherein you based all of what you speak of from personal beliefs combined with thorough research or a student who has a mindset curiousity with the aforementioned topic wherein all of what you speak of are based on books?

beggars an answer, doesn't it?... Question
cloud20
cloud20
CGP Senior Citizen
CGP Senior Citizen

Number of posts : 3372
Registration date : 21/09/2008

Back to top Go down

Post by jenaro Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:56 am

The term minimalism is also used to describe a trend in design and architecture where in the subject is reduced to its necessary elements. Minimalist design has been highly influenced by Japanese traditional design and architecture. In addition, the work of De Stijl artists is a major source of reference for this kind of work. De Stijl expanded the ideas that could be expressed by using basic elements such as lines and planes organized in very particular manners.

Architect Ludwig Mies van der Rohe adopted the motto "Less is more" to describe his aesthetic tactic of arranging the numerous necessary components of a building to create an impression of extreme simplicity, by enlisting every element and detail to serve multiple visual and functional purposes (such as designing a floor to also serve as the radiator, or a massive fireplace to also house the bathroom). Designer Buckminster Fuller adopted the engineer's goal of "Doing more with less", but his concerns were oriented towards technology and engineering rather than aesthetics. A similar sentiment was industrial designer Dieter Rams' motto, "Less but better", adapted from van der Rohe. The structure uses relatively simple elegant designs. The structure's beauty is also determined by playing with lighting, using the basic geometric shapes as outlines, using only a single shape or a small number of like shapes for components for design unity, using tasteful non-fussy bright color combinations, usually natural textures and colors, and clean and fine finishes. Using sometimes the beauty of natural patterns on stone and wood encapsulated within ordered simplified structures. May use color brightness balance and contrast between surface colors to improve visual aesthetics. The structure would usually have industrial and space age style utilities (lamps, stoves, stairs, etcetera), neat and straight components (like walls or stairs) that appear to be machined with machines, flat or nearly flat roofs, pleasing negative spaces, and large windows. This and science fiction may have contributed to the late twentieth century futuristic architecture design, and modern home decor. Modern minimalist home architecture with its unnecessary internal walls removed may have led to the popularity of the open plan kitchen and living room style.

Another modern master who exemplifies reductivist ideas is Luis Barragan. In minimalism, the architectural designers pay special attention to the connection between perfect planes, elegant lighting, and careful consideration of the void spaces left by the removal of three-dimensional shapes from an architectural design. The more attractive looking minimalist home designs are not truly minimalist, because these use more expensive building materials and finishes, and are relatively larger.
jenaro
jenaro
Peter Pran
Peter Pran

Back to top Go down

Post by TheNamelessOne Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:10 am

cloud20 wrote:
TheNamelessOne wrote:Tell me, are you a teacher wherein you based all of what you speak of from personal beliefs combined with thorough research or a student who has a mindset curiousity with the aforementioned topic wherein all of what you speak of are based on books?

I don't get what you mean, begging for answers or creating a scene? Please do enlighten me. Rolling Eyes
TheNamelessOne
TheNamelessOne
CGP Newbie
CGP Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by cloud20 Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:37 pm

TheNamelessOne wrote:
cloud20 wrote:

I don't get what you mean, begging for answers or creating a scene? Please do enlighten me. Rolling Eyes

please do not misunderstand; my statement simply means that your statement has a very valid point and needs to be answered by the person concerned...
enlightened?...
Wink
cloud20
cloud20
CGP Senior Citizen
CGP Senior Citizen

Number of posts : 3372
Registration date : 21/09/2008

Back to top Go down

Post by TheNamelessOne Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:54 pm

cloud20 wrote:
TheNamelessOne wrote:
cloud20 wrote:

please do not misunderstand; my statement simply means that your statement has a very valid point and needs to be answered by the person concerned...
enlightened?...
Wink

Very much, thank you.

...and so the question intended to the TS still stands.
TheNamelessOne
TheNamelessOne
CGP Newbie
CGP Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by oRangE.n.GreeN Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:07 pm

i'm sorry, but i couldn't see your point... but, to answer your Q, i'm just a st*p*d boy who's eager to learn more about this subject matter.

let's stick to the subject matter, shall we?

Last edited by oRangE.n.GreeN on Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
oRangE.n.GreeN
oRangE.n.GreeN
CGP Guru
CGP Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by oRangE.n.GreeN Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:39 pm

*jenaro - please note that they use the adverb 'more'

The more attractive looking minimalist home designs are not truly minimalist, because these use more expensive building materials and finishes, and are relatively larger.

oRangE.n.GreeN
oRangE.n.GreeN
CGP Guru
CGP Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by TheNamelessOne Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:28 am

oRangE.n.GreeN wrote:.

i'm sorry, but i couldn't see your point... but, to answer your Q, i'm just a st*p*d boy who's eager to learn more about this subject matter.

let's stick to the subject matter, shall we?

No need to use such harsh description. I was just asking out of curiosity with the way you explain such topic at hand, very teacher-like or the other way around as I have said. Right Cloud20? Wink

By the way, you have just answered the question and I think that's quite enough.
Give credit where it's due.

Proceed with the topic...
TheNamelessOne
TheNamelessOne
CGP Newbie
CGP Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by jenaro Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:47 am

ok sir...note ko poh un...thnx! 2thumbsup

Last edited by jenaro on Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:41 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : out of the topic...)
jenaro
jenaro
Peter Pran
Peter Pran

Back to top Go down

Post by TheNamelessOne Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:02 am

jenaro wrote:yes sir...note ko poh yan...thanks...namelessone,sa susunod kasi wag na tayong sumasabat...kanilang topic ito,they know everything...magbasa na lang tayo...ok? 2thumbsup

Then I believe that you can't comprehend what I'm trying to point out when I asked the question. Cloud20 was able to perceive on my true intentions.
Give credit where it's due.
Anyway, sorry if others think I'm just misleading the discussion, I'm not.

Just proceed.
TheNamelessOne
TheNamelessOne
CGP Newbie
CGP Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down