Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Simplifying Vray Proxy

+24
ronzcobella
najmuddinke
ar_monzter
cloud20
arkiangel
tanting
sajantk
darkirender
ONCIRE
anthony_als
phranq
a.espinosa
v_wrangler
mammoo_03
mokong
darrelljay
jhames joe albert infante
ericson_ya
pugot ulo
torring
meiahmaya
master_grayback
archrene
render master
28 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Simplifying Vray Proxy - Page 2 Empty Simplifying Vray Proxy

Post by render master Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:07 am

First topic message reminder :

Note: This is an advance posting, the image is still on posting process, sorry.

Simplifying VrayProxy Tutorial

VrayPrxoxy is one method of saving a lot of geometry as well as saving a lot of rendertimes by creating an external proxy to your scene. However some procedures might be consider for us not to end up rendering a proxy with just one material. This is the error we usually encountered... and this method hope will ease up and address that situation.

The following notes was derived from Vray Manual Spot3d vray help file (or if you dont have, you can download my compiled Vray manual - same manual, only it was compiled into one pdf file with some added features and samples)

ALL ABOUT VRAY PROXY

• The geometry generated by the proxy object is not modifiable. Any modifiers applied to the VRayProxy
object will be ignored.

• At present, the .vrmesh file cannot store deforming animated meshes. However,
a #preRenderEval MaxScript callback can be used to replace the .vrmesh file name of the proxy object. A suitable
callback script can cause different mesh files to be used for each frame, thus creating an animation effect.

• If you need to create several proxies linked to the same .vrmesh file, it's better to make them instances - this will
save memory since the .vrmesh file will be loaded only once.

• Materials are not saved in the .vrmesh file. Instead, the geometry will be rendered with the material applied to the
VRayProxy object. This is because third party materials and procedural textures would be difficult to describe in a
general way. In addition, you may want to edit the material independently of the mesh.

• The resulting .vrmesh files can be rendered outside of 3ds Max - for example, by the standalone version of V-Ray,
or V-Ray for Maya.

• Shadow maps will not include information about the proxy objects. If you want the proxy objects to cast shadows,
you should use VRayShadows.

• You can convert .ply and .obj files to .vrmesh files with the help of the ply2vrmesh converter tool.

• The V-Ray SDK has methods for reading and writing of .vrmesh files.

1. To start with,let us create some simple objects as an exercise for our vrayproxy. I create a simple teapot, then break it down to component ( body, spout, cover and handle), then applied with diffirent materials. See image below.

Simplifying Vray Proxy - Page 2 Vraypr10

The rendered image

Simplifying Vray Proxy - Page 2 Vraypr11

2. Let us now convert the model into vraymesh. The most convenient way is to isolate the object or group of object you want to make for vraymesh proxy. To isolate, select the object/s, right click then select isolate. The next step is to attach each object from one another. Click one object then on Modifying panel, under Edit Geometry select attach. Press the small box icon on Attach ( for poly objects) or the Attach List (mesh objects) to launch the object selection dialog box.if you wish to select multiple objects. Highlight all the objects then press attach. Then choose match Material ID to materials

Simplifying Vray Proxy - Page 2 Vraypr13

3. Once all the objects is aleady attached as one, you can now use vraymeshexport.Right click on the object, then on the quadmenu select vray mesh export. then provide necessary information and accept the parameters you prefered. See sample image below.

Simplifying Vray Proxy - Page 2 Vraypr14

4. The next thing i do is to selecting the vraymesh object, then go to file menu and select xref object, then save the vraymeshobject as max file. I do this especially if im working on a complex scene. I will show you the reason for this later as we goes on with this simple tutorial.

Simplifying Vray Proxy - Page 2 Vraypr15

5. You are now ready to use your vraymesh object as proxy. See sample image render with the vrayproxy coppied instance about a hundred times. So this this now conclude the process of creating proxy with a simple objects.

Simplifying Vray Proxy - Page 2 Vraypr16

Here are some usual question about vray proxy.
a. Can i edit the materials of the vray proxy / mesh.
b. Can i use that vraymesh on other scene.
c. Why if i use the vraymesh to other scene, it will rendered as one material only?
d. Can i change my vraymesh material once it was placed on the other scene.

Here are some method that will answer the questions.

6. If your vraymesh is still a resident object of the original scene you are working, then you can still change the materials.You can change the diffuse maps, adjust the tilings, add reflections and more, but you cannot apply uvw mapping and maps scaler anymore, if you do, the object materials will be a mess.

7. You are also free to use the vraymesh on other scene. Just merge your vraymesh max file to your scene.
8. If you failed to export your vraymesh object as maxfile before, you can still use the vraymesh object through vray mesh proxy procedures. see image below.

Simplifying Vray Proxy - Page 2 Vraypr17

However, the above procedure (no.8) have some issues- the material of the proxy object is not a anymore included with the proxy, so the result will be a plain color. This is the reason why I initiated procedure no. 4 of this tutorials.
To get rid of these, follow these simple steps. Press M for material dialog box, select one empty slot, then press the button Standard to go to the material map browser and select Xref material. On file name box, press the opposite icon box (browse for file), and look for your original max file where the vraymesh object was originated.
On the Xref Merge dialog box that will pop up, select the vraymesh object then hit ok. This will merge only the material on your scene. Then drag now your xref material to your vraymesh. See image procedure below.

(vrayproxy9)

if you wish to change the material of the above procedures, merge the material of the xref material to the scene. This will give you full access to its material parameters. see image procedure below

(vrayproxy10)

9. What if the original file where the vraymesh was originated doesnt exist anymore. Meaning its not nowhere to find. To get rid of these follow this procedures. On the image provided was a vraymesh object i made from Evermotion Archmodel
Collection No.33. The object was inserted by means of vray mesh proxy procedures and rendered as shown.... only one plain color, no maps, and no texture.

Simplifying Vray Proxy - Page 2 Vraypr18

I created new material - multi /sub-object material, apply it the vray mesh object. Making a test render.
(vrayproxy11)

Now, change some diffuse color on each material ID. Make a test render. You will see now diffirent color on the object which represent its individual materials. Now edit your new material. Press your material, change it to multi-sub material. On ID number one change its diffuse color, say red. then make a test render. see image below

(vrayproxy12)

See what happened, one part of the model change its color, meaning that color is in material id no. 1, continue until you have completed the color of the vraymeshobject. Now change the material on each slot to your preference and add some textures. You have now full control to your vraymesh proxy object materials. see rendered image

(vrayproxy14)

Here are some of my sample render using vraymesh proxy

(vrayproxy15)
(vrayproxy16)
(vrayproxy17)

Good Luck and happy viewing
Comments and critics are welcome!!!
Any violent reaction are also WELCOME

All rights reserved
rpadc2002@yahoo.com

Note the image is still on posting process, sorry

Last edited by render master on Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:41 am; edited 6 times in total
render master
render master
Game Master
Game Master

Number of posts : 3274
Registration date : 27/09/2008

Back to top Go down

Simplifying Vray Proxy - Page 2 Empty Re: Simplifying Vray Proxy

Post by a.espinosa Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:18 pm

hehehehe...tambay din ako sir onel..
one question lang sir onel..i think everybody experience this...nahirapan ka sa pagmodel ng isang bagay tapos later dapat anticipate mo baka ma-edit pa yung model ...what if kung na na-vray-proxy mo na cya..so lost n yung model di mo na ma-edit...so what i always do...before making it vray proxy...i attached the model making it as one element with all the materials and etc...palabas ng file so later on may back-up model ako just in case i will edit it...this happens most of the time diba....

so is this a good procedure or what...or there are other way to do this?

thanks master onel

a.espinosa
CGP Apprentice
CGP Apprentice

Number of posts : 750
Registration date : 23/09/2008

http://www.alex-espinosa.8k.com

Back to top Go down

Post by render master Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:29 am

[quote="v_wrangler"]
render master wrote:just try to remake a vraymeshexpost sa car kung iyon ang problema...
Well, this isn't really the answer to the problem. Its like - taking a whole new road to cross the same path. But well, if all fails - do it.
quote]

well, thanks for the reply. actually there are lots of instances bakit nagkaroon ng problema iyong paglalagay nya ng car proxy. but since ala tayong paghahawakan to his procedures ( kase madali namang sabihin na ganito so on so forth). to sum it, sa car lang naman nageerror, kaya sinabi ko remake nya ulit iyong procedures nya as an alternative. or palitan iyong car model na ipoproxy.
render master
render master
Game Master
Game Master

Back to top Go down

Post by render master Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:39 am

a.espinosa wrote:hehehehe...tambay din ako sir onel..
one question lang sir onel..i think everybody experience this...nahirapan ka sa pagmodel ng isang bagay tapos later dapat anticipate mo baka ma-edit pa yung model ...what if kung na na-vray-proxy mo na cya..so lost n yung model di mo na ma-edit...so what i always do...before making it vray proxy...i attached the model making it as one element with all the materials and etc...palabas ng file so later on may back-up model ako just in case i will edit it...this happens most of the time diba....
so is this a good procedure or what...or there are other way to do this?
thanks master onel

thanks. well its good. and iyon naman ang tama. inilaborate ko lang iyong mga procedures like just in case mawala original files and proxy na lang ang hawak mo, maeedit mo pa rin ang proxy materials.
render master
render master
Game Master
Game Master

Back to top Go down

Post by a.espinosa Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:49 am

thanks sir onel...kailan ulit EB...hehehehe...
a.espinosa
a.espinosa
CGP Apprentice
CGP Apprentice

Number of posts : 750
Registration date : 23/09/2008

http://www.alex-espinosa.8k.com

Back to top Go down

Post by mokong Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:30 am

salamat po sir render master.. try ko pod problema lng na corrup na yung file ko... hehehe...
mokong
mokong
CGP Guru
CGP Guru

Number of posts : 1926
Registration date : 02/03/2009

Back to top Go down

Post by render master Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:27 am

a.espinosa wrote:thanks sir onel...kailan ulit EB...hehehehe...

planning this month sana bago ako umuwi >>>riyadh eb part 2<<<
render master
render master
Game Master
Game Master

Back to top Go down

Post by phranq Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:28 pm

thank you, makakatulong to! nahihirapan talaga ako sa vray proxy...matry na nga.hehehe! salamat ulit mga masters! more tutorials pls. hippie peace man
phranq
phranq
CGP Guru
CGP Guru

Number of posts : 1208
Registration date : 17/06/2009

Back to top Go down

Post by anthony_als Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:07 am

about this thread sir render master, in my version of vray hindi po pede gamitan ng Scatter compound ang vray proxy, or hindi tlaga ata pede i dont know. tanong ko po, is there any possibility to use both Scatter compound at the same time saving poly using vrayproxy ?, its in one object sir render master ah, pede po kaya? thank sir in advance, tagahanga nyo na ko sir sa dami nyong techniques using max.. Very Happy
anthony_als
anthony_als
CGP Apprentice
CGP Apprentice

Number of posts : 757
Registration date : 20/07/2009

http://aalsales-arch.daportfolio.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ONCIRE Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:56 am

guys pano masolve ung pag ineexport ko na cia sa vray mesh/proxy e ngrorotate n cia automatic..annoying kc un need ko pa cia i-rotate pra maayos..minsan din lumiliit or lumalaki kelangan ko p i-scale.. any tip pra maiwasan to?
ONCIRE
ONCIRE
CGP Apprentice
CGP Apprentice

Number of posts : 545
Registration date : 04/06/2009

Back to top Go down

Post by darkirender Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:57 am

"4.The next thing i do is to selecting the vraymesh object, then go to file menu and select xref object, then save the vraymeshobject as max file. I do this especially if im working on a complex scene. I will show you the reason for this later as we goes on with this simple tutorial."......qoute

medyo hindi ko po magets yan render master. ang alam ko po kc yung xref object/scene ay ginagamit pag gusto mo magpasok sa current scene ng other file/object pero hindi mo xa pwede maedit pag naipasok na.so yung Xref object/scene sa file menu ay ginagamit hindi para maisave ang file o scene kundi para magpasok ng file/object kgaya sa autocad.
darkirender
darkirender
CGP Apprentice
CGP Apprentice

Number of posts : 313
Registration date : 23/12/2009

Back to top Go down

Post by render master Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:14 am

anthony_als wrote:about this thread sir render master, in my version of vray hindi po pede gamitan ng Scatter compound ang vray proxy, or hindi tlaga ata pede i dont know. tanong ko po, is there any possibility to use both Scatter compound at the same time saving poly using vrayproxy ?, its in one object sir render master ah, pede po kaya? thank sir in advance, tagahanga nyo na ko sir sa dami nyong techniques using max.. Very Happy

ano ba version ng vray mo sir. if im not mistaken ( di ko pa na-eexperience your queeries) all i know Scatter compound is nothing to do with vray version coz they are separated program. in using scatter compound, use intances. as for the polys, just watch closely your viewport statistic for the polys when scattering. the object will just referenced. if your computer still sucks while moving around because of its graphics capabilites - right click on the object -->> properties then hit View as Box. Try also LOD ( level of details.
render master
render master
Game Master
Game Master

Back to top Go down

Post by sajantk Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:42 am

thnks guru u r tiger

( mallu language (tiger = Puli ) means Powerful Professional )

great tutorials i like thnks lottttt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thumbsup

sajantk

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 07/03/2010

Back to top Go down

Post by tanting Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:41 pm

Chief Master! Galing tut! sana marami pang advance tut! panalo
tanting
tanting
CGP Apprentice
CGP Apprentice

Number of posts : 782
Registration date : 11/04/2009

Back to top Go down

Post by arkiangel Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:38 am

ONCIRE wrote:guys pano masolve ung pag ineexport ko na cia sa vray mesh/proxy e ngrorotate n cia automatic..annoying kc un need ko pa cia i-rotate pra maayos..minsan din lumiliit or lumalaki kelangan ko p i-scale.. any tip pra maiwasan to?

Madalas din mangyari sa akin ito.. naitanong ko na din ito sa thread ni Sir Bokkins with the topic "Vrayproxy made easy" ( http://www.cgpinoy.org/vray-for-3d-studio-max-tutorials-f35/vray-proxy-made-easy-t4436.htm?highlight=proxy ) and no one ever answers this question, siguro madalang ma-experience ito ng ibang artists.

Sana masagot po ng mga masters. mali kaya yung process na ginagawa kong pagpo-proxy?
arkiangel
arkiangel
CGP Newbie
CGP Newbie

Number of posts : 176
Registration date : 06/02/2009

http://gabsantos.wix.com/portfolio

Back to top Go down

Post by cloud20 Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:24 am

arkiangel wrote:
ONCIRE wrote:guys pano masolve ung pag ineexport ko na cia sa vray mesh/proxy e ngrorotate n cia automatic..annoying kc un need ko pa cia i-rotate pra maayos..minsan din lumiliit or lumalaki kelangan ko p i-scale.. any tip pra maiwasan to?

Madalas din mangyari sa akin ito.. naitanong ko na din ito sa thread ni Sir Bokkins with the topic "Vrayproxy made easy" ( http://www.cgpinoy.org/vray-for-3d-studio-max-tutorials-f35/vray-proxy-made-easy-t4436.htm?highlight=proxy ) and no one ever answers this question, siguro madalang ma-experience ito ng ibang artists.

Sana masagot po ng mga masters. mali kaya yung process na ginagawa kong pagpo-proxy?

O sige na nga; do you export as MULTIPLE files or as a SINGLE file?
cloud20
cloud20
CGP Senior Citizen
CGP Senior Citizen

Number of posts : 3372
Registration date : 21/09/2008

Back to top Go down

Post by v_wrangler Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:34 am

I'm kind of lost to what the actual problem was - scatter works with vrayproxies btw. Scatter compound is part of max to put a disclaimer on master ronel's post above.

As for the rotation and scale problem, can you please elaborate on what you're actually doing?
v_wrangler
v_wrangler
CGP Loverboy
CGP Loverboy

Number of posts : 1994
Registration date : 29/03/2009

http://www.maxworksdigital.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ar_monzter Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:31 am

GALING! ito major problem ko eh.. TNX MASTER! peace man

Last edited by bokkins on Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:40 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : edited caps and bold letters)
ar_monzter
ar_monzter
CGP Apprentice
CGP Apprentice

Number of posts : 260
Registration date : 06/06/2010

Back to top Go down

Post by arkiangel Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:15 am

cloud20 wrote:
arkiangel wrote:

O sige na nga; do you export as MULTIPLE files or as a SINGLE file?

Haha! Salamat Sir Cloud.. I see, dun ba yung problem? I always use the Multiple files sa ngayon, dati kasi yung Single file ginagamit ko parang dun yata nasisira. So, alin po ba sa dalawa ang dapat? As for now, bihira ko na yon ma-encounter pero di ko pa din alam bakit nangyari sa akin yun dati everytime na mag-proxy ako.

Thanks in Advance Wink
arkiangel
arkiangel
CGP Newbie
CGP Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by arkiangel Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:41 am

Here's my own process of making proxies, please let me know if it's correct or not:

1. Attach all objects
2. Edit the pivot ( placing it to 0 coordinate then center-to-center)
3. Convert to vray mesh export
4. On the "Vray mesh export dialog box", I used to choose "export each selected object in a Separate file" then check the box "Automatically create proxies".

Minsan ok naman, minsan nag-i-scale up yung proxy ko. Bakit kaya nangyayari yun.. ano po kaya ang mali ko?
arkiangel
arkiangel
CGP Newbie
CGP Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by najmuddinke Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:40 pm

Hello,

Did not understand the Xref Objets Step

How did you have your teapotmesh.max in the XRef Objects?

Awaitng your reply.

Thanks

najmuddinke

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 03/08/2010

Back to top Go down

Post by najmuddinke Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:19 pm

hello,

I tried using Archmodel 17 0f vol.41.. just 1 object in my interior scene...but the rendering failed.

Please help

najmuddinke

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 03/08/2010

Back to top Go down

Post by render master Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:27 pm

najmuddinke wrote:Hello,
Did not understand the Xref Objets Step
How did you have your teapotmesh.max in the XRef Objects?
Thanks

im doing this in case im planning to use that vraymesh on the other scene so its material will remain intact ( although there's another procedures, this is just one)
render master
render master
Game Master
Game Master

Back to top Go down

Post by render master Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:28 pm

najmuddinke wrote:
I tried using Archmodel 17 0f vol.41.. just 1 object in my interior scene...but the rendering failed.
Please help

without any information ( specs, settings etch, we wouldnt know)
render master
render master
Game Master
Game Master

Back to top Go down

Post by render master Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:42 pm

darkirender wrote:
.... ang alam ko po kc yung xref object/scene ay ginagamit pag gusto mo magpasok sa current scene ng other file/object pero hindi mo xa pwede maedit pag naipasok na.so yung Xref object/scene sa file menu ay ginagamit hindi para maisave ang file o scene kundi para magpasok ng file/object kgaya sa autocad.

xref object can be use also to create a max file for a particular/specific model na kasama ng buong scene. say sa isang scene merong apat na object ( A,B,C, and D). iyong A ginawa kong vraymesh object. Gusto ko kaseng gamitin ang model A sa ibang scene. so what i do is to create a max file for that particular object alone para iyong materials nya ay intact pa rin kapag ginamit ko. although may ibang procedure naman to restore that material sa vraymesh object... this is just one.
render master
render master
Game Master
Game Master

Back to top Go down

Post by ronzcobella Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:39 am

wow ang galing mo sir render master...maraming salamat po dito...God bless you po...mabuhay ang CGP!!!
ronzcobella
ronzcobella
CGP Apprentice
CGP Apprentice

Number of posts : 271
Registration date : 15/09/2010

Back to top Go down

Post by mez Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:57 am

very helpful tutorial. thanks for sharing thumbsup
mez
mez