Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chromatic Aberration in Vray - Help

+3
v_wrangler
pixelburn
chobs
7 posters

:: General :: Help Line

Go down

Chromatic Aberration in Vray - Help Empty Chromatic Aberration in Vray - Help

Post by chobs Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:52 am

Hello to all. I've seen a couple of renders in this site and others that have a chromatic aberration effect on their exterior renders especially when the light (VraySun I assume) is back lit. How can this be possible? I searched my Max 2009 Vray 1.50 SP3 for this function and I can't find any. Will it happen when I apply DOF? Can't seem to see any article writing about this. Please help guys. Thanks
chobs
chobs
CGP Apprentice
CGP Apprentice

Number of posts : 256
Registration date : 30/09/2009

http://www.jhanphillipco.tk

Back to top Go down

Chromatic Aberration in Vray - Help Empty Re: Chromatic Aberration in Vray - Help

Post by pixelburn Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:04 am

usually ung iba sir sa post compositing na lang ito ginagawa.. kung nde ako nagkakamali, ang photoshop ay meron nito.ang lightroom din meron din ata...
pixelburn
pixelburn
CGP Guru
CGP Guru

Number of posts : 1436
Registration date : 09/04/2009

Back to top Go down

Chromatic Aberration in Vray - Help Empty Re: Chromatic Aberration in Vray - Help

Post by v_wrangler Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:05 am

ITs a post effect. Like nudging your red channels a few pix left/up. It's not a vray feature or anything.
v_wrangler
v_wrangler
CGP Loverboy
CGP Loverboy

Number of posts : 1994
Registration date : 29/03/2009

http://www.maxworksdigital.com

Back to top Go down

Post by chobs Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:16 am

Thanks for the reply. I saw a work in Evermotion that has the effect and people commented that is done not in post process. If it's not in Vray, is there any 3rd party plugin for this? I might be wrong also with my assumption or the information that I got.
chobs
chobs
CGP Apprentice
CGP Apprentice

Back to top Go down

Post by v_wrangler Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:04 am

Perhaps you were referring to MR. It can be done via the mia shaders (bokehs) in MR straight out of the render pan. But not vray - even if it can be, you'd rather do that in post for control...
v_wrangler
v_wrangler
CGP Loverboy
CGP Loverboy

Back to top Go down

Post by bokkins Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:59 am

I presumed it will take a lot of time to render. Kaya forget about vray when it comes to chromatic aberration.

Try this instead.

Photoshop>Filter>Distort>Lens Correction>Chromatic Aberration> move the fixed red to the left and there you go, Chromatic Aberration in an instant. Good luck! Smile
bokkins
bokkins
Special Ops
Special Ops

Number of posts : 10369
Registration date : 18/09/2008

Http://bokkins3d.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by mokong Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:14 am

bokkins wrote:I presumed it will take a lot of time to render. Kaya forget about vray when it comes to chromatic aberration.

Try this instead.

Photoshop>Filter>Distort>Lens Correction>Chromatic Aberration> move the fixed red to the left and there you go, Chromatic Aberration in an instant. Good luck! Smile

ano version ng Photoshop yan sir boks? wala kasi dito sa PS ko..
mokong
mokong
CGP Guru
CGP Guru

Number of posts : 1926
Registration date : 02/03/2009

Back to top Go down

Post by bokkins Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:05 am

adobe photoshop cs2 up yata bro. Smile
bokkins
bokkins
Special Ops
Special Ops

Back to top Go down

Post by mokong Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:45 am

kaya pala wala dito bro.. hehehe.. luma na kasi PS dito.. Very Happy
mokong
mokong
CGP Guru
CGP Guru

Number of posts : 1926
Registration date : 02/03/2009

Back to top Go down

Post by chobs Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:45 pm

Oh ic. Maybe it is MR. It would have been nice if Vray has it's feature also since they already incorporated DOF. I had the same question before about the GLARE that can be produced but I guess it is not included in Vray. Thanks for the enlightenment. I guess I'll use PS for the Chromatic Aberration. On the side note, it may be a flaw in Photography but this flaw also add realism in 3D that's I got curious about it. Thanks to all the reply again. Mabuhay ang CGP!
chobs
chobs
CGP Apprentice
CGP Apprentice

Back to top Go down

Post by ArchiNox Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:54 am

Mga masters, whats the effect of Chromatic Aberration by the way? Rolling Eyes
ArchiNox
ArchiNox
CGP Newbie
CGP Newbie

Number of posts : 116
Registration date : 31/10/2009

Back to top Go down

Post by v_wrangler Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:08 am

Rendermaster used to say, google it.

Chromatic Aberration in Vray - Help Chromatic_aberration_%28comparison%29
v_wrangler
v_wrangler
CGP Loverboy
CGP Loverboy

Back to top Go down

Post by ArchiNox Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:43 am

Thanks Sir v_wrangler. Mas ok kase mangaling ang info sa mga masters mismo para mahaluan ng sariling insights unlike the textbook explanation on the web. Very Happy
So how will this effect enhance one's output? Question
ArchiNox
ArchiNox
CGP Newbie
CGP Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by bokkins Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:59 am

ArchiNox wrote:Thanks Sir v_wrangler. Mas ok kase mangaling ang info sa mga masters mismo para mahaluan ng sariling insights unlike the textbook explanation on the web. Very Happy
So how will this effect enhance one's output? Question

try mo lang igoogle, mas master pa ang mga nageexplain dun.

anyway, chromatic aberration has always been an issue before, lalo na sa photography, kasi nasisira nya ang photos in terms of clarity. Parang sumasabog ang kulay sa mga edges ng image. Pro dahil ito ay isang effect na parang nakasanayan na. Ang pagincorprate nito sa 3d adds flaw to the picture, hence making it more realistic. Kaya nauuso na din kasi artistic ang dating pag may ganito ang isang 3d image.

Ito ang definition nyan galing sa net >>> http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/Glossary/Optical/chromatic_aberration_01.htm
Chromatic aberration or "color fringing" is caused by the camera lens not focusing different wavelengths of light onto the exact same focal plane (the focal length for different wavelengths is different) and/or by the lens magnifying different wavelengths differently. These types of chromatic aberration are referred to as "Longitudinal Chromatic Aberration" and "Lateral Chromatic Aberration" respectively and can occur concurrently. The amount of chromatic aberration depends on the dispersion of the glass.
bokkins
bokkins
Special Ops
Special Ops

Back to top Go down

Post by v_wrangler Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:10 am

So how will this effect enhance one's output?

It does not. It breaks them actually Smile

But you must be wondering, if it breaks 'em, why use 'em?

Photographic phenomenon, lens distortions, abberations, flares, and all that soup gets mimicked in cg because the people who would be viewing them (specially those who have nothing to do with the cg profession) are used to seeing them in photographs, in film or in any medium that reflects reality. And as a look designer, if you are able to convince or confuse the viewers into believing that the synthethic images they see behave like the ones in real movies or the photos then you have done the job halfway already!

While it can add spice to your synthethic images ( cg) , an overdose of all these sahogs can also make the rendering look bland or OA or trying hard, second-rate copycat ala cherie gil.

So like a good cook, use them with caution, do not overdo them.

In vfx or cg - it is commonly used as a fast paced approach to blend/hide or camouflage cgi to backgrounds or footages that already have them by nature. By doing so - one is sort of able to hide the deficiencies or the artificial qualities or images that have been crafted using a computer.
v_wrangler
v_wrangler
CGP Loverboy
CGP Loverboy

Back to top Go down

Post by chobs Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:23 am

Very well said by Bokkins and Vertex.

Chromatic Aberration is also very evident when a subject is backlit causing the background to be over exposed then the edges of the subject will have this effect.

Thanks for all the reply btw
chobs
chobs
CGP Apprentice
CGP Apprentice

Back to top Go down

Post by ArchiNox Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:33 am

v_wrangler wrote:
So how will this effect enhance one's output?

It does not. It breaks them actually Smile

But you must be wondering, if it breaks 'em, why use 'em?

Photographic phenomenon, lens distortions, abberations, flares, and all that soup gets mimicked in cg because the people who would be viewing them (specially those who have nothing to do with the cg profession) are used to seeing them in photographs, in film or in any medium that reflects reality. And as a look designer, if you are able to convince or confuse the viewers into believing that the synthethic images they see behave like the ones in real movies or the photos then you have done the job halfway already!

While it can add spice to your synthethic images ( cg) , an overdose of all these sahogs can also make the rendering look bland or OA or trying hard, second-rate copycat ala cherie gil.

So like a good cook, use them with caution, do not overdo them.

In vfx or cg - it is commonly used as a fast paced approach to blend/hide or camouflage cgi to backgrounds or footages that already have them by nature. By doing so - one is sort of able to hide the deficiencies or the artificial qualities or images that have been crafted using a computer.

Thanks mga masters! now i know... thumbsup
ArchiNox
ArchiNox
CGP Newbie
CGP Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by A.K.A. Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:57 pm

sa pagkakaalam ko eto ung pilit na iniiwasan ng nakararami kung photography ang usapan pero sa CG click na click eto. weird but true.
A.K.A.
A.K.A.
CGP Apprentice
CGP Apprentice

Number of posts : 350
Registration date : 25/10/2009

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down