Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thesis Proposal

+2
bokkins
riesenchance
6 posters

Go down

Thesis Proposal Empty Thesis Proposal

Post by riesenchance Tue May 08, 2012 12:46 am

Hello! I really need some advice regarding my thesis proposal. It's a regional public library. Its focus is on reinventing the library into a large collaborative resource center to be located strategically at the heart of Metro Manila- the education capital of the Philippines. It will directly tackle the challenges and opportunities conferred by the dynamic nature of digital media.The library shall have a more modernized approach as an educational and social facility. It will emphasize its main feature- the digital experience. Some of the facilities: youth training facility, collab spaces for professionals, study gardens, deaf-blind info center, e-reading zones, multimedia center, digital learning classrooms, and if possible, a commercial zone.

These are the major concerns:

1. The funding, of course, is of huge concern since this a government project.

These are the options:
a. National Library in cooperation with LGUs
It may be possible due to the National Development for Public Libraries that the National Lib is planning.

b.Another option is, as my adviser suggested, to have NGOs fund it with the government to back it up(though I'm not sure if it's possible).

c. Is the Build-Operate-Transfer system applicable here? Since I'm thinking of integrating commercial spaces in it, will that be enough for those in the private sector to invest in it?

2. Is it possible/legal to put commercial spaces in/adjacent to it? I'm aiming to have this as a hangout place for the youth so might as well put some. It can lure people into the library. It's sort-of convenient, I think. Most people go to bookstores(reading without buying)after shopping or buy a book then read it at a cafe. I'm just not sure about the legal works. I've read something about the endorsement of products/companies/services are prohibited but I've seen other libraries do so. Can this also contribute to operational costs?

Sorry, it got a bit lengthy. I know this is a make-or-break project. Let me know if it's such a bad idea to go on with this. Suggestions are very much appreciated! Very Happy

riesenchance

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 07/05/2012

Back to top Go down

Thesis Proposal Empty Re: Thesis Proposal

Post by bokkins Tue May 08, 2012 7:27 am

The idea is very good. however, you have to think of its sustainability. Can the government support the library? Will they extend a budget for this?

BOT, Partnership, JICA finance, Private? You have to study the possibilities of these.

Commercial integration. How efficient is this? is this feasible.

How about integrating it with conference halls, auditoriums for symposiums, meeting rooms, conference venues, etc. All these spaces also profit big just like a commercial area. And even better since it is related to the library and can also use it's facilities.

Maybe the commercial area is a support area like a coffee shop, stationary store, bookstore, electronic shop, etc. pwede maintegrate.

security is another factor, you should a bubble diagram of areas that are related and not.

Overall, I think the project is very feasible, you just need to familiarize yourself with all the need information.

Check on public libraries abroad for more info. Good luck!
bokkins
bokkins
Special Ops
Special Ops

Number of posts : 10369
Registration date : 18/09/2008

Http://bokkins3d.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by nomeradona Tue May 08, 2012 10:22 pm

You see bro there are two ways in approaching a proposal.. If you are a dreamer and innovator, and you know in your heart that your project or thesis is necessary funding will never be an issue. Your approach in looking for people who ready to finance is one thing, but most of the time, we forgot that we should be the expert in advising people, kung tayo ang experto yung may pera, yung gobyerno, mga investor, financer sila makikinig sayo.. people will join your dream if they see really the potential, the most important here is how will you convince them... btw reading on your proposal.. i think its great, maybe be the dept of education will adopt it or some of those multi-billionaire whose advocacy is to strengthen the education system....
nomeradona
nomeradona
SketchUp Guru
SketchUp Guru

Number of posts : 7293
Registration date : 22/09/2008

https://sites.google.com/site/nomeradona3d/

Back to top Go down

Post by nomeradona Tue May 08, 2012 10:34 pm

Maiba ako since nabuksan na naman ang topic ng thesis.. Dapat ba ang mga estudyante ay magfocus sa financing aspect feasibility or sa design aspect feasibility. Kasi pansin ko kahit noong ako ay nagaaral, parang tinatakot ang mga estudyante natin kagaya ng nakaugalian tungkol dito (maitatayo ba yan? referring to sinong magiinvest, sino ang magfifinance). Yun tuloy imbis na ibinubuhos mo yung energy mo sa design at architectural matters, nabubuhos sa financial matters... I hope yung mga teachers ay maging practical naman.. Although mahalaga ito, dapat sana ay hindi mafocus dito... para naman yung aalahanin ng mga estudyante ay more on the architectural and space design solution.

Agree ako doon sa feasibility study, pero dapat hindi gaano sa financial study, dapat magfocus sa architectural and design feasibility hindi sa financial feasibility.. I bet kahit yung mga architectural teachers hindi rin alam ito..
nomeradona
nomeradona
SketchUp Guru
SketchUp Guru

Number of posts : 7293
Registration date : 22/09/2008

https://sites.google.com/site/nomeradona3d/

Back to top Go down

Post by badongrodrigs Wed May 09, 2012 8:44 pm

nomeradona wrote:Maiba ako since nabuksan na naman ang topic ng thesis.. Dapat ba ang mga estudyante ay magfocus sa financing aspect feasibility or sa design aspect feasibility. Kasi pansin ko kahit noong ako ay nagaaral, parang tinatakot ang mga estudyante natin kagaya ng nakaugalian tungkol dito (maitatayo ba yan? referring to sinong magiinvest, sino ang magfifinance).

I think thesis proposals usually have different criteria depending on the school in particular. For example, in UST thesis proposals are encouraged to be large scale, innovative, and has a bit of social significance; budget should be one of the last considerations. Even in most starchitecture schools abroad their proposals are some crazy buildings that the first word you'd think of is "ZERG".

I also agree with this concept. For one thing, it is easier to downgrade a superior building rather than to upgrade an inferior building.
badongrodrigs
badongrodrigs
CGP Newbie
CGP Newbie

Number of posts : 120
Registration date : 12/03/2012

http://www.theparadoodler.com

Back to top Go down

Post by whey09 Wed May 09, 2012 9:21 pm

I think dapat sa design aspect sila magconcentrate pero dapat i consider nila ang financial aspect. Kailangan feasible kung baga. Ngayon kasi maraming pwedeng pagkunan ng funds. Kasi kung ang gusto ng mga juror is realistic din ang financial aspect, baka small scale lahat ang thesis proposals.
whey09
whey09
CGP Guru
CGP Guru

Number of posts : 1869
Registration date : 02/10/2008

Back to top Go down

Post by trying hard Wed May 09, 2012 11:43 pm

sa tingin ko ang isang dapat mong malaman ay ang mga dahilan ng mga taong pumupunta pa rin sa library ngayon at ang mga dahilan kung bakit kailangan pa ring pumunta sa library. and then ask yourself if those reasons can still be a consistent necessity until the next 10 years atleast? versus as you have mentioned the dynamic nature of this digital era? if yes, then go for it. but you have to got a dynamic solution also because what you have mentioned above are still basic.
good luck!
trying hard
trying hard
CGP Newbie
CGP Newbie

Number of posts : 108
Registration date : 08/12/2011

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down