Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

difference between file link manager and import

+7
render master
qcksilver
Valiant
kieko
cloud20
KreativeKingdom
korngrain69
11 posters

:: General :: Help Line

Go down

difference between file link manager and import Empty difference between file link manager and import

Post by korngrain69 Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:12 pm

sir ano po ba difference ng file link manager and import? my difference po ba in terms of memory use or sa pagiging magaan ng 3D?
korngrain69
korngrain69
CGP Apprentice
CGP Apprentice

Number of posts : 824
Registration date : 18/12/2008

Back to top Go down

difference between file link manager and import Empty Re: difference between file link manager and import

Post by KreativeKingdom Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:28 pm

calling rendermaster...
KreativeKingdom
KreativeKingdom
CGP Newbie
CGP Newbie

Number of posts : 199
Registration date : 17/03/2010

Back to top Go down

difference between file link manager and import Empty Re: difference between file link manager and import

Post by cloud20 Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:18 pm

AFAIK (and not to pre-empt sir Pabico)...

---Import; you leave all ties from your cad file (this is assuming you're referencing a cad file)...

---File link; the better option dahil you can go back to your cad file for any changes then just file link away updated na max file mo... Mas flexible ito between the two...

Pa-add nalang natin kay sir Onel...
cloud20
cloud20
CGP Senior Citizen
CGP Senior Citizen

Number of posts : 3372
Registration date : 21/09/2008

Back to top Go down

Post by kieko Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:09 pm

yup..same here,
for me best din file link,
aside from flexible for edit in cad,
mas madami sya options like smga lines, splines, etc..plus you can choose layers to attach..
Godbless
kieko
kieko
CGP Guru
CGP Guru

Number of posts : 1428
Registration date : 08/04/2009

Back to top Go down

Post by korngrain69 Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:09 am

you mean pag nag edit ako ng file sa cad. then save ko automatic update na siya sa max ko? or lets say nasa max na yung cad file ko, then gusto ko pala mg add ng window sa wall, so balik ako sa cad para doon mag add ng window, then save ko siya. pag balik ko sa max updated na ba 3d ko doon or i have to link again my cad file but only the wall layer? do i have to delete the old wall layer which is already in the max. or just keep it and will be upadated after ma-link ko yung wall layer? i have to try it my self siguro to know narin in advance. di ko pa kasi na subukan mg file link.
korngrain69
korngrain69
CGP Apprentice
CGP Apprentice

Back to top Go down

Post by Valiant Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:20 am

korngrain69 wrote:you mean pag nag edit ako ng file sa cad. then save ko automatic update na siya sa max ko? or lets say nasa max na yung cad file ko, then gusto ko pala mg add ng window sa wall, so balik ako sa cad para doon mag add ng window, then save ko siya. pag balik ko sa max updated na ba 3d ko doon or i have to link again my cad file but only the wall layer? do i have to delete the old wall layer which is already in the max. or just keep it and will be upadated after ma-link ko yung wall layer? i have to try it my self siguro to know narin in advance. di ko pa kasi na subukan mg file link.

partly correct sir. you just have to reload it via file link manager for max to read all the save updates you made in your unbinded cad file. pwede din naman na sa max na directly mo gawin ung mga objects na sa palagay mo ay mas madali for you or knowledgeable ka to model it in max.

no need to worry din kung na bind mo na ung linked scene mo (naputol na ung link). You can always delete specific layer/s na alam mo na inupdate mo sa cad then link it as new... but this time chose "select layers to attached" tapos select mo lang kung anong gusto mong idagdag. basta be careful ka lang sir na hindi mo mabago ung UCS or coordinates ng model mo sa CAD. para ung pwesto nya pag link mo sa max is same pa rin.

massugest ko sir is model mo lang ung basic room sa cad then link it tapos bind... from there do all the modeling in max. the reason for this is, your basic room will serve as reference na rin sa scaling sa max. hope nakatulong Smile
Valiant
Valiant
CGP Apprentice
CGP Apprentice

Number of posts : 927
Registration date : 25/03/2010

Back to top Go down

Post by qcksilver Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:27 am

sa akin din the best yung file link, if you want added info sa mga sinabi above check this link bro,, http://www.cgpinoy.org/3d-studio-max-tutorials-f46/importing-autocad-models-to-3d-max-t3984.htm?highlight=autocad
qcksilver
qcksilver
CGP Guru
CGP Guru

Number of posts : 1940
Registration date : 08/02/2010

Back to top Go down

Post by render master Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:45 am

- file link is same sa external referencing with autocad / revit alone. so if your workflow is from autocad - 3dmax, file link will be a good one procedure. once you have linked the file and have some necessary adjustments in cad, theres is a marker in 3dmax that the original files was changed and you have the option to reload it so your max file will be updated.

- its not necessary that you have to go back in forth from autocad to 3dmax, kung simple lang naman iyong idadagdag mo, do it in max. anyway learn them both. they both have an advantage.

- now regarding import. its just another tools that works with diffirent 3d objects extension ( to name a few .3ds, obj, lwo, and more), you can use import with autocad files also but once you update the files in autocad, you dont have an option to reupload it para automatic ma-update iyong max files mo. thats thier diffirence.

thanks qcksilver_2005 for posting the link.
render master
render master
Game Master
Game Master

Number of posts : 3274
Registration date : 27/09/2008

Back to top Go down

Post by celes Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:56 am

i never use that file link option. reason being ung mga cad files and their updates are sometimes a mess.
celes
celes
Pogi
Pogi

Number of posts : 2958
Registration date : 25/11/2008

Back to top Go down

Post by zildian_nico Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:46 am

i'm using import....mas ok kasi siya....if you dont mind..... Very Happy
zildian_nico
zildian_nico
CGP Guru
CGP Guru

Number of posts : 1783
Registration date : 17/03/2009

Back to top Go down

Post by hernandoloto Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:06 am

cloud20 wrote:AFAIK (and not to pre-empt sir Pabico)...

---Import; you leave all ties from your cad file (this is assuming you're referencing a cad file)...

---File link; the better option dahil you can go back to your cad file for any changes then just file link away updated na max file mo... Mas flexible ito between the two...

yap, tamo po si cloud20... but i used both file link manager and import.

-I only used import for 2d drawings from cad likes plan, elevation and sections, and i do the rest of the 3d model in max.
-before i usually used file linkmanager, but the problem is you need to update again all your applied materials in max if you update your drawing in cad.
hernandoloto
hernandoloto
CGP Newbie
CGP Newbie

Number of posts : 143
Registration date : 24/11/2008

http://hernandoloto.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by qcksilver Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:19 am

hernandoloto wrote:
cloud20 wrote:AFAIK (and not to pre-empt sir Pabico)...

yap, tamo po si cloud20... but i used both file link manager and import.

-I only used import for 2d drawings from cad likes plan, elevation and sections, and i do the rest of the 3d model in max.
-before i usually used file linkmanager, but the problem is you need to update again all your applied materials in max if you update your drawing in cad.

tama pareho sila gamitin bro depende nalang nga saan sila gagamitin,about sa materials applied no need to update just check (1.) use scene material definitions, (2.) use scene material assignments on Reload, sa advanced settings ng file link manager.
qcksilver
qcksilver
CGP Guru
CGP Guru

Number of posts : 1940
Registration date : 08/02/2010

Back to top Go down

Post by hernandoloto Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:45 am

yap, tama bro yan setting na for filelink manager, I also used that before.
advice ko lang sa mga architectural visualizer or renderer don't depend to much on autocad when creating 3dmodels, not all companies likes to ther 3d model in autocad (like in my prevous company, they want it direct from max).
hernandoloto
hernandoloto
CGP Newbie
CGP Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by hernandoloto Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:08 am

the good thing about filelink manager if you create your 3d in autocad or you used revit, there is a setting that you can used ,save setting and used the saved setting again and again.para di kana lagi mag setup each time you used filelink manager.

sa import naman, usefull siya to incorporate other software extension format aside from autocad.
hernandoloto
hernandoloto
CGP Newbie
CGP Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by hernandoloto Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:13 am

I got this from max help.

The File Link Manager utility allows you to work in either another design software's environment (such as AutoCAD) or in 3ds Max while maintaining a single design database. If you use AutoCAD drawings, this feature works with drawings from AutoCAD Release 12 through AutoCAD 2011, including the AutoCAD Mechanical/Architecture and Revit applications. File Link also supports FBX files from Revit 2009, Revit 2010, and Revit 2011.

You can establish, refresh, and break links to any number of linked files. You can also edit out unnecessary information by using layers and other filters. The File Link Manager defines which geometry is included in the 3ds Max scene from the linked file, how the geometry is organized, and when it is regenerated.

The objects that you bring in from linked files behave just like any other object created in 3ds Max. You can scale, rotate, and move them, apply modifiers, and assign materials.

You can also refresh or break links to linked files. When you refresh a linked file, any changes you’ve made to the linked file are applied to geometry in your scene. However, 3ds Max will not change the original, linked file. The integrity of your other software’s design database is never compromised by using the File Link Manager.

Finally, if you decide to break a link to a linked file, you can either keep the objects from the linked file in your scene, or have them removed along with the link.
TipFor optimal speed when bringing a DWG file that contains a lot of text into 3ds Max, use Import rather than File Link.
hernandoloto
hernandoloto
CGP Newbie
CGP Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by render master Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:10 am

hernandoloto wrote: don't depend to much on autocad when creating 3dmodels,
i dont agree with these, why shouldnt i?
render master
render master
Game Master
Game Master

Number of posts : 3274
Registration date : 27/09/2008

Back to top Go down

Post by ERICK Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:08 pm

render master wrote:
hernandoloto wrote: don't depend to much on autocad when creating 3dmodels,
i dont agree with these, why shouldnt i?

me too.. why shouldnt we?
ERICK
ERICK
CGP Dark Horse
CGP Dark Horse

Number of posts : 3907
Registration date : 18/09/2008

http://www.ericktorio.tk http://www.coroflot.com/ericktorio

Back to top Go down

Post by korngrain69 Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:30 pm

thanks po sa lahat ng nagreply sa tanong ko, malaking tulong po ito, di lang sa akin kundi pati narin sa iba.
korngrain69
korngrain69
CGP Apprentice
CGP Apprentice

Back to top Go down

Post by korngrain69 Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:54 pm

hernandoloto wrote:yap, tama bro yan setting na for filelink manager, I also used that before.
advice ko lang sa mga architectural visualizer or renderer don't depend to much on autocad when creating 3dmodels, not all companies likes to ther 3d model in autocad (like in my prevous company, they want it direct from max).

mas gamay ko kasi ang cad sir at sa tingin ko mas mabilis ako mag 3d sa cad kaya yun ang gamit. pero pag aaralan ko mag edit ng cad file sa max para mas mabilis ang work. salamat ulit sir.
korngrain69
korngrain69
CGP Apprentice
CGP Apprentice

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down