Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CG artist but cant draw (is it a pre-requisite)

+29
thhm
Gonsharper
vasQ
3dpjumong2007
ARCHITHEKTHURA
pricklypineapple
A.K.A.
AUSTRIA
Nico.Patdu
arki_lynx
jenaro
kinej
knives seiji kun
revtrax
Alapaap
v_wrangler
nomeradona
boyluya
Norman
icefrik19
celes
Allan Amor
scorpion21
balongeisler
alwin
mammoo_03
jolicoeur030488
moothe
aegnor2007
33 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

CG artist but cant draw (is it a pre-requisite) - Page 2 Empty CG artist but cant draw (is it a pre-requisite)

Post by aegnor2007 Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:44 am

First topic message reminder :

Gusto ko sana maging CG artist/animator/modeller/etc pero hindi ako marunong mag drawing. Is it a pre-requisite ang excellent drawing skills para maging animator/CG artist ka? I.T. kasi ang course ko at Im aiming for the multimedia side unfortunately hindi ako marunong mag drawing but im starting to learn 3dsmax little by little. I started to do adobe photoshop muna then > after effects > then 3dsmax. Pangarap ko kasi to kaso nawawalan ako ng pagasa kasi hindi ako marunong mag drawing.

nid advice sa mga senpai dyan =)

aegnor2007
CGP Newbie
CGP Newbie

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 25/10/2009

Back to top Go down

CG artist but cant draw (is it a pre-requisite) - Page 2 Empty Re: CG artist but cant draw (is it a pre-requisite)

Post by AUSTRIA Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:06 am

Wow....good point mga ka Cgpips. Ako naman ang opinion ko dito is 'Advantage' kung marunong ka mag drawing pero
hindi pre-reguisite. Para sa akin ang visualization is an Art din kung papaano mo interpret ang isang bagay at diyan
sa tingin ko lamang ang marunong mag drawing. Kaya ko siya nasabi na lamang kasi Talent na
yan eh and I believe na kung meron ka niyan mas magaling ka sa Composition, choice of colors, proportion,shadows
at maglagay ng palamuti sa gawa mo. I remember when I was in college kung sino yung magagaling mag drawing
sila talaga yung magagaling sa Rendering eh. I believe Drawing is a talent and gift given by God pero pwede
pa rin natin matutunan like Sir Nomer said ang pagbabasa ng libro............

God bless bro para sa mga plano mo!!!!!

AUSTRIA
CGP Le Corbusier
CGP Le Corbusier

Number of posts : 2422
Registration date : 19/09/2008

Back to top Go down

CG artist but cant draw (is it a pre-requisite) - Page 2 Empty Re: CG artist but cant draw (is it a pre-requisite)

Post by A.K.A. Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:04 am

good read here 2thumbsup

it's not a pre-requisite but learning it doesn't harmed you as well.

i bet 98% of great cg artist has 98% probability of having great talent in freehand drawings and rendering.

talent cannot be acquired because it is God's gift but skills & knowledge is everywhere. you just have to spend time on learning it. aral ka rin bro ng freehand drawings balang araw magagamit mo yan.
A.K.A.
A.K.A.
CGP Apprentice
CGP Apprentice

Number of posts : 350
Registration date : 25/10/2009

Back to top Go down

Post by pricklypineapple Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:26 pm

good points...

Practical-wise indeed, it'll be good if you could draw it. Why? cause it's a faster means of communicating your idea, especially if you want to 'sell' this idea to the client.
If you went to do render direct in 3d..then it'll just eat more time. Which means more time spent to get the idea across. or a more tedious process to communicate visually. (e.g. Architectural visualization or camera layout)

In some instances it may not be necessary though...but...in real-world it's a skill that can separate you from just being 'some CG Artist'. hence Any plus skill = plus asset / value

Unless your fast and can communicate & nail the stuff render out 'kick-ass' then..who cares if you cant draw as well -- afterall if the end result still requires CG image. That's a different story altogether. (e.g. CGi in terms of visual effects..fire..particles -- it'l be crazy to just draw it)

..something like that.

Very Happy
pricklypineapple
pricklypineapple
CGP Newbie
CGP Newbie

Number of posts : 92
Registration date : 19/02/2009

Back to top Go down

Post by ARCHITHEKTHURA Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:54 am

i dont think its a pre requisite. But i highly suggest to learn it as well. I myself cant consider myself as a very good in CG and Freehand or traditional rendering. I know both but not really good at it. Before i can do a freehand perspective a lot faster than 3d. Then time pass by, i go the other way around.Yun na kse ang naging practice. Nasanay na ko doing my presentation sa cg. Thats because dumami na din yung alam ko and i set a lot of libraries and templates to do a decent and presentable images in a given short span of time.
Freehand, is it still necessary?? Yes it is. My bosses are born on the 50's and 60's.Yes they re old. So what do you expect? Can you communicate with them using editable poly? or editable mesh? IR + LC??? Even a simple curves,brightness and contrast in PS they cant relate with you. So thats why we are still using traditional way of communication as a designer and a CG artist as well..
Hope you get our points.. Almost all the same but we are just sharing different experiences and thoughts about it.. thumbsup
ARCHITHEKTHURA
ARCHITHEKTHURA
The Groom
The Groom

Number of posts : 1122
Registration date : 05/05/2009

Back to top Go down

Post by 3dpjumong2007 Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:56 pm

it really depends sa gusto mong field bro but you have to be specific in modelling kasi if youll apply as furniture 3d modeller you have to know manual drawing , i just remember kasi 11 years ago when i applied sa isang furniture company for riyadh , i was asked to do manual drawing for the piano in front of me when the employer knew already my ability sa cad modelling and said to me that he knew already that my skill in cad has no question but you have to be at least able to draw isometric coz sometimes there walk-in client would describe what they want and thats the time youll be drawing it manually while they are talking bout the outlook they want .it doesnt have to be that quality but at least can be understood by the client . kala ko nga bagsak ako kasi isometric ang ginawa ko sa piano .pero pumasa naman pala .. among those took the test dalawa lng kami pumasa but i declined later kasi i was offered a project dito sa tacloban kaya di na ako tumuloy , nagsisi din ako kasi 45t 11 years ago was quite an offer already ... kaya eto ako nag aapply uli at sana palarin na .. hope it helps bro... kahit papano kailangan di natin mag mano mano kahit di masyado maganda kailangan lng maintindihan..
3dpjumong2007
3dpjumong2007
CGP Guru
CGP Guru

Number of posts : 1684
Registration date : 19/09/2008

http://alfredjussilprado.carbonmade.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by vasQ Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:40 am

CG is such a big field sir, has a lot of branches. So it would be better if you focus on the field that you really want to do. You asked this question:

"Is it a pre-requisite ang excellent drawing skills para maging animator/CG artist ka?"

If you are aiming to be an character animator and you will be using Flash then you should have decent drawing skills since it is more like the traditional way of animating. You have to draw frame by frame if it's really needed for the scene to work. The program does a make the process of animating in 2D a whole lot faster, but then again you gotta have those drawing skills. Now, if you are aiming to be a 3D character animator then I believe there is less burden for you to be a very good draftsman. Since everything has been modeled already and rigged you now have the opportunity to focus more on how the character would act. You don't have the problem of drawing each character in a very difficult perspective and then put the action within them since you can adjust the camera angles in 3D. But even with these advantages a 3D program has, I still think that you would become a better 3D animator if you know at least the basics of drawing, i.e. anatomy. You still have to position your 3D character properly on each key frame to make the whole scene believable and with drawing skills in anatomy you can easily create very good key frames.
So, it would really help you a lot if you start to grab a pencil and paper and start practicing to draw if it's character animation in 2D or 3D you are aiming for.

Just my humble thoughts for the question you raised. Hope it helps a bit even though I focused only on the animation part as that's where my experience is. Smile Good luck sir and always remember the most important things in order to reach your dreams: PASSION and HARD WORK.
vasQ
vasQ
CGP Newbie
CGP Newbie

Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 05/11/2008

Back to top Go down

Post by v_wrangler Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:09 am

If I am an employer making a choice for an applicant - it will all boil down to two things:

1. either you can visualize and draw an idea
2. or you can render the idea with lightning speed and precision.

It is not always late to learn a new thing or two. If you can't draw - why resign from the inability - you can always learn how and cherish the new opportunities it could bring.

In a real world production setting, no matter how cool you can render but if you do not know how to draw your ideas, character or backgrounds, or paint your own maps - you will be left out in the cold when everybodys too busy minding their own jobs. And then ... somebody better (and can paint!) will come before you and you will be forgotten.

So improve your marketability and try to learn new tricks - drawing included.

I agree with vasq about specialties but the way I'd propose it is to learn them all first before specializing. Now matter what we do - generalists (and those who do them better) sell like hotcakes.
v_wrangler
v_wrangler
CGP Loverboy
CGP Loverboy

Number of posts : 1994
Registration date : 29/03/2009

http://www.maxworksdigital.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico.Patdu Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:07 pm

bro share ko lang sayo to mahilig ako sa mga "the makings" ng mga cg films, at napansin ko yung artistic team naguumpisa lagi sa mga conceptual drawings tpos nun 3d na Smile
Nico.Patdu
Nico.Patdu
CGP Guru
CGP Guru

Number of posts : 1406
Registration date : 03/11/2008

Back to top Go down

Post by Gonsharper Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:22 am

In my case it doesn't matter kung magaling kang magsketch.. nakita nyo n ba mga wood sculpture some of them di nila ginuguhit mga work nila...and i ask them kung bakit wala silang visual guide..then ang sagot nila di n kailangan yun basta malakas ang imagination mo at magaling kang mag observe sa surrounding mo at ang maganda pa nito yung blueprint mo nasa utak mo na di n nila mananakaw. 3D Modeling was so similar in wood sculpture and its obvious n madaming sculpture sofware like z brush... sa texturing naman you must know the fundamentals of color and lighting..ito ang aking pinag-aaralan this time..good luck

Gonsharper
CGP Newbie
CGP Newbie

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 01/12/2009

Back to top Go down

Post by thhm Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:54 pm

Ako rin hindi magaling sa sketching/freehand, pero since above average na siguro ang speed pagdating sa 3d modeling, di pa ko sinisibak sa archi firm na pinapasukan ko:D pero everytime nakakakita ako ng mga tablet drawn cg art sa mga websites, or mga photoshop speed painting sa youtube, nakaka inggit lang talaga, and gusto mo matutunan.. iba pa rin kasi ang dating ng classical medium, less mechanical kung baga, at may makukuha ka dung techniques para bigyan ng "realism" or "life" ang mga 3d renders mo.. yun lang po.

thhm

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 01/12/2009

Back to top Go down

Post by jolicoeur030488 Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:36 pm

imagination sir ang mahalaga.. kahit di mo mavisualize gamit ang pag pagguhit.. nanjan ang ibang materials.. madami jang resource...
jolicoeur030488
jolicoeur030488
CGP Apprentice
CGP Apprentice

Number of posts : 785
Registration date : 17/08/2009

Back to top Go down

Post by ortzak Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:12 am

Its an edge talaga if you have talent in both worlds. but if you can interpret your visuals in terms of 3d agad, why not di ba 2thumbsup
ortzak
ortzak
CGP Expert
CGP Expert

Number of posts : 4555
Registration date : 14/01/2009

http://plandesignvisualize.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kakashi Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:26 pm

there`s a similar thread in CGtalk about this, and sadly, this is what they said about this matter:

here`s the link ---> http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=283&t=822161

the one that caught my attention is this statement from leigh:
(and i quote)

"more and more studios are asking to see traditional work along with people's showreels these days. I guess it's a way of separating the button pushers from the artists. Every single one of the best modellers I know is also good at drawing."

a very discouraging statement indeed, its sad but also true.
Kakashi
Kakashi
CGP Newbie
CGP Newbie

Number of posts : 83
Registration date : 28/06/2009

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeffrey Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:08 am

Nkaka inspire nmn ung mga cnabi nio..ako marunong ako mag drawing pero nde ako ganun ka galing. Kaya naisip ko rin yan. Nung nka raan nga nag apply ako sa Secret Six, tpos sabi nila my art test p daw..so dahil ang pag kaka alam ko marunong nga ako mag drawing kaya pumunta ako. Ayun! sobrang hirap pla nung art test..it took me 5 hours just to finish those 6 items of the test. Kaya ang nangyari...nde ako tanggap hehe! pero ok lng bata p nmn ako at marami pa akong pdeng gawin para mag improve ako sa isang bagay n pinaka gusto ko ant nde ako npipilitan.

Jeffrey
CGP Newbie
CGP Newbie

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 21/07/2009

Back to top Go down

Post by Muggz Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:50 am

nasa puso yan sir,,,maybe you ain't got the talent to illustrate by hand,,,but in comes to cg its another different environment,,,all you need is the idea,inspiration,patience and curiousity.... thumbsup
Muggz
Muggz
CGP Guru
CGP Guru

Number of posts : 1569
Registration date : 03/02/2009

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2