Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

the dream machine!!!

+11
dpyxl
logikpixel
vin621
Norman
nheil29
necrolyte
whey09
arki_vhin
jenaro
ramzARKI
mammoo_03
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

the dream machine!!! - Page 2 Empty the dream machine!!!

Post by mammoo_03 Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:28 am

First topic message reminder :

the dream machine!!! - Page 2 A12

Last edited by mammoo_03 on Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:57 am; edited 1 time in total
mammoo_03
mammoo_03
The Exhibitioner
The Exhibitioner

Number of posts : 2417
Registration date : 20/09/2008

http://www.coroflot.com/archmlcm

Back to top Go down

the dream machine!!! - Page 2 Empty DREAM MACHINE

Post by artedesenyo Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:14 pm

meron na ko ng intel i7 system kaya ito na aking bagong dream system

from TYAN mga bro

This all started with me discovering a fantastic product by Tyan. Tyan is a specialized manufacturer, most known for their server mainboard : e.g. if you look for a dual Xeon mainboard as a separate part, you'll see more Tyan products than any other brand.

The product I come to discuss about today is a barebone. We all know some standard barebones like Shuttle products. It's a case, a power-supply unit (PSU) and a special mainboard designed to fit into the case because it's usually a special form factor.

This barebone is a special one : it looks like a tower that can be rack-mounted as a 5U unit. It's named Tyan Transport VX50. Like a Shuttle barebone, it's a case and a mainboard, except some "minor" differences :
- It's not a simple PSU but a quadruple one, for a total power of 1620W.
- It's not a simple case : it comes with a secured door and 8 hot-swap racks for your harddrives (regular SATA 3.5")
- It's not a simple mainboard : there is a main mainboard and a daughter board, each of them housing 4 Socket F.

Yes you understood it right : we're talking about 8 CPUs ! The Socket F is intended for AMD server CPU, the Opteron. They're available as quad cores (max 2.6GHz) so we're talking about a 32 cores computer !!!

The tech specs from Tyan are of course available online : ::Tyan Computer Corporation:: System Boards SKU detail

Just a thought : some of you, fellow readers, may be sceptical about the bang-for-the-buck ratio. Of course one can achieve a cheaper solution with 8 regular PC, using regular quad cores CPUs. But my solution is way coooooooler

The AMD 2.6 GHz Opteron (reference is 8382) comes without any radiator or fan. No problem, the Tyan barebone comes with 8 radiators.

Now, let's add some parts to build a complete PC. As I'm a french guy, I will give you prices in €uros, and prices available in France as of writing. I think you'll be able to find some discount offers, but don't expect too much on such a specialized solution !

Here are the parts we need to add, with respective prices :

Case : 4000.00€ with all features described above.

CPUs : we already talked about them. 8 Opteron 8382, 1200€ piece. So it's 9600€ for 32 cores at 2.6GHz, or 83.2GHz. That's about 115€ per GHz per core, where a standard Intel Core i5 (183€ for 4 cores at 2.66GHz) is at about 17€ per GHz per core and a server-oriented Intel Xeon 5355 (760€ for 4 cores at 2.66GHz) is at about 71€ per GHz per core.

HDD : we're talking about a high-end machine, let's use some high-end components :

For OS, let's use some SSD : they're damn fast and easy to use as a regular 3.5" SATA harddrive. OCZ has a 250MB per second product (250MBps for reading, 250MBps for writing) which cames in a 250GB flavour, the Colossus Cascade Series. We'll use 2 of them in RAID-1 (to assure some redundancy) so it will cost 2x 790€.
For data storage, let's use some high capacity HDD : I selected the Western Digital RE4-GP IntelliPower because 2TB is good and 64 Mo of cache are excellent for performance. 6 of them, 285€ piece : 1710€ for a raw 12TB storage : .13 € per gigabyte.
RAM : here's come an interesting part. Each RAM slot of the case can handle a 8GB stick. But we're talking about 4 slots per CPU, so it means there is 32 slots for a maximum capacity of 256GB ! We need to use DDR2 ECC Registered RAM, at 667MHz max. I selected the kit by Crucial : 16GB per kit (2 sticks of 8GB) with low latency (CL5) for 825€. That means, we'll need to "buy" 16 kits to fill all our slots : 13200€ for our 256GB.

Video adapter : the Tyan barebone comes with a really low-end integrated video card, just to offer a 2D display for a server use. For our CG needs, we'll choose a high-end professionnal solution by NVidia, the Quadro FX 5800. It's about 3200€ and it kick ass for CG !

Display : with such a high-end solution, no other choices than a couple of 30" LCD display. We'll not discuss a choice of brand and model today, about 1500€ each.

Other parts : there is not too much to add, now. Just a Blu-ray writer, to do some backups. It costs about 170€ (LG BH08LS20) which is quite cheap compared to our previous parts

We're done with selecting parts : total bill is about 36500€. Here's the shopping cart at the french online dealer : LDLC.com - Contenu de votre panier

hanging dream pa lang muna matagal pa naman bago ma obsolete tong i7 thumbsup

artedesenyo
CGP Apprentice
CGP Apprentice

Number of posts : 477
Registration date : 05/11/2008

http://www.colosomichael.com

Back to top Go down

the dream machine!!! - Page 2 Empty Re: the dream machine!!!

Post by pedio84 Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:30 am

lupit talaga, hanggang panaginip ko nlng din to.siguro pag nag retire na ako sa trabaho saka na ako makakabili nyan mg age of 60 lol!
pedio84
pedio84
CGP Guru
CGP Guru

Number of posts : 1421
Registration date : 09/11/2008

Back to top Go down

the dream machine!!! - Page 2 Empty Re: the dream machine!!!

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum