Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Expert-level art seminars for middle of this year

+8
super_insomniac
ERICK
glensky
AJ Cortez
blackalbino45
bokkins
arkiedmund
ngusumo
12 posters

Go down

Expert-level art seminars for middle of this year Empty Expert-level art seminars for middle of this year

Post by ngusumo Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:38 am

Hi guys,

My name is Ryan Sumo and I'm a member of GDAP (game developers' association of the Philippines). GDAP is an organization that represents the local game industry at trade events and to the local government and education sectors as well. Along with this, we're trying to promote local seminars and conferences in order to nurture the game development industry locally. In light of this, we're looking to have some sort of high level art seminar with pinoys working abroad as guest speakers. Here is the original post from the IGDA forums by Gabby Dizon, President of GDAP and flipside games:

Hey guys,

We've been talking to a few Pinoys in the US who are in the game industry and really want to help the local developers improve by transferring the knowledge they've gained while working at their respective studios.

So, the question is - if we were to invite some artists from the game industry over to the Philippines, what topics would you like to hear?

I'd like to get some feedback on this any we could put up a seminar that is open to all artists doing games, sometime in the middle of the year.

So yun. I don't know how much, if any, the seminar will cost, but this is a good way to learn from the experts, who are excited to give back to the Pinoy developer commmunity. I'd appreciate if you could leave comments here and I'll point gabby this way.

Thanks, and I hope to hear a lot of comments from you guys. Sulitin na natin to, minsan lang nagkakaseminar ng ganito dito!

ngusumo
CGP Newbie
CGP Newbie

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 21/01/2009

Back to top Go down

Expert-level art seminars for middle of this year Empty Re: Expert-level art seminars for middle of this year

Post by arkiedmund Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:36 am

First of all welcome to CGPinoy. I am quite interested with such a seminar, although I am not in the game industry. I am sure, some of our members here are part of it.

One of the things that I'd like to get information would be about low poly modeling techniques. Based on what I read, game developers need to model objects with the lowest possible count, and at the same time the level of detail would still be satisfactory for use in a certain game project or title.

topic would probably touch on how low can one go in modeling such objects, as well as the effective texturing of said object.

I am sure some of us here who knows a lot in this area will be contributing their ideas to.

Thanks...

Manager
Manager

Number of posts : 3956
Registration date : 19/09/2008

Back to top Go down

Expert-level art seminars for middle of this year Empty Re: Expert-level art seminars for middle of this year

Post by bokkins Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:29 am

Uy this is a good idea. could you send me criterias na pwedeng itackle sa seminar then we'll have a poll for that. What do you think? Mga Hanggang ten options as for the seminar to have a focus instead of tackling everything, not unless it will be running for several days. I think we can have some inputs from the community. Thanks for sharing this good news. and welcome to CGP. Smile
bokkins
bokkins
Special Ops
Special Ops

Number of posts : 10369
Registration date : 18/09/2008

Http://bokkins3d.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by ngusumo Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:56 pm

Thanks guys. I'm hoping to put up some gallery stuff soon too.

Well about the topics to be tackled I was hoping you guys would have some suggestions hehe. arkiedumnd had the low poly suggestion, and maybe once we have some more ideas come in you can put up a poll. Smile

I was also thinking of a talk about how to break into the industry, like what kinds of skillsets are required specifically, how do you promote your art etc.

ngusumo
CGP Newbie
CGP Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by blackalbino45 Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:12 pm

If this pushes through it will definitely be an event that I will be attending regardless of the cost.

This will definitely be an event as well that will attract students and those interested but not yet acquainted on how Art in the Videogame industry rolls out. So I guess, a definite part of each guests Artist's segment is to talk about their styles in detail, such as how do they start? Material and Apps they use to recreate their Art style.

I, for one, am always very interested and curious on how an Artist recreates their Art style or their concept behind that style.

Just a thought here: Maybe they can do a speed Art in front of the audience as well, or at least show a video of their speed Art as they talk about their unique styles.

Please update us all when the event pushes through. Thanks!

blackalbino45

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 22/01/2009

Back to top Go down

Post by AJ Cortez Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:28 pm

I definetely recommend attending this if you have a chance. I find this type of conferences the best in terms of meeting new connections, sharing ideas, and getting more projects.

Some good presentations might be about the game production pipeline, from concept to release date.
Best practices for creating texture maps for the latest generation consoles.
Maybe a course on how to get your 3D assets into a real time game engine, including pitfalls to look out for.
How to put a demo reel together geared for getting a job with a game company.

Good luck with this! It will benefit the everyone involved!
AJ Cortez
AJ Cortez
CGP Apprentice
CGP Apprentice

Number of posts : 342
Registration date : 30/12/2008

http://www.3d-mg.com

Back to top Go down

Post by glensky Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:34 am

dear ngusomo,wow!!!i think it would be awesome if e seminar will also have something for those who wants to start a career in this line,for one my two sons are interested to this stuff.please keep us updated, in anyway we can help please dont hesitate
glensky
glensky
CGP Apprentice
CGP Apprentice

Number of posts : 440
Registration date : 06/10/2008

Back to top Go down

Post by ERICK Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:45 am

how about us newbies and noobs???
ERICK
ERICK
CGP Dark Horse
CGP Dark Horse

Number of posts : 3907
Registration date : 18/09/2008

http://www.ericktorio.tk http://www.coroflot.com/ericktorio

Back to top Go down

Post by ngusumo Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:36 pm

Hi guys thanks for the great feedback! Mejo napepressure na tuloy ako sana nga maging successful ito.

Erick: Unfortunately this particular seminar is slanted towards people who are already a little bit experienced in the game industry or have some experience in animation, 2d art, etc.

We're also looking at events to cater to entry level artists, and I'll make sure to post in here again if ever an event like that comes up.

Thanks again for the comments guys!

ngusumo
CGP Newbie
CGP Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by super_insomniac Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:23 pm

Sana matuloy ito.
super_insomniac
super_insomniac
CGP Newbie
CGP Newbie

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 23/03/2009

Back to top Go down

Post by alwin Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:06 am

ganda sana kung meron din dito sa cebu kaya lang parang manila lang yan!
o kaya pupunta kaya sila dito! hehe! kahit may bayad ok lang!
alwin
alwin
CGP Expert
CGP Expert

Number of posts : 2176
Registration date : 22/01/2009

Back to top Go down

Post by torvicz Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:51 am

this is an event that we shudn't miss cgpips!
kung nandyan lang cguro ako mauuna ako sa pilahan...hehe

matagal ko nang gustong makapasok sa gaming industry,
di ko lang talaga alam kung san magstart at panu...

sa ganitong seminar malaki ang maitutulong sa mga katulad kong
gustong magshift or ma try ganitong field...

will keep an eye on this thread and I'm hoping that this wud push thru...

do you have an on-line community that we cud visit?
TIA... and good luck!
torvicz
torvicz
Sgt. Pepper
Sgt. Pepper

Number of posts : 3235
Registration date : 01/10/2008

Back to top Go down

Post by Alicecocoz Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:31 am

Up for this one!

Maybe they could discuss the entire workflow of the game industry. From concept to game development to production. I'm really interested on how titles are done. Sana meron mga pinoys na makarating from Blizzard para matanung kung kelan ma release ang Diablo and SC2 hehehe
Alicecocoz
Alicecocoz
CGP Apprentice
CGP Apprentice

Number of posts : 328
Registration date : 19/12/2008

Back to top Go down

Post by Akira Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:39 am

sana matuloy to..
Akira
Akira
CGP Newbie
CGP Newbie

Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 15/10/2008

http://iloveshobe.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down