Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anong say mu sa watchmen?

+5
darwinzzkie
dpyxl
jenaro
kurdaps!
eyecon01
9 posters

:: General :: Tambayan

Go down

Anong say mu sa watchmen? Empty Anong say mu sa watchmen?

Post by eyecon01 Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:38 am

Here is my point in a nutshell:

Before anything else I would like to emphasize that I liked the film. It may not be one of my favorites but I like it nonetheless. For a lot of reasons and most of them due to the fact that Zack Snyder (director of 300) has been quite faithful to the characters, the scenes and the overall look of the film. I've waited eagerly for this film and in one way or the other, the fanboy in me was treated with a good film from an excellent storyline.

Now whats my point you may ask? My point is simple. Even with all the depth and the excellent script and lines the movie has to offer (thanks to Alan Moore) the movie somehow felt shallow. I'm not saying this since I like the comics, I'm saying this based on a point of view of a normal person watching a film who neither is a comic book fan nor a movie critic. To re-iterate here are my 4 points.

1. The heavy storyline driven by an astounding backtracking of each characters past is flown through a numerous take of flashbacks that without prior knowledge of the comic book, one might get confused. At the same time, the richness of each character was lost with the exception of Dr. Manhattan, due the reason that they don't have the luxury of time to tell each one's story.

2. I admire Zack's choice of actors, I'm just doubtful though if he can really direct his actors well. The men on the movie were top notch and two thumbs, the women however were surprisingly forgettable. One scene with Silk Spectre and Dr. Manhattan in mars could have been the films climax and emotional pivot yet Malin (Silk Spectre) lacked the talent to show the intensity of it. The mother somehow felt a little shallow too. I wish she could have placed a much more engaging acting in the little part she was given.

3. The ending was good, better than the comic book yet for me not very acceptable. I won't dwell to much on the story but I felt that the way they portrayed Ozymandias and Dr. Manhattan was way off. If one was to read the comic, one would know and undoubtedly (yet regrettably) be torn between agreeing or disagreeing with Veidts decision. I expected something better actually though the story in the film was going the right direction, it just veered way too off course.

4. This is not for kids, its very mature that is a fact, but the Dr. Manhattans ........ always there was too much! Yes its like the comic book but thats one detail we can do without with, common!

I've heard from a review site that Zack was planning to come out with a DVD that has an added 40 minutes of the whole film. They said that it night iclude a few parts that could have been useful and could have made the movie much better. I'll eagerly wait for that one and I hope that will make the movie more viewer friendly.

Again, I'm not saying I don't like the film. I like it but the thing is, its not as good as I imagined it would be. As engaging as the movie was, it only became worthwhile since I already had the idea behind each scene and knew most of the script. If I didn't have that knowledge would I still like the movie? Maybe... maybe not.

So if your deciding to watch the film, just be prepared for some elaborate narratives that might be as much as a challenge as comprehending the whole film itself. I suggest read the Comic book first!
eyecon01
eyecon01
CGP MatPinter
CGP MatPinter

Number of posts : 657
Registration date : 26/12/2008

http://ericdmatte.com

Back to top Go down

Anong say mu sa watchmen? Empty Re: Anong say mu sa watchmen?

Post by kurdaps! Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:45 am

After this thread, I find the movie intriguing... Surprised. It is showing here now and I hope I have the chance to watch it.

kurdaps!
kurdaps!
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Number of posts : 5060
Registration date : 18/09/2008

http://www.sherwinboston.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jenaro Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:53 am

ok naman ung movie...kaso lang di maganda ung flow ng scene...bilib ako sa director nun kasi sya din ung director sa 300 pero di ko talaga nagustuhan...if wala kang alam sa background ng dc comics na ito eh di mo sya maapreciate for sure...maganda sa comics ito pero sa movie...i dont think...di lang maganda pagkadeliver ng movie...kawawa nga mga local dito eh...mas lalong di nila naintindihan...nyahahhahahha
jenaro
jenaro
Peter Pran
Peter Pran

Number of posts : 3132
Registration date : 22/01/2009

Back to top Go down

Post by dpyxl Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:18 am

for those who expect a typical superhero movie with wow-action scene and fireworks blockbuster, this movie is not for you.. piece of advice ko before you watch this movie, research the plot or read the comicbook muna, medyo unexpected yung ending..

haven't seen the movie yet, but i love the comics, even the Black Freighter.. im eyeing the tale of Dr. Manhattan and Rorschach how will it goes.. si Adrian Veidt/Ozymandias lang gripe ko, dapat medyo alpha-male yung aura, sa movie kasi medyo skinny yung nag portray... mukhang white and nerdy.

and madaming "happy time" si Specter dito, for sure matutuwa tayong lahat Smile

Last edited by dpyxl on Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:42 am; edited 1 time in total

dpyxl
CGP Apprentice
CGP Apprentice

Number of posts : 577
Registration date : 16/10/2008

Back to top Go down

Post by darwinzzkie Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:32 am

haven't watched it yet. Very Happy
darwinzzkie
darwinzzkie
Guwapingz
Guwapingz

Number of posts : 649
Registration date : 18/02/2009

Back to top Go down

Post by eyecon01 Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:51 am

Yep.. This is not your typical spider man movie, its even darker than the dark knight. I did hope na sana na capture nila yung comics, kaso as expected medyo sablay, okey lng si Rorchach and si Dr. Manhattan
eyecon01
eyecon01
CGP MatPinter
CGP MatPinter

Number of posts : 657
Registration date : 26/12/2008

http://ericdmatte.com

Back to top Go down

Post by wireframan Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:58 am

Sablay nga...D nagustuhan ng wife ko..pero ok lang not bad..Pero destructed lang ako sa junior ni Dr. Manhattan! hahhaha
wireframan
wireframan
CGP Apprentice
CGP Apprentice

Number of posts : 444
Registration date : 26/01/2009

Back to top Go down

Post by kyofuu Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:37 am

wireframan wrote:Sablay nga...D nagustuhan ng wife ko..pero ok lang not bad..Pero destructed lang ako sa junior ni Dr. Manhattan! hahhaha

napanuod ko knina.. tama kayo sir nakaka -destruct yung junior ni Dr. Manhattan! hahahaha, mejo mgulo lang lalo na sa kagaya ko na di alam ung comics, pero i like Patrick Wilson as Daniel Dreiberg / Nite Owl II and Jackie Earle Haley as Walter Kovacs /Rorschach
kyofuu
kyofuu
CGP Apprentice
CGP Apprentice

Number of posts : 251
Registration date : 16/02/2009

Back to top Go down

Post by vasQ Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:32 am

I watched it with my fiancee and though she didn't really tell me she didn't like it, hearing her snore at the middle of the movie kinda gave me a hint she thought it was a bore.. hehehe.. I'm a big fan of the comic book and of Alan Moore in general and I think Zack Snyder did a decent job. But I was really expecting more, like how the comic book totally inspired me creatively. I wonder if Alan Moore took a peek at it since he didn't want anything to do with the movie, just like V For Vendetta.
vasQ
vasQ
CGP Newbie
CGP Newbie

Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 05/11/2008

Back to top Go down

Post by SunDance Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:05 pm

i'm not a big DC comics fan (more on marvel) but i like the packaging of this movie, and yeh it's a dark one. i'm sure i'm gonna like this movie w/o prior knowledge of it's comics story line (coz its a dark one). i already did a research of the characters. i think this movie is not created for mainstream movie goers that's why i'm gonna like it.
SunDance
SunDance
The Scavenger
The Scavenger

Number of posts : 1152
Registration date : 23/09/2008

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down