Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Passion for photography, a key to produce better renderings?

+10
jhames joe albert infante
bokkins
nomeradona
v_wrangler
ishae_clanx
3DZONE
pakunat
kurdaps!
jenaro
lioness
14 posters

Go down

Passion for photography, a key to produce better renderings? Empty Passion for photography, a key to produce better renderings?

Post by lioness Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:09 am

Dear Sirs & Ma'ams,

I've been rendering using Vray for 1 1/2 year now & I've noticed that to have a beautiful & dramatic outcome in rendering, you must also have a knowledge & passion for photography which I lack right now. I always say, "basta model lang ng model", because I focus more on modeling certain objects & putting nice & seamless textures in it, but sometimes these efforts are not visible because of bad lighting or cluttered scenes. I don't have an eye for photography, or let's say, I don't know how to put the camera at the right angle & the proper light effects which to achieve this, I edit a lot in photoshop or chamba lang minsan pag maganda ang result. But to make a consistent outcome, what are the photography tips that you can share in order for me to have a better photo/renderings?

here's a sample of my rendering.. pls, comment according to your photography knowledge & views.. thank you..
Passion for photography, a key to produce better renderings? Balmoral_outside_toilet

Last edited by lioness on Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:44 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : typographical error)
lioness
lioness
CGP Newbie
CGP Newbie

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 12/11/2008

Back to top Go down

Passion for photography, a key to produce better renderings? Empty Re: Passion for photography, a key to produce better renderings?

Post by jenaro Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:36 am

pede maging advantage as a photographer...proper knowledge,and constant practice imho you need in order to have it.you dont need to become a photographer just to have an eye.
jenaro
jenaro
Peter Pran
Peter Pran

Number of posts : 3132
Registration date : 22/01/2009

Back to top Go down

Passion for photography, a key to produce better renderings? Empty Re: Passion for photography, a key to produce better renderings?

Post by kurdaps! Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:38 am

Nice rendering...

Why don't you post in in Architectural Gallery to be commented?

Welcome to CGP.... Smile
kurdaps!
kurdaps!
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Number of posts : 5060
Registration date : 18/09/2008

http://www.sherwinboston.com

Back to top Go down

Post by lioness Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:51 am

jenaro wrote:pede maging advantage as a photographer...proper knowledge,and constant practice imho you need in order to have it.you dont need to become a photographer just to have an eye.

un po lacking ko ryt now.."the eye for photography".. in my case, I really like to enroll in a photography class pero dahil s hectic sked s work mukhang msasayang lng.. tips sir?
lioness
lioness
CGP Newbie
CGP Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by pakunat Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:52 am

hahaha kilala ko itong plan na ito. sa balmoral ba ito. hihihihi

hmmm ok naman ung rendering. nito

cguro yung intensity ng ilaw pag sa photo mas more sya kaysa sa nakikita ng mata mo.

para sa akin ndi mo kailangan na my passion ka sa photography para makaachieve ng magandang rendering.

its how you see things and how do you feel about your work. cguro expand na lang ng ibang masters dito.
pakunat
pakunat
CGP Expert
CGP Expert

Number of posts : 3866
Registration date : 23/09/2008

http://www.3dppakunat.multiply.com

Back to top Go down

Post by 3DZONE Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:57 am

I like this post, its true...but in some how may pagkakaiba yung dalawa, sa photography, kailangan mo ng magandang lights, proper timing, good location, choosing the right moods & climate and most important thing maganda ang camera mo...while in 3D Rendering, you can control whatever you want from modeling, lights, camera, moods, effects etc...till the final presentation....pero nagkakapareho sila kung paano ka mag-compose ng isang subject because you are the one who will conceptualize being an artist. Very Happy
3DZONE
3DZONE
Cube Spinner
Cube Spinner

Number of posts : 3834
Registration date : 20/12/2008

Back to top Go down

Post by ishae_clanx Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:20 am

hhhhhmmmm ako confuse ako with this relationship.....why is it pag ang isang tao is into architecture or 3d modeling they often tend to be attracted to photography?
I myself is into architectecture and modeling and sometimes i also want to study photography? bat kaya?
ishae_clanx
ishae_clanx
CGP Guru
CGP Guru

Number of posts : 1266
Registration date : 18/03/2009

Back to top Go down

Post by pakunat Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:49 am

kasi sir photography is like an art. kagaya nating mga artist photography is one of our favorite. OT
pakunat
pakunat
CGP Expert
CGP Expert

Number of posts : 3866
Registration date : 23/09/2008

http://www.3dppakunat.multiply.com

Back to top Go down

Post by v_wrangler Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:08 pm

Photography and CG well they co-relate but it doesn't mean you need to be an expert in one to be good in the other.

It all boils down to how you would want to use the discipline. If you want to capture the moment as it happens or about to unfold - then shoot it. But if you want to visualize something that isn't there - you end up with cg.

To be honest - I am not a fan of cg'ing something that is present - specially if realism is the goal. Because you'd rather shoot it with a camera - I'm sure it will be photoreal 100 percent.

They complement each other because CG can expand the single photograph. In the same way photographs (like your textures) can do wonders to your renderings.

One thing common with the two along with painting is composition - Composition is not beholden to just CG because composition is about beauty and what's pleasing to the eye. If you can arrange your elements whether that be CG or real-life with sense of direction, focus and flow - then you can also do that in any other discipline.

The key is observation, look at how light paint the colors around you, how dirt and ramdomness play in real-life objects. You can capture that moment for referencing in CG later with your camera. But it does help to train your eye, input them to memory so that you can use the same in your works as a cg artists or as a photographer.

To answer the original question - yes it does help to know a bit about photography but it does not mean you cannot do good cg without it.
v_wrangler
v_wrangler
CGP Loverboy
CGP Loverboy

Number of posts : 1994
Registration date : 29/03/2009

http://www.maxworksdigital.com

Back to top Go down

Post by nomeradona Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:10 pm

i guess may relation.. di ba kapag nagpapapraktis tayong magrender, magazines are always one of our resources.. how photographers, set up their cameras.. use lights etc. ang dami ring nakita ko na they use a photograph image.. nainspire, tapos model at render..

ngayon para sa akin pareho lang at complet sila kakaiba nga lang ng media. pero dahil nga parang parallel sila with each other hindi mo maiwasan na ang mga renderer ay kakambal na ang pagkagusto sa photography. kasi there are times talaga na what you could capture in photograph is what you want to explore in your render. so in that case talaga advisable na kung gusto mong magrender, use photograph to analyse things. This is really a good way of learning. But again you dont need to be an expert in photography... just use it as a tool.
nomeradona
nomeradona
SketchUp Guru
SketchUp Guru

Number of posts : 7293
Registration date : 22/09/2008

https://sites.google.com/site/nomeradona3d/

Back to top Go down

Post by bokkins Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:51 pm

Photography man or CG, my only suggestion in order to get that perfect shot is focus/focal point/subject.

Learn to let go of the other elements leaving that one beautiful thing standout.

Best but cruel example is isang magandang babae with her 4 ugly friends. that's a very good composition for me compared to 5 pretty girls in one picture.
bokkins
bokkins
Special Ops
Special Ops

Number of posts : 10369
Registration date : 18/09/2008

Http://bokkins3d.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by jhames joe albert infante Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:53 pm

nomeradona wrote:i guess may relation.. di ba kapag nagpapapraktis tayong magrender, magazines are always one of our resources.. how photographers, set up their cameras.. use lights etc. ang dami ring nakita ko na they use a photograph image.. nainspire, tapos model at render..

ngayon para sa akin pareho lang at complet sila kakaiba nga lang ng media. pero dahil nga parang parallel sila with each other hindi mo maiwasan na ang mga renderer ay kakambal na ang pagkagusto sa photography. kasi there are times talaga na what you could capture in photograph is what you want to explore in your render. so in that case talaga advisable na kung gusto mong magrender, use photograph to analyse things. This is really a good way of learning. But again you dont need to be an expert in photography... just use it as a tool.

actually may punto ka sir tunkol sa magazines at irerender,tama na may alam ka sa compositions na ilalagay mo sa scene bago mo ito kunan, example,bakit ka maglalagay ng green apple or vase na kulay green sa scene, may dahilan ang mga yun, isa ay ang makabo ng composition, at xempre dahil narin sa color complementaries.. kaya kapag magrerender tayo, iisipin muna natin kung ano rin ang mga abubot sa scene na makakatulong sa pagbuhay nito..
CGP Expert
CGP Expert

Number of posts : 2733
Registration date : 18/11/2008

Back to top Go down

Post by lioness Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:42 am

v_wrangler wrote:Photography and CG well they co-relate but it doesn't mean you need to be an expert in one to be good in the other.

It all boils down to how you would want to use the discipline. If you want to capture the moment as it happens or about to unfold - then shoot it. But if you want to visualize something that isn't there - you end up with cg.

To be honest - I am not a fan of cg'ing something that is present - specially if realism is the goal. Because you'd rather shoot it with a camera - I'm sure it will be photoreal 100 percent.

They complement each other because CG can expand the single photograph. In the same way photographs (like your textures) can do wonders to your renderings.

One thing common with the two along with painting is composition - Composition is not beholden to just CG because composition is about beauty and what's pleasing to the eye. If you can arrange your elements whether that be CG or real-life with sense of direction, focus and flow - then you can also do that in any other discipline.

The key is observation, look at how light paint the colors around you, how dirt and ramdomness play in real-life objects. You can capture that moment for referencing in CG later with your camera. But it does help to train your eye, input them to memory so that you can use the same in your works as a cg artists or as a photographer.

To answer the original question - yes it does help to know a bit about photography but it does not mean you cannot do good cg without it.

Thank you sir.. observation.. i'll keep that in mind..
lioness
lioness
CGP Newbie
CGP Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by lioness Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:44 am

bokkins wrote:Photography man or CG, my only suggestion in order to get that perfect shot is focus/focal point/subject.

Learn to let go of the other elements leaving that one beautiful thing standout.

Best but cruel example is isang magandang babae with her 4 ugly friends. that's a very good composition for me compared to 5 pretty girls in one picture.

magandang sample nga yan sir.. tnx a lot... focal point..
lioness
lioness
CGP Newbie
CGP Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by lioness Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:48 am

pakunat wrote:hahaha kilala ko itong plan na ito. sa balmoral ba ito. hihihihi

hmmm ok naman ung rendering. nito

cguro yung intensity ng ilaw pag sa photo mas more sya kaysa sa nakikita ng mata mo.

para sa akin ndi mo kailangan na my passion ka sa photography para makaachieve ng magandang rendering.

its how you see things and how do you feel about your work. cguro expand na lang ng ibang masters dito.

alm ko nmn n mppacn mo hehe..kc sabi ni zac mglagay dw me ng sample render..e yan ung gingawa ko nw.. anyways, kelangan ko p nga cguro mg-observe..puro kc koreanobela inaa2pag ko e..
lioness
lioness
CGP Newbie
CGP Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by ishae_clanx Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:15 am

hehehhehe mukhang nagspark ng discussion yung reply ko ha...
For me i think they really have this relationship directly or indirectly....because whether painting or photograpy or rendering pa man yan they all both trying to capture or depict that unique and beautiful moment....
I think yun ang meron thats why they compliment with one another... thumbsup
ishae_clanx
ishae_clanx
CGP Guru
CGP Guru

Number of posts : 1266
Registration date : 18/03/2009

Back to top Go down

Post by AJ Cortez Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:13 am

I agree, you’re getting a lot of great advice from the members, architectural photography and architectural visualization are both related; it’s all about being able to capture the spirit of the space. We can learn a lot from looking at the iconic photographers like Julius Shulman (who just recently passed), Hedrich Blessing, Chuck Choi (I have to give him props because I see him every morning at the dog park, not to mention we use him for shooting a lot of our work : ), etc…These are all talented photographers that are able to see a space and capture it in all its glory. There’s basic principles that we can all follow, like the many rules of composition, seeing correct linear perspective, keeping your verticals straight and being able to place people correctly in the scene. We should also be looking at our virtual spaces as if we had a camera in our hands, in our case it’s our virtual cam. We have the advantage of being able to tweak the time of day, set up our own lights, and walk around the scene just as if we were there in real life.

If you have an opportunity to take photography classes, I definitely recommend it…you can learn things like setting the right exposure and aperture controls on a physical camera that you can apply to your mr/vray cameras as well. You can learn how photographers add rim lights to accent particular furniture or a wall washing light to separate background and foreground elements. Etc…etc…there’s so much to learn Smile

From what I see in your post, it looks like you’ve got a pretty good handle on the basics. The only thing I can see that’s not correct is the background image that you’re using; the perspective doesn’t match the interior. But I do like the mix of cool natural lighting and warm fluorescent in the interior. Keep it up! Oh yeah, and welcome to CGP Smile inuman na
AJ Cortez
AJ Cortez
CGP Apprentice
CGP Apprentice

Number of posts : 342
Registration date : 30/12/2008

http://www.3d-mg.com

Back to top Go down

Post by logikpixel Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:23 am

v_wrangler wrote:
The key is observation, look at how light paint the colors around you, how dirt and ramdomness play in real-life objects....

AMEN! Observation.

nomeradona wrote:.., use photograph to analyse things. This is really a good way of learning. But again you dont need to be an expert in photography... just use it as a tool.

Hallelujah! Analyse things - see how the real world and how things interact.

Smile
logikpixel
logikpixel
CGP Apprentice
CGP Apprentice

Number of posts : 818
Registration date : 09/03/2009

http://selectiveblur.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by celes Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:32 pm

the fact that every 3d program has CAMERAS and LIGHTS already means that you are somehow creating your own PHOTOGRAPH. Be it an architectural piece or a graphic subject.

master montree attests to this. long before there was Vray he was able to achieve a "photographic" set of renders based on scanline alone because he admitted to relying on photos as references.

that being said.. i will raise a point on DOFs. if one observes architectural presentations DOF is rarely used. why? this is because design is always the highlight of architectural visualization. and design relies heavily on details. this is why every architect or interior designer client will not entertain any renderings with heavy DOFs. unless you are into a cinematic effect, then yes by all means blur your secondary elements to infinity. our hired photographers don't usually go below an aperture of 5.6 when taking finished projects (from our previous design company). in photography parlance this translates to sharp pictures.

to me the basis for judging a good render relies heavily on camera placement and lighting. a good 3d artist knows exactly these basic principles. so much so how a good photographer chooses where to focus/position his camera (and to a certain extent, cropping) and capture the right lighting condition - not by merely cleaning up the photos noise-free and applying all those lightroom tricks. a good framing and a good light setup will always save a poor model.. but more often than not the reverse doesnt hold true. IMHO.
celes
celes
Pogi
Pogi

Number of posts : 2958
Registration date : 25/11/2008

Back to top Go down

Post by tutik Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:36 am

here's to add, i can't disagree to almost all that had been said already:

the best skill we can derive from photography is 'visualization' -- developing that eye for composition. establishing the conceptual picture before all things are executed be it in design or 3d.
tutik
tutik
The Spy
The Spy

Number of posts : 1715
Registration date : 01/10/2008

Back to top Go down

Post by nomeradona Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:56 pm

bokkins wrote:Photography man or CG, my only suggestion in order to get that perfect shot is focus/focal point/subject.

hahahaha....
nomeradona
nomeradona
SketchUp Guru
SketchUp Guru

Number of posts : 7293
Registration date : 22/09/2008

https://sites.google.com/site/nomeradona3d/

Back to top Go down

Post by lioness Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:38 am

mushroom wrote:to me the basis for judging a good render relies heavily on camera placement and lighting. a good 3d artist knows exactly these basic principles. so much so how a good photographer chooses where to focus/position his camera (and to a certain extent, cropping) and capture the right lighting condition - not by merely cleaning up the photos noise-free and applying all those lightroom tricks. a good framing and a good light setup will always save a poor model.. but more often than not the reverse doesnt hold true. IMHO.

e2 nga po mga factors n dapat ko i-consider..tnx po..
lioness
lioness
CGP Newbie
CGP Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by lioness Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:46 am

AJ Cortez wrote:We can learn a lot from looking at the iconic photographers like Julius Shulman (who just recently passed), Hedrich Blessing, Chuck Choi (I have to give him props because I see him every morning at the dog park, not to mention we use him for shooting a lot of our work : ), etc…

If you have an opportunity to take photography classes, I definitely recommend it…you can learn things like setting the right exposure and aperture controls on a physical camera that you can apply to your mr/vray cameras as well. You can learn how photographers add rim lights to accent particular furniture or a wall washing light to separate background and foreground elements. Etc…etc…there’s so much to learn Smile

From what I see in your post, it looks like you’ve got a pretty good handle on the basics. The only thing I can see that’s not correct is the background image that you’re using; the perspective doesn’t match the interior. But I do like the mix of cool natural lighting and warm fluorescent in the interior. Keep it up! Oh yeah, and welcome to CGP Smile inuman na

astig nyo nmn po.. anyways,i wish there will come a time that i can really take photography lessons & squeeze it on my hectic work schedule..but for now, maybe i can also take your advice by observing the works of those iconic photographers you mentioned.. tnx sir
lioness
lioness
CGP Newbie
CGP Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down