Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Making of a Night Scene with HDRI (or A Sky Bitmap)

+49
petuts
LKCostales
de3t3r4
snovey
reimhedz
cadz030485
ajfox
reds
johnolive100
killerBEE
kira_01
ar_monzter
juan
osibalasi
cgil
firstrunnerup
Ar_Can_EVSU
epjarchitect
Butz_Arki
pakunat
akoy
renderbeads
aces
8t
benj.arki
keitzkoy
celes
bestheart
manex
theomatheus
ERICK
alwin
Archi.Karl
wyulethe
hitokiroy
bakugan
jefferson01
Muggz
remlex
archie.l
Zoro_Architecture
nomeradona
penzlake21
vamp_lestat
DaryL Padua
v_wrangler
pedio84
geforce
bokkins
53 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Making of a Night Scene with HDRI (or A Sky Bitmap) Empty Making of a Night Scene with HDRI (or A Sky Bitmap)

Post by bokkins Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:39 am

UPDATE:
For those who are having a hardtime with HDRI. You may substitute it with a sky bitmap.

Hi guys. I made a night scene tutorial based on my work-flow from my latest project. During my test renders, I found out that HDRI is a very powerful tool. I would like to share to you the product of my simple experiment. First we need to download an HDRI image of a sunset.

Here I used the Barcelona Rooftops

from >>> http://www.hdrlabs.com/sibl/archive.html

that was shared to us Nomeradona under free stuff section. I suggest you download it first before we start.

Next is we set up our scene. No lights yet, and just use your basic vray settings. I also found out that most of our settings for exterior will work.

Hit render and you will see something like this... A basic scene render.

Making of a Night Scene with HDRI (or A Sky Bitmap) 01-blank

Now we just add the VrayHDRI to the Environment Override on your vray settings.

Making of a Night Scene with HDRI (or A Sky Bitmap) 02-settings

Another VrayHDRI to your Background slot (type 8)

Making of a Night Scene with HDRI (or A Sky Bitmap) 02b-background

We will get something like this. Notice that the color of the scene has changed, this is due to the effect of the HDRI image to the scene. We can now feel the mood or the ambience.

Making of a Night Scene with HDRI (or A Sky Bitmap) 03-hdri

Then we add lights, both fill lights and spotlights using vraylight (sphere) and IES light with web information of (ies-nice or 02).

Making of a Night Scene with HDRI (or A Sky Bitmap) 04-lights

And we have this now... almost done.

Making of a Night Scene with HDRI (or A Sky Bitmap) 05-withlights

And finally, Add trees, cars, etc to complete the scene. Adjust in photoshop the colors or any mood you want to achieve.

Making of a Night Scene with HDRI (or A Sky Bitmap) 06-final-1

I hope you like it! Enjoy creating your very own night scenes! inuman na

Last edited by bokkins on Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:26 pm; edited 4 times in total
bokkins
bokkins
Special Ops
Special Ops

Number of posts : 10369
Registration date : 18/09/2008

Http://bokkins3d.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Making of a Night Scene with HDRI (or A Sky Bitmap) Empty Re: Making of a Night Scene with HDRI (or A Sky Bitmap)

Post by geforce Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:47 am

thanks po sir bokkins..laking tulong po ito... 2thumbsup
geforce
geforce
CGP Newbie
CGP Newbie

Number of posts : 125
Registration date : 04/11/2009

Back to top Go down

Making of a Night Scene with HDRI (or A Sky Bitmap) Empty Re: Making of a Night Scene with HDRI (or A Sky Bitmap)

Post by pedio84 Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:50 am

wow ang bilis nyan sir bokks thanks for sharing. Very Happy
pedio84
pedio84
CGP Guru
CGP Guru

Number of posts : 1421
Registration date : 09/11/2008

Back to top Go down

Post by bokkins Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:59 am

Thanks sa pag-appreciate mga bro. I'm glad you like it. Smile
bokkins
bokkins
Special Ops
Special Ops

Back to top Go down

Post by v_wrangler Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:16 am

Actually bokks, whatever image map (HDRI, plain 8 bit or 24 images, colors or 3dsmax maps) you put in the Environment slot, it will be automatically used as the GI source of illumination and reflections. That means no need to put the same in the Overrides. You only use the overrides if you want to use a different image or simply want to change the orientation or exposure of either maps separately from that of the GI image-based lighting source.

Also for Image based Lighting (use of HDRIs for GI), you don't really need them big and detailed as they will be blurred and interpolated anyways. You can always use a small (256 pix) and blurred version of the same HDRI map used as a reflection override (if there's any). By doing so, you save some memory for the other operations. Of course, if you need this to reflect - the bigger version could reside in the Reflection Overrides.

Since the topic is lighting with HDRI, it is not really beholden to GI. You can also map a vray dome light and use it to light the scene with acceptable results. Sometimes, you can get away with a non-secondary bounce look which some might think as prerequisite to photorealism work. Nay.
v_wrangler
v_wrangler
CGP Loverboy
CGP Loverboy

Number of posts : 1994
Registration date : 29/03/2009

http://www.maxworksdigital.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DaryL Padua Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:33 am

lab it mga sir.. just absorbing your ideas.. hippie
DaryL Padua
DaryL Padua
CGP Apprentice
CGP Apprentice

Number of posts : 516
Registration date : 08/01/2010

http://dpadua_1989@yahoo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by bokkins Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:25 am

v_wrangler wrote:Actually bokks, whatever image map (HDRI, plain 8 bit or 24 images, colors or 3dsmax maps) you put in the Environment slot, it will be automatically used as the GI source of illumination and reflections. That means no need to put the same in the Overrides. You only use the overrides if you want to use a different image or simply want to change the orientation or exposure of either maps separately from that of the GI image-based lighting source.

Also for Image based Lighting (use of HDRIs for GI), you don't really need them big and detailed as they will be blurred and interpolated anyways. You can always use a small (256 pix) and blurred version of the same HDRI map used as a reflection override (if there's any). By doing so, you save some memory for the other operations. Of course, if you need this to reflect - the bigger version could reside in the Reflection Overrides.

Since the topic is lighting with HDRI, it is not really beholden to GI. You can also map a vray dome light and use it to light the scene with acceptable results. Sometimes, you can get away with a non-secondary bounce look which some might think as prerequisite to photorealism work. Nay.

Thanks V. I actually encountered that, but I can't get my desired result. 256(blurred) hdri on environment is ok, but that would be another slot to fill in my materials editor while I already have the hi res version that I used for my reflection that I could already use for my environment. that would save me very small time but is still a savings in theory. Also, I like to use the HDRI simply because I am able to rotate it to my desired position. I admit it's a memory eater but I'm loving the results. It's quite fast too. 10mins ++ at 720px, altho I havent tried it with a larger render. Thanks V for the insight. I'm still finding solutions and this discussion is really good. Smile
bokkins
bokkins
Special Ops
Special Ops

Back to top Go down

Post by bokkins Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:32 am

What I would also like to add is that you can control the exposure with hdri the easy way. It just so happened that I am not able to explain that feature kasi maganda na yung exposure ng nakuha kong HDRI from the net. plus minus on the render multiplier will give different results quickly. so it's an advantages I guess.
bokkins
bokkins
Special Ops
Special Ops

Back to top Go down

Post by DaryL Padua Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:43 am

sir bokkinbs, wat site po ba..makakuha ng free hdri??
DaryL Padua
DaryL Padua
CGP Apprentice
CGP Apprentice

Back to top Go down

Post by bokkins Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:50 am

dito bro. >>> http://www.hdrlabs.com/sibl/archive.html
bokkins
bokkins
Special Ops
Special Ops

Back to top Go down

Post by vamp_lestat Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:16 am

nice tuts sir bokkins....
vamp_lestat
vamp_lestat
CGP Guru
CGP Guru

Number of posts : 1930
Registration date : 27/11/2008

Back to top Go down

Post by bokkins Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:18 am

Thanks bro! Glad you like it. Smile
bokkins
bokkins
Special Ops
Special Ops

Back to top Go down

Post by penzlake21 Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:19 am

brow laking 2long to, salamat!
penzlake21
penzlake21
CGP Apprentice
CGP Apprentice

Number of posts : 826
Registration date : 11/10/2008

Back to top Go down

Post by nomeradona Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:10 pm

thanks bokks galing . malaking tulong to.
nomeradona
nomeradona
SketchUp Guru
SketchUp Guru

Number of posts : 7293
Registration date : 22/09/2008

https://sites.google.com/site/nomeradona3d/

Back to top Go down

Post by Zoro_Architecture Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:09 pm

thanks sir. 2thumbsup
Zoro_Architecture
Zoro_Architecture
CGP Apprentice
CGP Apprentice

Number of posts : 780
Registration date : 23/08/2009

Back to top Go down

Post by archie.l Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:55 am

nice one sir,, bali pinapraktis ko dn po mag lagay ng hdri sa environment,, matanong ko lang kung panu i adjust ung brightness nung sky?
archie.l
archie.l
CGP Apprentice
CGP Apprentice

Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 19/04/2009

http://arcki123@yahoo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by remlex Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:52 am

thank you sir bokkins.. thumbsup dagdag kaalaman na naman to sa amin. buttrock
remlex
remlex
CGP Guru
CGP Guru

Number of posts : 1450
Registration date : 08/07/2009

Back to top Go down

Post by Muggz Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:53 am

nice tutorial sir,,boks,,actually it is very useful and ready to use,,,diko pa kasi timplado gaano pagamit ng may dome or may concaved na bg na may maps kay hdri din gamit ko,,,mabuhay ka sir thumbsup
Muggz
Muggz
CGP Guru
CGP Guru

Number of posts : 1569
Registration date : 03/02/2009

Back to top Go down

Post by DaryL Padua Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:21 am

huwaw! salamat sa pgtulong sir 2thumbsup
DaryL Padua
DaryL Padua
CGP Apprentice
CGP Apprentice

Back to top Go down

Post by bokkins Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:10 am

penzlake21 wrote:brow laking 2long to, salamat!

Thanks bro. you can also use basic maps as alternative to hdri.

nomeradona wrote:thanks bokks galing . malaking tulong to.

Thanks bro. kaso di ko kabisado ang para sa SU. Ikaw na bahala dun ha. hehe Smile

Zoro_Architecture wrote:thanks sir. 2thumbsup

Thanks din bro.

archie.l wrote:nice one sir,, bali pinapraktis ko dn po mag lagay ng hdri sa environment,, matanong ko lang kung panu i adjust ung brightness nung sky?

Thanks bro. Bale increase mo lang ang Render mult sa HDRI settings para lumiwanag ang HDRI at ang scene.

remlex wrote:thank you sir bokkins.. thumbsup dagdag kaalaman na naman to sa amin. buttrock

Thanks bro!

Muggz wrote:nice tutorial sir,,boks,,actually it is very useful and ready to use,,,diko pa kasi timplado gaano pagamit ng may dome or may concaved na bg na may maps kay hdri din gamit ko,,,mabuhay ka sir thumbsup

Hindi ko pa natry ang dome, di ko ma-differentiate pa ang dalawa, pro aralin ko din yan at icompare ko to. thanks!

DaryL Padua wrote:huwaw! salamat sa pgtulong sir 2thumbsup

Thanks din bro. Smile
bokkins
bokkins
Special Ops
Special Ops

Back to top Go down

Post by jefferson01 Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:39 pm

nice one sir bokkins.....
jefferson01
jefferson01
CGP Apprentice
CGP Apprentice

Number of posts : 475
Registration date : 19/09/2008

Back to top Go down

Post by bokkins Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:51 pm

jefferson01 wrote:nice one sir bokkins.....

Thanks Jeff! Punta ka bukas ha. Smile
bokkins
bokkins
Special Ops
Special Ops

Back to top Go down

Post by bakugan Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:02 pm

Salamat sa pagshare sir bokks. 2thumbsup
bakugan
bakugan
CGP Guru
CGP Guru

Number of posts : 1984
Registration date : 02/04/2009

Back to top Go down

Post by hitokiroy Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:22 pm

thanks bro! will try this now! 2thumbsup
hitokiroy
hitokiroy
The Renaissance Man
The Renaissance Man

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 21/09/2008

Back to top Go down

Post by wyulethe Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:56 pm

thanks po sir bokkins...(.n_n.)Happy valentines day... hehehe
wyulethe
wyulethe
CGP Newbie
CGP Newbie

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 28/06/2009

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum