Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rendering Preferences?

+17
august_destura13
SunDance
ortzak
Muggz
arkiedmund
tutik
jenaro
render master
3DZONE
Butz_Arki
AUSTRIA
cloud20
glensky
bokkins
Alicecocoz
AJ Cortez
celes
21 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Rendering Preferences? Empty Rendering Preferences?

Post by celes Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:50 am

Normally ang preference ng clients (especially developers and property owners) are close to realistic, photographic renders. This is true because unlike designers (architects / interior designers) mas gusto ng layperson ang what you see is what you get approach.

However certain architects seem to have different preferences. There are some who demand an airbrush effect much like the ones produced in China (predominantly photoshop) and there are some who bother more on the entourage, RPCs, rather than the rendering of the space itself. I tend to lean towards the GI approach because WYSIWYG siya, but the scanline / extensive photoshop effect is full of loopholes - it's very subjective (for example - gusto ng client ng glass, pero not so reflective and not so transparent.. finding the balance is quite a challenge in this manner, etc etc)

Ang direction ng group namin is really geared towards the future visualization and that is extensive use of GI.

The question though is - as a CG artist / architect would you be leaning more towards the "traditional" look or the "realistic" effect?

Thanks guys, need the opinion of the community on this.
celes
celes
Pogi
Pogi

Number of posts : 2958
Registration date : 25/11/2008

Back to top Go down

Rendering Preferences? Empty Re: Rendering Preferences?

Post by AJ Cortez Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:34 am

While personally I prefer the ultra photorealistic style renderings, at times, a certain color of a piece of furniture or carpet can have a negative effect with particular clients. They can get so caught up with that, that they tend to disregard the rest of the image. At one point, the pm asked to make it a b/w rendering just to bypass that issue.

Sometimes, the architecture hasn’t even been completely designed yet, but they ask to catch the spirit of the place, that’s where the art of entourage placement comes in handy – Smoothe over in the UK does that very well.

I’ve also had clients where they just want it to look more like a technical illustration (when doing design viz work, never say “cartoon” in front of a client! They don’t want to feel like they’re paying thousands of dollars for a “cartoon”)…sometimes having too much realistic details in the image or “finished” looking images can take away from the design process. Having just enough information there during the meeting is also good sometimes…then later on, you can blow them away with the photo-real magic.

I recommend being a CG generalist, practicing and being able to do various styles of renderings will make you more marketable in your career.
AJ Cortez
AJ Cortez
CGP Apprentice
CGP Apprentice

Number of posts : 342
Registration date : 30/12/2008

http://www.3d-mg.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Alicecocoz Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:18 pm

Para sakin bos dun ako sa photoreal render. Although hindi ako architect, parang mas ok kasi pag close to the real thing na yung papakita sa mga clients para alam nila kung anu expect nila for the final work done. Para makita na rin nila kung anung klaseng materials gagamitin and probably make adjustments na rin. Smile
Alicecocoz
Alicecocoz
CGP Apprentice
CGP Apprentice

Number of posts : 328
Registration date : 19/12/2008

Back to top Go down

Post by bokkins Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:03 pm

Photorealism is the best para sakin. Manghang mangha ako talaga pag close to the real thing ang output. It's like every cg artist's dream.

But on the other hand. Stylized rendering has a very big impact on the design. I also believe that it's faster to produce and can take a lot of optimization(simply by substituting stuffs that are heavy to render and intensive photoshop post prod)

Traditional scanline+photoshop style is also good but it's like a Chinese brand already, The more we do away with it the better. Although ganun pa din nangyayari minsan sa akin. haha! tongue
bokkins
bokkins
Special Ops
Special Ops

Number of posts : 10369
Registration date : 18/09/2008

Http://bokkins3d.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by glensky Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:40 pm

rendering preferrences are dictated by clients,no matter what your style is.phot realistic is good,and as an artist and designer this is e summit of your skill.
glensky
glensky
CGP Apprentice
CGP Apprentice

Number of posts : 440
Registration date : 06/10/2008

Back to top Go down

Post by cloud20 Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:06 pm

glensky wrote:rendering preferrences are dictated by clients,no matter what your style is.phot realistic is good,and as an artist and designer this is e summit of your skill.

exactly... it is encumbent then upon the architect/artist to be able to deliver on the clients' preference...
cloud20
cloud20
CGP Senior Citizen
CGP Senior Citizen

Number of posts : 3372
Registration date : 21/09/2008

Back to top Go down

Post by glensky Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:14 pm

cloud20 wrote:
glensky wrote:rendering preferrences are dictated by clients,no matter what your style is.phot realistic is good,and as an artist and designer this is e summit of your skill.

exactly... it is encumbent then upon the architect/artist to be able to deliver on the clients' preference...

O.T. love e perspective view in your avatar inuman na
glensky
glensky
CGP Apprentice
CGP Apprentice

Number of posts : 440
Registration date : 06/10/2008

Back to top Go down

Post by AJ Cortez Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:26 pm

glensky wrote:
cloud20 wrote:

O.T. love e perspective view in your avatar inuman na

LoL...I second that.
AJ Cortez
AJ Cortez
CGP Apprentice
CGP Apprentice

Number of posts : 342
Registration date : 30/12/2008

http://www.3d-mg.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:55 pm

+10 thumbsup

Back to top Go down

Post by AUSTRIA Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:57 pm

Pra s akin depende s structure n gagawin. It depends also how the artist/ architect see the things. Kc mga master
may nkikita din kc ako n n gawa s Photoreal at Scanline lng n isang subject lng pero mas na appreciate ko ung scanline+pshop lng eh.
Papaano futuristic ung subject so mas astig nya npakita s scanline lng unlike s photoreal msagwa. so depende un s artist at dun tlga lumalabas ang pagka artist ng isang tao photoreal man o hindi...

AUSTRIA
AUSTRIA
CGP Le Corbusier
CGP Le Corbusier

Number of posts : 2422
Registration date : 19/09/2008

Back to top Go down

Post by Butz_Arki Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:58 pm

photorealistic is the best i think...kung halos yun na yung kalalabasan ng design..i also agree ky glensky!! peace man
Butz_Arki
Butz_Arki
Superbeast
Superbeast

Number of posts : 4081
Registration date : 18/09/2008

Http://butzoy.multiply.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:48 am

Hmmmm..For me I still prefer the old architectural presentation(Wash watercolor effects and sketchy thing). Now a days kse talgang realistic na mga presentations and i prefer realistic presentations kung talgang nag sign off na ang client. But yeah,you guys right.its how the client sees it. thumbsup

Back to top Go down

Post by 3DZONE Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:24 am

ARCHITHEKTHURA wrote:Hmmmm..For me I still prefer the old architectural presentation(Wash watercolor effects and sketchy thing). Now a days kse talgang realistic na mga presentations and i prefer realistic presentations kung talgang nag sign off na ang client. But yeah,you guys right.its how the client sees it. thumbsup

I'm with you sir jeff 100%...but in this kind of our field specially here in the Arab World they don't have that kind of visuals same as we have....kaya photorealistic pa rin ang bagsak natin but at the end its good for us peace man Very Happy
3DZONE
3DZONE
Cube Spinner
Cube Spinner

Number of posts : 3834
Registration date : 20/12/2008

Back to top Go down

Post by render master Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:22 am

way back before....sketch pa lang nako-close na namin ang project, malaki man o maliit. so for me its how you define a certain project, photorealistic man or artistic ang dating, the important is how your presentation become the medium of understanding on what has to be built.
render master
render master
Game Master
Game Master

Number of posts : 3274
Registration date : 27/09/2008

Back to top Go down

Post by jenaro Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:03 am

nsa gumagawa ang diskarte...nasa client ang approval...but you can do what you want and preference/style you want...out of the context ung client pero pagpumasok na ung client eh the client ang masusunod...madali lang naman mapasunod ang client basta maganda at kung un ang napipicture nila ok na un...
jenaro
jenaro
Peter Pran
Peter Pran

Number of posts : 3132
Registration date : 22/01/2009

Back to top Go down

Post by tutik Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:15 am

i gear towards customized style for every project and client. that is, if i can influence them on my vision. having said that, i'll try to understand what is their marketing/design direction before coming up with a proposal.
tutik
tutik
The Spy
The Spy

Number of posts : 1715
Registration date : 01/10/2008

Back to top Go down

Post by celes Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:45 am

Thanks guys it's great to hear everyone's opinions. Kaya ko lang natanong is because we have this unusual client. In general kasi developers are wowed by realistic renders. But this time this particular client demanded something stylized but still looking accurate. In the end it looked more like an airbrush rendering and surprisingly they opted for it after the initial drafts na pure GI.

Cgro we just ended up wasting a lot of time building the model then trying hard to achieve the GI effect when i think minimal 3d lang plus scanline tapos ngconcentrate na lang kmi sa photoshop if this were the case.

Im not leaning towards a particular style, i just wanted to know what u guys prefer as CG artists. Clients wil always have their own take but sometimes we, as artists, have different aesthetic sensibilities. What may be stunning to us doesnt always mean ok sa client.
celes
celes
Pogi
Pogi

Number of posts : 2958
Registration date : 25/11/2008

Back to top Go down

Post by cloud20 Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:31 pm

hmmmmm... add ako; maybe this will depend sa nature ng work natin... if we're "clientcentrric" (architecture) more often than not client ang masusunod... but if we're in the arts, most of the times artist na masusunod...

i think...
cloud20
cloud20
CGP Senior Citizen
CGP Senior Citizen

Number of posts : 3372
Registration date : 21/09/2008

Back to top Go down

Post by arkiedmund Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:18 pm

In my current work, most of our renders are stylized. We use vray, but we don't crank up the settings, since most of the time it is more of a photoshop work than a rendering application job.

We add lots of entourage to our scene, as this is the company's way of selling it's design to the client, by showing them the feel and experience of the design.

But for personal works, I usually try my best to catch up with the skills of the guys in this community, since, I have no client to please but myself, and my own personal deadline.

Manager
Manager

Number of posts : 3956
Registration date : 19/09/2008

Back to top Go down

Post by Muggz Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:49 am

Amen...
Muggz
Muggz
CGP Guru
CGP Guru

Number of posts : 1569
Registration date : 03/02/2009

Back to top Go down

Post by ortzak Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:52 am

imho it depends talaga.my former boss (a chinese pinoy) a prominent designer in HK likes to do his presentration in Sketch-Up lang.
He doesnt like Photo-realistic. in some cases nag-photo realism kame if the client needs it pero 80% of our projects were purely sketch-up lang more on architectural inclination daw para sa kanya hehe..

ako gusto ko photorender kaya tambay ako dito!! hippie
ortzak
ortzak
CGP Expert
CGP Expert

Number of posts : 4555
Registration date : 14/01/2009

http://plandesignvisualize.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SunDance Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:55 am

my personal preference is photo simulation w/ strong architectural presentation inclination.... but most of the time ung gusto p rin ng boss or client nasusunod... thumbsup
SunDance
SunDance
The Scavenger
The Scavenger

Number of posts : 1152
Registration date : 23/09/2008

Back to top Go down

Post by august_destura13 Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:56 pm

ako naman experience ko when I work at Dubai before ung panglasa ng amo ko. it really pissed me of sa panglasa niya kasi d niya naappreciate ang photorealistic rendering cartoonist para sa kanya para sa kanya ung photorealistic iyong rendering done with scanline+photoshop as you have said china brand. natatawa na nga lang kami ng chief architect namin na pinoy tapos gagatungan pa ng pesteng visor na indian pana na wala naman alam kundi ang magpanggap.
august_destura13
august_destura13
CGP Apprentice
CGP Apprentice

Number of posts : 232
Registration date : 11/11/2008

Back to top Go down

Post by edwardbctech Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:50 pm

may mga client na gusto talaga photorealistic. for me photorealistic is the best but dipende din sa sitwasyon like yung dati ko kong tabing guhit british company gusto nya ala morphosis yung rendering 3 object materials lan glass, solid steel, and ground basta makita lan yung shape and architecture for me easy money yun
edwardbctech
edwardbctech
CGP Newbie
CGP Newbie

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 02/11/2008

Back to top Go down

Post by 3dact Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:49 pm

well iba-iba talaga gusto ng clients, pero for me as a cg artist i prefer photorealistic..it is always my dream Crazy_Lion

3dact
CGP Apprentice
CGP Apprentice

Number of posts : 265
Registration date : 21/12/2008

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next