Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rectangular and Omni lights

+11
Artu
•harry•
Arch.Jess
grappy
71veedub
ikl0k
RedSparda
leevanredz
Joaquin
jhames joe albert infante
nomeradona
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Rectangular and Omni lights Empty Rectangular and Omni lights

Post by nomeradona Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:04 am

an excerpt from damien alomar (one of the developer of vrayfor sketchup). once you read it you will now be able to choose in unsing rectabgular and omni lighgts.

Everything when talking about speed almost always goes back to raytracing, so I'll explain both in those terms. Omni lights are the easiest to work with raytracing wise, and will typically result in the minimum number of rays that need to be traced. Everything gets traced from a single point, and there's no need to see if a given point should try and trace rays from a light (not so with a spot light, which is just an omni light with an angle check on it...outside that angle and don't trace it..).

Rectangular lights on the other hand have a physical area that is associated with its generation of light. Therefore, "theoretically" the entire area of the light must be sampled in order to by completely accurate. Of course this is impossible bc points are infinitesimally small, and there are an infinite number of them along the surface of any rectangular light (this is one of the "technicalities" that prevent any renderer from being truly "physically correct"...anyway). So what it comes down to is that we've got to sample a certain number of points to get an idea of the contribution of a rectangular light. Typically, these samples are generated through the concept of subdivisions, so however many subdivisions you have on your light just square that an you'll have the number of rays traced for that particular rec light. By default we have 8, so if you haven't changed a thing on your rec light settings, then you'll trace 64 rays every time you sample a rec light. Thats opposed to 1 ray for sampling a rec light and I think you'll know the answer.

Now, I went through all that explanation more to for proper use of rec lights as opposed to the rec light/omni light comparision. Omni lights are fast, but they tend to make your renders look fairly flat and sharp, and don't do much for your reflections (cause they won't show up). So I still recommend using rec lights in most situations. Anyway, back to the real story. Those 64 samples are regardless of the size of your light, so thats why the technique of using one large light above a ceiling or behind a wall tend to be faster than a light at every opening/light. However, there are some significant disadvantages with that, mainly that your actually taking some samples of that light that will never be used (the ones that are right behind geometry...not over openings), which is of course fairly inefficient. Remember you're going to take all 64 samples every time you sample that light, regardless of what parts of the light are truly visible. In the end, the "one large light" technique tends to require more sampling anyway, so say you bump it up to 16 subdivisions, which means 256 samples, more than half of those are probably thrown away.

So enter the "multiple lights where I need them" technique. Depending on the number of lights that are being used, this can be almost worse than the "one large light" technique. Say you're making a 4 X 6 grid of rectangle lights...that's going to be 24 lights. Each one of those with the same number of subdivisions will be 1536 (24*64) samples, which would be so much bigger than the 24 samples if they were omni lights, and 256 samples of a large highly sampled rec light. However, that's at the default 8 subdivisions, which may be overkill in this situation. If we manage those subdivision, we can bring our total number of samples down and get just as good quality. So lets say we take 4 subdivisions instead of 8, leading to 16 samples per light as opposed to 64. Looking at all the lights, this translates to 384 samples as opposed to 1536 with 8 subdivisions (with all of those 384 samples being used efficiently). Now this is starting to look much more manageable. The more rec lights you add, the more you have to start thinking about how their sampled. Sometimes, you just have to have them so you need to manage them, other times, the quality of the rendered image is night and day from omni lights to rec lights.

Lastly (and bringing this back to your original question), rec lights have an option called Store With Irradiance Map. Basically, what this does, rather than sample all of the lights when calculating a given pixel (which can be many individual samples depending on you're AA settings), it will sample your rec lights @ each IR sample as opposed to pixel sample. Generally (and I'm just guessing here) the number of irradiance map samples is about 25% of the number of pixel's you're rendering...not to mention that most pixels will require more than one sample. Needless to say, this can significantly decrease the amount of time that is require to sample rec lights. Just keep in mind that the quality of your rec light solution is tied into your IR quality (which isn't that much of an issue really).

So, take charge my friend, and don't resign yourself to the complacency of omni lights, simply for "speed's" sake. Speed is in your hands, regardless of your choice of light.
nomeradona
nomeradona
SketchUp Guru
SketchUp Guru

Number of posts : 7293
Registration date : 22/09/2008

https://sites.google.com/site/nomeradona3d/

Back to top Go down

Rectangular and Omni lights Empty Re: Rectangular and Omni lights

Post by nomeradona Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:07 am

Math calculation on number of samples
8^2 = 8*8 = 64
16^2 = 16*16 = 256
4 * 6 = 24
24 * 64 = 1536
4^2 = 4*4 = 16
24 * 16 = 384

test renders

I set up an isolated test; a box with an opening where the sun is coming from the back so it's quite dark inside the box by default.

Then I inserted a rectangular light covering 90% of the ceiling where I rendered the same scene with various subdivs.

2 subdivs: 26.4s
20 subdivs: 27.3s
200 subdivs: 1m21.2s
2000 subdivs: (still rendering after watching one Mythbusters episode) {1h33m4.8s - about two Mythbusters episodes}

What I also notice with the various test renders is that I can't really see any difference in them. Though this is with a completely empty room.
But I see that I can reduce the subdivs in the scene I mentioned in the OP drasticly. Knowing that the number of ray is the square, I see how much impact even 1 subdiv makes. Now I can place them more smartly.
nomeradona
nomeradona
SketchUp Guru
SketchUp Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by nomeradona Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:09 am

thomthom's experiment

I'm posting some of the test renders I did while experimenting with LC. I prefer images over text, guessing more people do as well.
Rendered with physical camera, light source is sky with one rectangular light inside the box.
First of is a series of four renders with different subdivision. You can see that there's hardly any difference in the resulting image except render time. (first image is missing sky as I forgot to remove the alpha in VFB)
IR (low quality) + LC
Rectangular and Omni lights Render01qm8
Rectangular and Omni lights Render02xk8
Rectangular and Omni lights Render03qj1
Rectangular and Omni lights Render04xc7
Next is a render with same settings as the third image, except this time the rectangular light is stored with IR. Notice the render time difference.
Rectangular and Omni lights Render05af8
nomeradona
nomeradona
SketchUp Guru
SketchUp Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by nomeradona Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:11 am

conclusion... use lower subdivision when using rectangular lights
nomeradona
nomeradona
SketchUp Guru
SketchUp Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by jhames joe albert infante Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:01 pm

sir, MAraming salamat dito... marahil un nga cgro problema ko minsan kung bakit antagal magrender.. eniwei.. hmm cgro sir requet nlang eh example nman ng omni light Very Happy

kc diba we use omni for pinlights.. is it posible to use rec lights for our pinlights?
Smile
CGP Expert
CGP Expert

Number of posts : 2733
Registration date : 18/11/2008

Back to top Go down

Post by nomeradona Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:22 pm

pwede mas maganda nga eh. kasi yung omni flat yung light nya. pero madaling controlin ang shadow.
nomeradona
nomeradona
SketchUp Guru
SketchUp Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Joaquin Tue May 05, 2009 4:45 am

Sir, nomeradona

Thanks for sharing ulit wala na akong masabi SU Guru ka tlga.
dami akong nalalaman na techniques and knowledge.

Salamat ng marami!
Joaquin
Joaquin
CGP Newbie
CGP Newbie

Number of posts : 170
Registration date : 03/05/2009

Back to top Go down

Post by nomeradona Tue May 05, 2009 7:17 am

basta ba kapag nalaman mo at may nagtanong at alam mo i share mo rin.
nomeradona
nomeradona
SketchUp Guru
SketchUp Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Joaquin Tue May 05, 2009 7:36 am

Sir,

Noted yan salamat ulit!
Joaquin
Joaquin
CGP Newbie
CGP Newbie

Number of posts : 170
Registration date : 03/05/2009

Back to top Go down

Post by leevanredz Mon May 25, 2009 10:05 am

galing galing mo talaga hehehe... andi2 n lahat ng kelangan ko para thesis salamat yahoooo..
leevanredz
leevanredz
CGP Newbie
CGP Newbie

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 25/05/2009

Back to top Go down

Rectangular and Omni lights Empty rectangular light sa pinlight

Post by RedSparda Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:14 am

sir newbie lng po ako and naencounter ko po this forum by shear luck from fnding tutorials and tips regarding vray for SU,
ask ko lng po nabanggit po kc dito na pde mgamit ung rec light sa pin lights, is it necessarily round un pinlight, if ever possible, panu po mga sir?
RedSparda
RedSparda

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 16/02/2010

Back to top Go down

Post by nomeradona Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:32 am

yung receptacle ba ng pinlight ang tanung mo. medyo malabo.
nomeradona
nomeradona
SketchUp Guru
SketchUp Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by RedSparda Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:30 pm

opo sir nomer hehehe mejo malabo po ba hehe salamat po sa answer sir... im trying to use omni light instead... di ko pa kc gamay paggamit ng omni naguguluhan ako dun sa bilog na lumalabas eh, nahihirapan ako mgscale... enx po and more power ^_^
RedSparda
RedSparda

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 16/02/2010

Back to top Go down

Post by nomeradona Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:35 am

scale mo bro using su tool. tapos i pasko mo sa loob ng light receptacle.
nomeradona
nomeradona
SketchUp Guru
SketchUp Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by ikl0k Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:46 pm

galeng tlga ni sir nomer. awww!!!
ikl0k
ikl0k
CGP Newbie
CGP Newbie

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 13/12/2009

Back to top Go down

Post by 71veedub Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:59 pm

ah sir tanong ko lang, regarding rec light, hindi sya umiilaw eh, bakit kea? sa old tutorial kasi for SU6 Multiplier ang papalitan since SU7 na sir gamit ko sa VRAY light option wala ng ganun. anu ba aadjust para umilaw? thnx newbie here.
71veedub
71veedub
CGP Newbie
CGP Newbie

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 31/05/2009

Back to top Go down

Post by nomeradona Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:28 pm

most likely the physical camera is on. physical camera was designed to counterbalance the brightness of the sun which is millions brighter than the rectangular light or omni light. you can do many options:

- turnoff the physical camera (which i do especially when im not using the sun
- physical camera on but giving really high mulitplier with my omni.
- physical camera on (turn off the sun) and adjust the exposure of the camera (bringing down the fvalue to 2 ) decreasing the ISO and increasing the shutters speed.
nomeradona
nomeradona
SketchUp Guru
SketchUp Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by ikl0k Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:10 am

2thumbsup
ikl0k
ikl0k
CGP Newbie
CGP Newbie

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 13/12/2009

Back to top Go down

Post by grappy Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:00 am

Hi Sir Nomer,

If I understand correctly, even if the other vray lights are not in my view window, they will still be processed? ex. I'm only rendering the master's bedroom but the v-ray light inside another room will be processed also?

Thanks.
grappy
grappy
CGP Newbie
CGP Newbie

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 04/03/2010

Back to top Go down

Rectangular and Omni lights Empty PROBLEMS

Post by Arch.Jess Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:44 pm

Sir i have a problem now. . . im using the IR and LC engines but once the render isa done i have this white "light spots" on my walls. this is so irritating because i'll do more editing in photoshop.

Arch.Jess
CGP Newbie
CGP Newbie

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 19/03/2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Arch.Jess Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:47 pm

Sir Nomer can i add you to my yahoo mail account? please sir, im nearing my deadline and i need a pleasing presentation for my project! Thank You very much

Arch.Jess
CGP Newbie
CGP Newbie

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 19/03/2010

Back to top Go down

Post by nomeradona Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:06 am

bro. sorry cant help you at the moment. im on vacation. i think those white splotches are because of the sun...or baka yung caustic naka tick.

try these.

1. look at the caustic. be sure hindi naka tick

2. try to use another material for your glass. can you download the clear glass material. isa sa mga vismat na kasama sa vray. load mo lang sya.

3. or do not use sun. instead palitan mo yung sun ng omni sa labas.
nomeradona
nomeradona
SketchUp Guru
SketchUp Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by •harry• Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:05 am

pano po gagawing pinlight yung omni light? gagwa lang po ng parang cone or tube tapos ipapasok dun yung omni light?
•harry•
•harry•
CGP Newbie
CGP Newbie

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 29/06/2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Artu Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:15 am

I've read this once. thanks for making it crystal clear Very Happy

Artu
CGP Newbie
CGP Newbie

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 03/09/2010

Back to top Go down

Post by m | 9 z Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:37 am

Nice sir, very informative. I usually use 30 subdivs on every rec lights i use. Kaya siguro mabagal mga rendering ko on interiors.
m | 9 z
m | 9 z
CGP Apprentice
CGP Apprentice

Number of posts : 292
Registration date : 21/10/2008

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next