Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HDRI Environment, Reflection & BG Tutorial

+17
noahsalcan
Rheinfell
Ian 3D
Jay-Jay
Brew_ratz
ray_victor_benitez
mez
TheGreatIam
aesonck
Just
torvicz
KreativeKingdom
Popoy1980
jamesalbert
edosayla
brodger
jheteg
21 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

HDRI Environment, Reflection  & BG Tutorial Empty HDRI Environment, Reflection & BG Tutorial

Post by jheteg Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:08 am

HDRI Environment, Reflection  & BG Tutorial PUTPUT2
HDRI Environment, Reflection  & BG Tutorial PUTPUT1
please note that all settings in this tutorial can be changed to your own liking. all these settings are my personal preferences and I may have different approach and understanding on them. feel free to correct me and/or comment if you think there is something wrong on how I do and/or explain them. anyways, if you follow all settings in this tutorial, you may have the same output as the sample above.

step1: units and gamma 2.2/linear workflow
units - go to customize/units setup. in this tutorial, I'm using millimeters.
gamma - set your gamma 2.2 settings. personally, I do my gamma 2.2 correction on 3dsmax and not on vray. go to customize/preferences/gamma and LUT. tick enable gamma/LUT correction and enter 2.2 on gamma, input gamma and output gamma. tick also affect color selectors and affect material editor so it will be a linear workflow.
HDRI Environment, Reflection  & BG Tutorial GAMMA1

step2: preparations
place model in the scene and put a plane under it. the plane will capture the shadows and lights that bounces on both model and the background. add a vraycamera and a vraysun. both in default settings.
HDRI Environment, Reflection  & BG Tutorial PREP1

step3: settings
we all have different technique and preferences when it comes to this one. this is how I set it. first, open render setup (pressF10) and assign renderer and active shade to vray.
HDRI Environment, Reflection  & BG Tutorial RENDERER1

common tab/common parameters - set resolution (note: small for quick renders and decent size for final renders).
HDRI Environment, Reflection  & BG Tutorial RESOLUTION1

vray tab/frame buffer - tick enable built-in frame buffer to use vray's instead of max's default.
HDRI Environment, Reflection  & BG Tutorial FRAMEBUFFER1

vray tab/image sampling (antialiasing) - adaptive DMC/catmull rom or you may use your own settings to this one.(note: unchecked box for quick renders and checked box for final renders on antialiasing filter)
HDRI Environment, Reflection  & BG Tutorial ANTIALIAS1

vray tab/environment - tick GI environment override box and put a vrayHDRI map on it. tick reflection/refraction environment override but this time drag and drop the vrayHDRI map from the GI environment override to the reflection/refraction environment override and choose instance. (note: skip this method if you're using vray dome light as an environment/reflection wherein you may achieve the same effect by using HDR image as a texture map. I'm not going to cover that method in this tutorial so just google it.)
HDRI Environment, Reflection  & BG Tutorial ENVI1

vray tab/color mapping - choose your favorite type. personally, I like reinhard for outdoors and exponential for indoors. (note: you may change some value here but it really depends on how you set your gamma 2.2. others they set it here, others on max gamma and LUT settings, others on saving the final rendered image. google gamma 2.2 or linear workflow for more info.)
HDRI Environment, Reflection  & BG Tutorial COLORMAPPING1

indirect illumination tab/GI - primary bounces/irradiance map. secondary bounces/light cache. or you may choose your own favorite method.
HDRI Environment, Reflection  & BG Tutorial INLU1

indirect illumination tab/irradiance map - tick show calculation phase and choose your preset. (note: very low=fast renders. preset medium = final renders.)
HDRI Environment, Reflection  & BG Tutorial IRMAP1

indirect illumination tab/light cache - tick show calculation phase and enter subdivs. (note: 100-200 for fast renders. 800-1000 final renders.)
HDRI Environment, Reflection  & BG Tutorial LIGHTCACHE1

settings tab/DMC - default values are good but if you want for fast renders, try to increase noise threshold. (note: the higher the value on noise threshold the faster the render but low quality. 0.01=high quality. 1.00=low quality).
HDRI Environment, Reflection  & BG Tutorial DMCSAMP1

settings tab/system - I only change the dynamic memory limit here. it is dependent on your rig. there is a post here about on how to calculate it. here http://www.cgpinoy.org/t22366-vray-dynamic-memory-limit-calculator?highlight=dynamic+compute . you may adjust the render region division to change the render size bucket.
HDRI Environment, Reflection  & BG Tutorial SYSMEM1

step4: assigning HDRimage as EV, RF and BG
in this tutorial, I'm using a single HDRimage for environment, reflection and background. open environment and effects (press 8). now open again the vray render setup (press F10) and go to vray tab/environment. drag either one of the two maps(vrayHDRI) and drop it to the background:environment map on environment and effects window and choose instance. next, open material editor (press M). again, drag any of the maps(vrayHDRI) either on environment, reflection or background and drop it to the material editor and again choose instance. on the material editor, select the newly created VRayHDRI and click browse and navigate to your HDRimage and change Mapping to Spherical. leave other settings to default for now. there are plenty of site that offers free HDRimage. get some free samples here: http://www.hdri-hub.com/free-samples.
HDRI Environment, Reflection  & BG Tutorial EVRFBG1

step5: viewport
let make some changes on 3ds max default 4way viewport. from top, front, left and perspective, change it to front, active shade, left and vrayphysicalcamera001. to do this, click the [Front] on the top-left corner of the front viewport, go to extended viewports and choose active shade. next, click the [Perspective] on the top-left corner of the perspective viewport choose vrayphysicalcamera001 from cameras. (note1: you may change the top and left viewport to other views. the important is keep the active shade and vrayphysicalcamera.)(note2: if the active shade viewport is too dark, check on step6 on how to adjust it.)
HDRI Environment, Reflection  & BG Tutorial VIEWPORT1

step6: HDRimage and plane settings
HDRimage - press M to open material editor. select VrayHDRI material and increase on overall multiply to adjust brightness. check that the Mapping type is in Spherical.
plane - we need to set it that in the active shade and final render it will only show the shadow and light bounces. there are some other ways to do this. you may use standard matte/shadow material or VrayMtlWrapper. i won't cover on how those material works, so just google them. but in this tutorial, let's use the simplest way to do it. select and right-click on the plane and go to v-ray properties. on Matte properties, tick on Matte object box, -1.0 on Alpha contribution and enable shadows and affect alpha on Direct light. next, we need to put material on the plane so that the light bounces from the plane to the model, it will match the color of the background where it stand. simply use a vraymtl or standard material and just try to match the diffuse color to the background.
HDRI Environment, Reflection  & BG Tutorial Planesettings

step7: sun, background, camera and model position
sun - we need to match the shadow of the background to the model's shadow. position you vraysun target and vrayphysicalcamera target to the center of the model. from the vrayphysicalcamera001 viewport, click on orbit camera and locate the background(hdr image) sun. move your vraysun to position using top and left viewport. hide the model and plane to clear the view in active shade. so basically, we're aligning the vraysun, model and vrayphysicalcamera.
background/camera - since we're using HDRimage as background, we can rotate it in any angle we want. again use the vrayphysicalcamera to rotate the background. it is important that we use the vraycamera to rotate the background and not on the VrayHDRI material horizontal and vertical rotation parameters since we already position the vraysun to the background.
model - rotate the model to the angle your want. (tips: use truck, dolly and roll camera for better angle.)
HDRI Environment, Reflection  & BG Tutorial POSITION

that's it! we're ready to render. i hope this tutorial has been helpful and informative.
i would like to thanks CGPinoy community for the support. more power!
happy rendering!

faq's:
Q: why this tutorial?
A: this is my first time to write a tutorial. i made this one because i would like to share what i've learned so far in making a realistic 3d rendering. it's like giving thanks to all other people out there sharing the same way by posting free tutorial in the web to help others.
Q: why in english?
A: although cgpinoy.org is a filipino web community, writing a tutorial in English is an act of unselfishness. many cgp members cannot read or understand tagalog.
Q: can you do a sketch up version?
A: unfortunately I'm not really good in sketch up. sorry.
Q: do i have to follow all these settings to have the same output quality?
A: No. there are other workaround to achieve the same or even better output. there are a lot of tutorials in the web. check the tutorial section here in cgpinoy.
Q: Why didn't you use vray dome light for the environment instead?
A: As i mentioned in the tutorial, you may use vray dome light but by using that method, you're adding more variables to the scene lighting since vraydomelight has its own parameter to adjust the lighting.
Q: I've already adjusted the overall multiply on the vrayHDRI material. why is my final output is too dark/bright comparing to active shade and render window when i save it?
A: if you're using gamma 2.2 or linear workflow on 3ds max system. just click on the sRGB button located at the bottom-left corner of the vray frame buffer window. this is the how the brightness of your output when you save it.
Q: why is my models shadow's too sharp comparing to the background shadow?
A: the background shadow is an image. we cannot do anything about that but we can soften the shadow of the model by increasing the vraysun size multiplier in modify panel.
Q: I'm also working in riyadh. do you think we can meet and teach me on how to do this in actual?
A: If i'm not busy, why not. just pm me.
Q: i have another question. where or how can i ask you?
A: ask here. just leave a post or pm me.

Last edited by jheteg on Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:35 am; edited 8 times in total
jheteg
jheteg
CGP Apprentice
CGP Apprentice

Number of posts : 916
Registration date : 14/05/2010

https://jheteg.carbonmade.com/

Back to top Go down

HDRI Environment, Reflection  & BG Tutorial Empty Re: HDRI Environment, Reflection & BG Tutorial

Post by brodger Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:22 am

TFS for sharing master Jheteg! 2thumbsup
brodger
brodger
CGP Guru
CGP Guru

Number of posts : 1747

Back to top Go down

HDRI Environment, Reflection  & BG Tutorial Empty Re: HDRI Environment, Reflection & BG Tutorial

Post by jheteg Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:49 am

brodger wrote:TFS for sharing master Jheteg! 2thumbsup
you're welcome po. happy to help.
jheteg
jheteg
CGP Apprentice
CGP Apprentice

Back to top Go down

Post by edosayla Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:31 pm

Nice Tutorial Smile Thanks for Sharing ... Sir Jheteg ..
edosayla
edosayla
The Teacher
The Teacher

Number of posts : 1367
Registration date : 06/10/2008

http://www.pinoycad.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jamesalbert Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:50 pm

wow this is it i've been waiting this for a long time thanks for the tutorial sir jheteg
jamesalbert
jamesalbert
CGP Apprentice
CGP Apprentice

Number of posts : 304
Registration date : 14/02/2011

Back to top Go down

Post by jheteg Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:59 pm

edosayla wrote:Nice Tutorial Smile Thanks for Sharing ... Sir Jheteg ..
naku po teacher, isa ka sa dahilan kung bakit ko po ginawa itong tutorial na to Very Happy. salamat din po sa walang sawang pag-share.
jheteg
jheteg
CGP Apprentice
CGP Apprentice

Back to top Go down

Post by jheteg Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:00 pm

jamesalbert wrote:wow this is it i've been waiting this for a long time thanks for the tutorial sir jheteg
no problem. sana naka tulong. Very Happy
jheteg
jheteg
CGP Apprentice
CGP Apprentice

Back to top Go down

Post by Popoy1980 Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:44 am

Many thanks po sir jheteg.. This help a lot especially for us newbies. Ive been figuring out how to position my planes to match my backgrounds and i end up in PS. Sana de po magsawa magturo samin

Thanks a lot.
Popoy1980
Popoy1980
CGP Newbie
CGP Newbie

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 16/05/2012

http://www.richardreodique.com

Back to top Go down

Post by KreativeKingdom Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:56 am

Wow galing! simple but yet detailed. TFS!
KreativeKingdom
KreativeKingdom
CGP Newbie
CGP Newbie

Number of posts : 199
Registration date : 17/03/2010

Back to top Go down

Post by torvicz Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:06 am

Mas nagustuhan ko yung faq's... Smile

Q: I'm working in riyadh. do you think we can meet and teach me on how to do this in actual?

joke lang dude.
HDRI Environment, Reflection  & BG Tutorial 290323

Thanks for sharing, detalyado talaga.
torvicz
torvicz
Sgt. Pepper
Sgt. Pepper

Number of posts : 3235
Registration date : 01/10/2008

Back to top Go down

Post by jheteg Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:52 am

Popoy1980 wrote:Many thanks po sir jheteg.. This help a lot especially for us newbies. Ive been figuring out how to position my planes to match my backgrounds and i end up in PS. Sana de po magsawa magturo samin

Thanks a lot.
you're welcome sir. salamat din po sa pag-appreciate.
KreativeKingdom wrote:Wow galing! simple but yet detailed. TFS!
thank you sir.
torvicz wrote:Mas nagustuhan ko yung faq's... Smile

Q: I'm working in riyadh. do you think we can meet and teach me on how to do this in actual?

joke lang dude.
HDRI Environment, Reflection  & BG Tutorial 290323

Thanks for sharing, detalyado talaga.

pasimpleng banat lang yan sir para makalibre ng shawarma. hahaha! thanks sir torvz
jheteg
jheteg
CGP Apprentice
CGP Apprentice

Back to top Go down

Post by Just Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:14 am

Thanks for this Bro. I tried it with my settings and I'm happy with the output.
Just
Just
CGP Newbie
CGP Newbie

Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 10/12/2011

Back to top Go down

Post by aesonck Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:57 am

thanks!. HDRI Environment, Reflection  & BG Tutorial 576143
aesonck
aesonck
CGP Expert
CGP Expert

Number of posts : 2448
Registration date : 13/07/2010

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreatIam Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:54 am

NAPAKATINDI NANG TUNAY NA TUNAY

TheGreatIam
CGP Newbie
CGP Newbie

Number of posts : 155
Registration date : 03/08/2010

Back to top Go down

Post by jheteg Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:20 pm

Just wrote:Thanks for this Bro. I tried it with my settings and I'm happy with the output.

aesonck wrote:thanks!. HDRI Environment, Reflection  & BG Tutorial 576143

TheGreatIam wrote:NAPAKATINDI NANG TUNAY NA TUNAY

thanks guys for appreciating. Very Happy
jheteg
jheteg
CGP Apprentice
CGP Apprentice

Back to top Go down

Post by mez Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:40 pm

nice tutorial sir! thanks for sharing thumbsup
mez
mez
CGP Expert
CGP Expert

Number of posts : 2692
Registration date : 24/07/2010

Back to top Go down

Post by ray_victor_benitez Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:35 am

Salamat sa tutorial mukhang ok ang output. you are so near yet so far. Nasa Khobar nmn ako. I will try this one also. A beginner in max sana makapa ko. thumbsup thanks kabayan!
ray_victor_benitez
ray_victor_benitez
CGP Newbie
CGP Newbie

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 24/03/2011

Back to top Go down

Post by jheteg Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:56 pm

mez wrote:nice tutorial sir! thanks for sharing thumbsup
welcome sir. thanks also.
ray_victor_benitez wrote:Salamat sa tutorial mukhang ok ang output. you are so near yet so far. Nasa Khobar nmn ako. I will try this one also. A beginner in max sana makapa ko. thumbsup thanks kabayan!
kayang kaya mo to sir. post mo rin output mo para makita rin namin. Very Happy
jheteg
jheteg
CGP Apprentice
CGP Apprentice

Back to top Go down

Post by Brew_ratz Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:14 am

Thanks dito sir... another one great tuts! hippie

bytheway theres other way to sync or match the sun to hdri lighting
by creating link between sun & hdri
& using this code: "radToDeg(Z_Rotation360)"

At this method you only have to rotate the sun itself din
sasabay na yung hdri nya
Brew_ratz
Brew_ratz
CGP Apprentice
CGP Apprentice

Number of posts : 281
Registration date : 04/10/2010

Back to top Go down

Post by jheteg Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:26 am

Brew_ratz wrote:Thanks dito sir... another one great tuts! hippie

bytheway theres other way to sync or match the sun to hdri lighting
by creating link between sun & hdri
& using this code: "radToDeg(Z_Rotation360)"

At this method you only have to rotate the sun itself din
sasabay na yung hdri nya

salamat sir and thanks also for the nice linking tip. 2thumbsup
jheteg
jheteg
CGP Apprentice
CGP Apprentice

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay-Jay Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:34 pm

SIR THANK YOU FOR YOUR UNSELFISHNESS, GOD BLESS YOU & THE WORKS OF YOUR HANDS Smile
Jay-Jay
Jay-Jay
CGP Newbie
CGP Newbie

Number of posts : 141
Registration date : 05/07/2011

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian 3D Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:18 pm

Nice work and tutorial Sir Jheteg! HDRI Environment, Reflection  & BG Tutorial 808695 Thank you for sharing. God Bless.
Ian 3D
Ian 3D
CGP Newbie
CGP Newbie

Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 13/02/2011

Back to top Go down

Post by Rheinfell Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:38 am

HDRI Environment, Reflection  & BG Tutorial 576143 very informative & effective bro... thanks for sharing... HDRI Environment, Reflection  & BG Tutorial 808695 keep posting Very Happy thanks for your time & effort for sharing this tutorial... HDRI Environment, Reflection  & BG Tutorial 808695 highly appreciated... HDRI Environment, Reflection  & BG Tutorial 576143 HDRI Environment, Reflection  & BG Tutorial 576143
Rheinfell
Rheinfell
CGP Guru
CGP Guru

Number of posts : 1754
Registration date : 02/06/2011

Back to top Go down

Post by jheteg Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:46 am

Jay-Jay wrote:SIR THANK YOU FOR YOUR UNSELFISHNESS, GOD BLESS YOU & THE WORKS OF YOUR HANDS Smile
welcome sir and thanks also for your kind words.
Ian 3D wrote:Nice work and tutorial Sir Jheteg! HDRI Environment, Reflection  & BG Tutorial 808695 Thank you for sharing. God Bless.
no problem sir. happy to help.
Rheinfell wrote:HDRI Environment, Reflection  & BG Tutorial 576143 very informative & effective bro... thanks for sharing... HDRI Environment, Reflection  & BG Tutorial 808695 keep posting Very Happy thanks for your time & effort for sharing this tutorial... HDRI Environment, Reflection  & BG Tutorial 808695 highly appreciated... HDRI Environment, Reflection  & BG Tutorial 576143 HDRI Environment, Reflection  & BG Tutorial 576143
maraming salamat din sayo sir sa mga tulong mo. tulad mo, walang problema bastat makakatulong. Very Happy
jheteg
jheteg
CGP Apprentice
CGP Apprentice

Back to top Go down

Post by noahsalcan Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:18 pm

hayos sir jheteg mausay ka tlaga
noahsalcan
noahsalcan
CGP Newbie
CGP Newbie

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 05/11/2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next