Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mental Ray Render Speed Test (Updated with Trial Animation)

+4
edosayla
arkiedmund
v_wrangler
marcelinoiii
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Mental Ray Render Speed Test (Updated with Trial Animation) Empty Mental Ray Render Speed Test (Updated with Trial Animation)

Post by marcelinoiii Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:56 am

Sirs and Masters of MR,

I purposely posted here for a discussion regarding MR render speed.

Lately I rendered this Image 1 below in a low setting at 1200px max size. The render time took more than 8 hours.
Image 1
Mental Ray Render Speed Test (Updated with Trial Animation) Hall2_seat2_lowlightcopy

I couldn't understand why until tonight and made a render of Image 2, the same size at 1200px max in only 50min.
Image 2
Mental Ray Render Speed Test (Updated with Trial Animation) Hall2_seat2_lowlight_NOLIGTHS-copy

If you guys can observe, Image 2 has no physical lights on. No portal light, no free light etc... I only have an MR sun and controlled brightness with MR Photographic exposure. But the output is quite ok... My question to the masters, did I do it right?

Conclusion:
1. In Image 1, I have too many lights and my intensity/multiplier si reaching from 10,000-100,000 which I think is the cause of slow rendering. So we avoid jacking up or lighting our scene this high, and we adjust brightness on exposure instead.

2. In Image 2, due to no-light at all, my exposure turned out to be:
Shutter Speed: 40
Aperture (f-stop): 5
Film Speed (ISO): 100
These setting is beyond normal or far from default which are: 512, 8, 100 respectively.

3. Anyway, my only point here and the mistake I've been doing, don't use too many lights and don't jack it up too high... my bad No

I hope this experiment helps the newbie MR users like me.

Masters and teacher's suggestion and recommendation would be greatly appreciated!

Best Regards to all!!! inuman na

Please check out my first ever attemp on interior animation with max2010 and MR. PLease forgive me with the compressed version as it is my first time to post on vimeo. I'll try to upload higher quality later. Also, pasensyahan niyo na po, this animation is quite short and intended only for MR render speed test. Low MR setting of FG only in total 16 hours of 240 frames at 30fps, approximately took 5 min per frame. I am really hoping for tips and suggestions from the masters.

Hall 2_Animation Trial 1 from Marc Balao on Vimeo.

Last edited by marcelinoiii on Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:30 am; edited 3 times in total
marcelinoiii
marcelinoiii
CGP Guru
CGP Guru

Number of posts : 1125
Registration date : 29/07/2009

Back to top Go down

Mental Ray Render Speed Test (Updated with Trial Animation) Empty Re: Mental Ray Render Speed Test (Updated with Trial Animation)

Post by v_wrangler Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:05 am

I'm not an MR fan as yet and I cannot offer any unsolicited MR specific advice but one thing strikes me:

don't use too many lights and don't jack it up too high

Is pretty universal whatver GI rendering software you use.

It would help you a lot discern the speed by using common parameters like exposure and ISO etc and compare the changes in the other factors like lighting or gi sampling or aliasing. Putting everything in the mix will confuse you and the comparison will be nil.

Last edited by v_wrangler on Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:19 am; edited 1 time in total
v_wrangler
v_wrangler
CGP Loverboy
CGP Loverboy

Number of posts : 1994
Registration date : 29/03/2009

http://www.maxworksdigital.com

Back to top Go down

Mental Ray Render Speed Test (Updated with Trial Animation) Empty Re: Mental Ray Render Speed Test (Updated with Trial Animation)

Post by marcelinoiii Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:09 am

v_wrangler wrote:I'm not an MR fan as yet and I cannot offer any unsolicited MR specific advice but one thing strikes me:

don't use too many lights and don't jack it up too high

Is pretty universal whatver GI rendering sofware you use.

Sir V wrangler, thanks for dropping by. This is a big mistake been doing the whole time I am learning MR, just thought I need to share to the newbies in MR, like me.

thanks really for the tip sir!
marcelinoiii
marcelinoiii
CGP Guru
CGP Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by arkiedmund Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:13 am

this is a good one...i for one also did some mental ray tests way back, until i damaged the file...have not been able to do another one lately. Maybe if time allows, i'll give it another shot.

Manager
Manager

Number of posts : 3956
Registration date : 19/09/2008

Back to top Go down

Post by edosayla Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:44 am

Normally the more lights you have on the scene the longer it will take to calculate. meron mga tips and tricks on how to speed it up.. first you need to calculate it using a draft FG on white plain materials once you've calculate it reuse the FG and read it on disk .. it will be faster and smoother .. so many ways to speed up rendering on MR .. if i have time i will share it with you guys i've beed an MR addict eversince i foung out about the tricks and its power.. anyway thanks for the test we will prove it soon Smile
edosayla
edosayla
The Teacher
The Teacher

Number of posts : 1367
Registration date : 06/10/2008

http://www.pinoycad.com

Back to top Go down

Post by marcelinoiii Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:48 pm

arkiedmund wrote:this is a good one...i for one also did some mental ray tests way back, until i damaged the file...have not been able to do another one lately. Maybe if time allows, i'll give it another shot.

sir ed, thanks for dropping by, glad to hear you'll be coming back for MR, sana po soon, eager kami matuto rin from you!!! inuman na
marcelinoiii
marcelinoiii
CGP Guru
CGP Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by marcelinoiii Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:53 pm

edosayla wrote:Normally the more lights you have on the scene the longer it will take to calculate. meron mga tips and tricks on how to speed it up.. first you need to calculate it using a draft FG on white plain materials once you've calculate it reuse the FG and read it on disk .. it will be faster and smoother .. so many ways to speed up rendering on MR .. if i have time i will share it with you guys i've beed an MR addict eversince i foung out about the tricks and its power.. anyway thanks for the test we will prove it soon Smile

sir edosayla, ouR MR teacher, thanks for this. We'll be waiting for your more great tutorials special regarding tricks for MR power maximize!!!

Questions:

1. Regarding lighting, is there a limit to setting CD or Resulting %, like 1000 or lesser?
2. Does unit do a lot about this Render speed? Because I normally use millimeter. Should I be using centimeter instead? Is there any difference?

Thanks really sir! I appreciate all your help to us and the upcoming more!!! cheers po!
inuman na
marcelinoiii
marcelinoiii
CGP Guru
CGP Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by marcelinoiii Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:18 pm

and by the way sir, just to emphasize, my render time is still long even if I already calculate the FG and GI map, so render alone without calculation anymore is so long... And my analysis so far is because of the light settings and counts... so in Image 2, I tried not to include even a single light except for the MR sun, and the render turned out so fast... experiment lang po, that's why I have proven myself it's due to the lights.
marcelinoiii
marcelinoiii
CGP Guru
CGP Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by maninang Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:20 am

hi marcelinoiii, im just new here in CG Pinoy.. and an amature in 3d max.. im just starting to learn it... paturo namn ng mga tamang setting sa lighting using MR. pwede ba?? thanks..

maninang
CGP Newbie
CGP Newbie

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 24/06/2010

Back to top Go down

Post by marcelinoiii Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:50 am

maninang wrote:hi marcelinoiii, im just new here in CG Pinoy.. and an amature in 3d max.. im just starting to learn it... paturo namn ng mga tamang setting sa lighting using MR. pwede ba?? thanks..

Sir, good day po. Welcome to CGP!

Sure, no problem regarding helping out sir. But the first thing we should do is not to neglect our tutorials here at CGP: http://www.cgpinoy.org/mental-ray-tutorials-f44/

Dito rin po ako nagstart, so it would be great for you to start out with our Master and Sirs' Edosayla's video tutorials and Logikpixel's great easy to follow tutorials. Makikita po lahat sa link.

Kung may questions po kayo, just let us know. But definitely, our tutorial section here is the best place to start.

Here are the recommended tutorials you can start with:
1. http://www.cgpinoy.org/mental-ray-tutorials-f44/mental-ray-resources-courtesy-of-marcelinoiii-t10772.htm
2. http://www.cgpinoy.org/mental-ray-tutorials-f44/pinoycad-3dsmax-advanced-lesson-4-part-2-t4677.htm
3. http://www.cgpinoy.org/mental-ray-tutorials-f44/rendering-interior-with-mental-ray-t196.htm
(these are the best videos I watched so far, and the most important for me.)
4. http://www.mrbluesummers.com/

marcelinoiii
marcelinoiii
CGP Guru
CGP Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by maninang Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:31 am

thanks for the immediate response... i appreciate it very much..

maninang
CGP Newbie
CGP Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by markuz23 Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:19 am

nice thread kapatid!

pandagdag lang, gusto ko i-share din tong link, hindi ko sure kung galing din to dito sa CGP o dahil sa kakahalukay ko rin ng mga tutorials sa net about MR, sana makatulong...
http://www.i3dtutorials.com/tutorial/73_global-illumination-and-final-gather-in-mental-ray-for-3ds-max-2010
this tutorial uses the technique for fast and easy rendering, the Global Illumination-Final Gather COMBO!

... hope this one helps in your study...

Last edited by markuz23 on Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:21 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spell check)
markuz23
markuz23
CGP Apprentice
CGP Apprentice

Number of posts : 299
Registration date : 27/08/2009

Back to top Go down

Post by maninang Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:24 am

naku naman.. salamat ng marami....

maninang
CGP Newbie
CGP Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by marcelinoiii Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:49 am

markuz23 wrote:nice thread kapatid!

pandagdag lang, gusto ko i-share din tong link, hindi ko sure kung galing din to dito sa CGP o dahil sa kakahalukay ko rin ng mga tutorials sa net about MR, sana makatulong...
http://www.i3dtutorials.com/tutorial/73_global-illumination-and-final-gather-in-mental-ray-for-3ds-max-2010
this tutorial uses the technique for fast and easy rendering, the Global Illumination-Final Gather COMBO!

... hope this one helps in your study...

bro markuz, thanks dito... napanood ko na din to... pero salamat ulit kasi this is really a nice reference, I'll sure to watch it again. inuman na
marcelinoiii
marcelinoiii
CGP Guru
CGP Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by maninang Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:27 am

hi... pwede bang makahingi ng installer ng 3dmax8 or 9?? kasi nung i-install ko tong max ko... there was an error... di ko din ma-install yung vray... basta kung meron... thanks...

maninang
CGP Newbie
CGP Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by markuz23 Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:36 am

maninang wrote:hi... pwede bang makahingi ng installer ng 3dmax8 or 9?? kasi nung i-install ko tong max ko... there was an error... di ko din ma-install yung vray... basta kung meron... thanks...

sa site po ng autodesk ma'am may trial versions po sila Mental Ray Render Speed Test (Updated with Trial Animation) 290602
markuz23
markuz23
CGP Apprentice
CGP Apprentice

Number of posts : 299
Registration date : 27/08/2009

Back to top Go down

Post by maninang Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:26 am

lalaki po ako... hehehhee... gusto ko sana yung may crack file na.. para permanent na sya...

maninang
CGP Newbie
CGP Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by marcelinoiii Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:32 am

sorry sir maninang, but they don't allow piracy here. baka po malock ang thread natin Smile
marcelinoiii
marcelinoiii
CGP Guru
CGP Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by marcelinoiii Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:32 am

Please check out my first ever attemp on interior animation with max2010 and MR. PLease forgive me with the compressed version as it is my first time to post on vimeo. I'll try to upload higher quality later. Also, pasensyahan niyo na po, this animation is quite short and intended only for MR render speed test. Low MR setting of FG only in total 16 hours of 240 frames at 30fps, approximately took 5 min per frame. I am really hoping for tips and suggestions from the masters.

Hall 2_Animation Trial 1 from Marc Balao on Vimeo.

marcelinoiii
marcelinoiii
CGP Guru
CGP Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by logikpixel Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:32 pm

Here's mine:
Rendered in 3dsmax2009. Settings are basically much the usual.
Mitchell filter. Image precision AA=1 / 16. Spatial contrast RGB at 0.031 each for smooth output. Pre-computed FG. Medium FG for final render. No bounces. *TIP: when using GI and FG together, bounce is never computed. Leave it at zero(0).
Finished at 25 minutes with a resolution of 1330x1200.
Mental Ray Render Speed Test (Updated with Trial Animation) Progress2
Note: Summary Info. Rendering. Last frame time. 0:24:58.
Mental Ray Render Speed Test (Updated with Trial Animation) Progress1p

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited by logikpixel on Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
logikpixel
logikpixel
CGP Apprentice
CGP Apprentice

Number of posts : 818
Registration date : 09/03/2009

http://selectiveblur.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by marcelinoiii Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:53 pm

Sir Logik, thanks thanks na naman, isa kayo sa hinihintay ko magbigay ng tips dito... salamat talaga, I'll follow your setting Smile mabuhay kayo!!! inuman na cheers sir!
marcelinoiii
marcelinoiii
CGP Guru
CGP Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by aeroll Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:52 am

makicontribute na rin ako as a mental ray user din share ko lang tong lagi kong settings na ginagamit may kabagalan din ang laptop ko dami ko din ginawang test para maachieve yung mabilis pero effective na lighting technique & i ended up with this setting ganito lang lagi setup ko.
Mental Ray Render Speed Test (Updated with Trial Animation) Mentalsetup2

Mental Ray Render Speed Test (Updated with Trial Animation) Mentalsetup1

Mental Ray Render Speed Test (Updated with Trial Animation) Mentalsetup3

Dyan lang ako sa encircled more or less naglalaro hindi ko ginagamit yung GI sa setup ko nadodoble ang rendering time kapag ginamit ko halos pareho lang naman output tapos puros default lang din halos lahat hindi ko na ginagalaw yung iba, diskarte na lang sa lighting oo nga at nkakatulong sa pagdami ng liwanag yung bounces (assuming mrSun lang ilaw) pero dagdag computation din mas maraming photons mas matagal.
Here's some rendering with & without GI halos pareho lang din torture lang yung with GI ang tagal.

With GI checked it took 2hrs & 53mins

Mental Ray Render Speed Test (Updated with Trial Animation) Yakuza1withgi

Without GI 1hr & 26mins

Mental Ray Render Speed Test (Updated with Trial Animation) Yakuza1withoutgi

Sana nakahelp tong maliit na share ko mostly sa studio lighting i suggest (para sa akin lang naman kanya-kanyang diskarte naman yan) uncheck it(GI) kung gusto nyo mabilis.

Mental Ray Render Speed Test (Updated with Trial Animation) Yakuza2
Special thanks kay sensei Edosayla nung nagsisimula pa lang ako magmental ray sya lang napagtatanungan ko panalo
here's my other samples without GI turned on,
http://www.cgpinoy.org/misc-f4/para-sa-aking-mahal-mental-ray-t11801.htm

Last edited by aeroll on Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:19 am; edited 1 time in total

aeroll
CGP Apprentice
CGP Apprentice

Number of posts : 348
Registration date : 03/02/2010

Back to top Go down

Post by marcelinoiii Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:59 am

aeroll bro, thank you sa share mo. I appreciate this.. makakatulong itong tip and trick mo sa marami, especially it's a testimony with test renders din!

nice scene and render by the way.

Tanong ko lang bro, nagaadjust ka ba sa MR photographic exposure? pwede mo pa siguro laruin yun ng konti, baka nososobrahan mo ang brightness... although for this scene bagay yun timpla, sa iba pwede pang matimpla.

eto favorite reference ko for the exposure: http://3dsmaxrendering.blogspot.com/search/label/exposure

cheers bro!!! inuman na
marcelinoiii
marcelinoiii
CGP Guru
CGP Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by aeroll Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:07 am

oo ginagamit ko din yan depende sa scene bro dyan kasi gusto ko parang daylight yung liwanag thanks as link bro ok yan ah. thumbsup

aeroll
CGP Apprentice
CGP Apprentice

Number of posts : 348
Registration date : 03/02/2010

Back to top Go down

Post by logikpixel Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:52 pm

GI and FG are best used TOGETHER in interior scenes. It can give accurate lighting solutions to any scene. I have an example in my site of what I am talking about. Also you can check http://www.i3dtutorials.com/tutorial/73_global-illumination-and-final-gather-in-mental-ray-for-3ds-max-2010 for further explanations.
Anyway, for exteriors you can get away with just Final Gather. Then you can add bounces, a maximum value of 2 is more than enough. Learning the mr photographic exposure settings would help a lot. Smile
logikpixel
logikpixel
CGP Apprentice
CGP Apprentice

Number of posts : 818
Registration date : 09/03/2009

http://selectiveblur.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next