Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HDRI on vraylight(dome)

+8
v_wrangler
cloud20
juan
paopaolopao
Ernest
bobpen
LadiesMan217
bokkins
12 posters

Go down

HDRI on vraylight(dome) Empty HDRI on vraylight(dome)

Post by bokkins Mon May 03, 2010 7:18 pm

Hi guys, I've prepared a new tutorial using HDRI based lighting. The concept is simple, use an HDRI map to lit your environment. You will find the HDRI map HERE (I used the barcelona rooftops ENV)

My output
HDRI on vraylight(dome) Vraylightdome2

Below are the screen shots and settings:
I used vraylight(sphere) with yellow color to simulate warm lights coming for the inside and the lanterns. Warm light is a good contrast to blue environment, most especially on dusk and dawn.
HDRI on vraylight(dome) Screenshot
HDRI on vraylight(dome) Hdridome01

Put the HDRI map under the vraylight(dome), then drag it to the material editor slot or vice versa for editing, make sure you make it "instanced". You may place the domelight anywhere in the scene. In adjusting the the environment light, it's best to edit it on your material editor. increase the render multiplier to get your desired results. You may also adjust the horiz rotation to adjust the effect of the HDRI map unto the scene.
HDRI on vraylight(dome) Vraydomehdri

I used this setting for this scene. You may also try it with your favorite setup.
HDRI on vraylight(dome) Verylowsettings

Finish! I hope you like this simple tutorial. This is an alternative way of setting up a scene with HDRI. Thank you for your time. Thanks to 3dA and d.sign for the model. Very Happy

Last edited by bokkins on Fri May 07, 2010 12:17 am; edited 4 times in total
bokkins
bokkins
Special Ops
Special Ops

Number of posts : 10369
Registration date : 18/09/2008

Http://bokkins3d.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

HDRI on vraylight(dome) Empty Re: HDRI on vraylight(dome)

Post by LadiesMan217 Mon May 03, 2010 7:21 pm

oy wow aabangan ko ito..thank's for this sir bok's 2thumbsup
LadiesMan217
LadiesMan217
CGP Guru
CGP Guru

Number of posts : 1166
Registration date : 21/07/2009

http://www.davaoflatlander.ning.com

Back to top Go down

Post by bokkins Thu May 06, 2010 9:37 pm

LadiesMan217 wrote:oy wow aabangan ko ito..thank's for this sir bok's 2thumbsup

ok na bro. natapos ko na ang simple tut na to. Smile
bokkins
bokkins
Special Ops
Special Ops

Back to top Go down

Post by bobpen Thu May 06, 2010 11:16 pm

salamat po sir bokkins
bobpen
bobpen
CGP Apprentice
CGP Apprentice

Number of posts : 729
Registration date : 23/04/2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Ernest Thu May 06, 2010 11:56 pm

Ito na tutorials na inaantay ko Very Happy ...Maraming salamat master Bokkins. wave
Ernest
Ernest
CGP Apprentice
CGP Apprentice

Number of posts : 508
Registration date : 20/02/2010

Back to top Go down

Post by paopaolopao Fri May 07, 2010 2:14 am

Excuse me po. Tanong ko lang po kung ano ang masmaganda, HDRI sa vray dome light, HDRI sa vray environment, or kailngan parehas silang gamitin sa pag-gawa ng exterior scenes? Salamat po.
paopaolopao
paopaolopao
CGP Newbie
CGP Newbie

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 28/04/2010

Back to top Go down

Post by juan Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:51 am

wow ang galing nito..thanks po sir
juan
juan
CGP Newbie
CGP Newbie

Number of posts : 108
Registration date : 26/05/2010

Back to top Go down

Post by cloud20 Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:14 pm

paopaolopao wrote:Excuse me po. Tanong ko lang po kung ano ang masmaganda, HDRI sa vray dome light, HDRI sa vray environment, or kailngan parehas silang gamitin sa pag-gawa ng exterior scenes? Salamat po.

Don't forget HDRI on native Max environment slot (8). Using any one of these will automatically shut down the remaining two. So far here's what I came up with:
---HDRI on vray environment override: fast but blotchy & with some artifacts
---HDRI on native Max environment slot (8): a bit better than the previous
---HDRI on vray dome: best of the lot with no blotches or artifacts; tradeoff: a bit longer render time

Personal findings po yan; not vray HDRI bible truth...
cloud20
cloud20
CGP Senior Citizen
CGP Senior Citizen

Number of posts : 3372
Registration date : 21/09/2008

Back to top Go down

Post by bokkins Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:10 am

@cloud, yung sa vray dome na long render and no blotch may be brought by hi shadow subdivs. 16 instead of the normal 8?

higher is better but longer to render.
bokkins
bokkins
Special Ops
Special Ops

Back to top Go down

Post by v_wrangler Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:23 am

bokkins wrote:@cloud, yung sa vray dome na long render and no blotch may be brought by hi shadow subdivs. 16 instead of the normal 8?

Boks, this is also dependent on what anti-aliasing filters you use. If you have low subdivs in the shadows and use Adaptive subdivs, it will of course take a hit in rendering time because adaptive subdvision will try to compensate for the noise brought about by the lack of subdivs in the dome.

I do not hesitate to use 32 samplings for my shadows, be it dome or regular lights or vray lights. Adaptive dmcs still my favorite.

I'll make my observations regarding the three hdri applications later on.
v_wrangler
v_wrangler
CGP Loverboy
CGP Loverboy

Number of posts : 1994
Registration date : 29/03/2009

http://www.maxworksdigital.com

Back to top Go down

Post by cloud20 Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:56 am

bokkins wrote:@cloud, yung sa vray dome na long render and no blotch may be brought by hi shadow subdivs. 16 instead of the normal 8?

Yup thats the culprit, I sometimes go to 18 - 20. For me the trade-off is well worth the extra render times, which are not that high actually, give or take a few minutes, 10 or twenty... I get clean renders especially along the nooks & crannies; most especially roof gutters...
cloud20
cloud20
CGP Senior Citizen
CGP Senior Citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by v_wrangler Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:03 am

cloud20 wrote:
paopaolopao wrote:Excuse me po. Tanong ko lang po kung ano ang masmaganda, HDRI sa vray dome light, HDRI sa vray environment, or kailngan parehas silang gamitin sa pag-gawa ng exterior scenes? Salamat po.

Don't forget HDRI on native Max environment slot (8). Using any one of these will automatically shut down the remaining two. So far here's what I came up with:

To expand kuya,

If you have an entry in the regular max environenment - it will be overriden if you set the vray env override slots. Slap an hdri or any texture mapin the dome light and it overrides both the MAX environment and the VRAY environment overrides for GI calculations.

So its like San Kyoudai (three brothers) Dome light being panganay and powerful over the other two, the vray overrides who becomes instant powerful in the absence of kuya dome, and the kawawa being the max environments...

waht an analogy...
v_wrangler
v_wrangler
CGP Loverboy
CGP Loverboy

Back to top Go down

Post by v_wrangler Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:07 am

The longer rendering times when you have dome lighting is explainable because it is no longer just GI, domes are like regular lights and they compute their own shadows (they take time to do so)

I honestly prefer the dome because I do not have to worry much about flickers present in GI animations. Of course, low GI + dome (w/ hdri's) are a good combo for the domes shadows can give that crisp, contrasty look. They can get inside the nitty grits and small holes and details unnlike GI which presamples everything.

Ciempre, it will be a race against rendering time...
v_wrangler
v_wrangler
CGP Loverboy
CGP Loverboy

Back to top Go down

Post by cloud20 Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:45 am

@ small brother Roy; yup hierarchy within the environment slots... One more thing with domes, they do very well with caustics. At least thats what I read, havent really had the time to dabble with that alchemic part of vray... I've been on & off domes for quite a spell, I think I'm sticking with them for now...
cloud20
cloud20
CGP Senior Citizen
CGP Senior Citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by v_wrangler Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:56 pm

Yep Kuya Gel, the caustics pretty funky with Dome Lights. I do not know what other combos you guys use but allow me to introduce the three brod's new sibling or should I say pinsan, the VrayAmbient Light. The purposes they achieve are pretty similar to what Bokks Dome Lighting Tut mentioned but it totally disregard GI meaning somehow - you can do away with GI.

I'll probabaly just write a bit about it in another thread so I don't end up hijacking this thread.
v_wrangler
v_wrangler
CGP Loverboy
CGP Loverboy

Back to top Go down

Post by bokkins Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:17 pm

v_wrangler wrote:Yep Kuya Gel, the caustics pretty funky with Dome Lights. I do not know what other combos you guys use but allow me to introduce the three brod's new sibling or should I say pinsan, the VrayAmbient Light. The purposes they achieve are pretty similar to what Bokks Dome Lighting Tut mentioned but it totally disregard GI meaning somehow - you can do away with GI.

I'll probabaly just write a bit about it in another thread so I don't end up hijacking this thread.

Ito na yata ang sagot sa mga tanong ko! VrayAmbientLight is the new messiah. Smile
bokkins
bokkins
Special Ops
Special Ops

Back to top Go down

Post by hamneth Mon May 27, 2013 2:50 pm

sir bokkins vray adv 2.0 po gamit ko bakit di ko po makita yung vray hdri sa vray materials list ko..
hamneth
hamneth
CGP Newbie
CGP Newbie

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 23/05/2013

http://arkitekturabyhamiltongrapix.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Avila Mon May 27, 2013 11:40 pm

depende po sa preferences mo...para sakin mas ok ang vray dome light..pwede mo ilink yun vray sun exactly on the location of the sun in the HDRI map...no need for HDRI vray environment pag gumamit ka ng dome light...panoorin mo po yun free HDRI tutorial sa VISCORBEL.com napakalinaw ang daling sundan. thumbsup
Lance Avila
Lance Avila
CGP Newbie
CGP Newbie

Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 18/05/2013

Back to top Go down

Post by jrmhys Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:59 am

Salamat Sir Bokkins.malaking tulong ito sa mga bagohan.katulad ko.Smile
jrmhys
jrmhys
CGP Newbie
CGP Newbie

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 20/08/2013

Back to top Go down

Post by jrmhys Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:59 am

Salamat Sir Bokkins.malaking tulong ito sa mga bagohan.katulad ko.Smile
jrmhys
jrmhys
CGP Newbie
CGP Newbie

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 20/08/2013

Back to top Go down

Post by Neil Joshua Rosario Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:10 am

bokkins wrote:Hi guys, I've prepared a new tutorial using HDRI based lighting. The concept is simple, use an HDRI map to lit your environment. You will find the HDRI map HERE (I used the barcelona rooftops ENV)

My output
HDRI on vraylight(dome) Vraylightdome2

Below are the screen shots and settings:
I used vraylight(sphere) with yellow color to simulate warm lights coming for the inside and the lanterns. Warm light is a good contrast to blue environment, most especially on dusk and dawn.
HDRI on vraylight(dome) Screenshot
HDRI on vraylight(dome) Hdridome01

Put the HDRI map under the vraylight(dome), then drag it to the material editor slot or vice versa for editing, make sure you make it "instanced". You may place the domelight anywhere in the scene. In adjusting the the environment light, it's best to edit it on your material editor. increase the render multiplier to get your desired results. You may also adjust the horiz rotation to adjust the effect of the HDRI map unto the scene.
HDRI on vraylight(dome) Vraydomehdri

I used this setting for this scene. You may also try it with your favorite setup.
HDRI on vraylight(dome) Verylowsettings

Finish! I hope you like this simple tutorial. This is an alternative way of setting up a scene with HDRI. Thank you for your time. Thanks to 3dA and d.sign for the model.  Very Happy
cloud20 wrote:
---HDRI on vray environment override: fast but blotchy & with some artifacts
---HDRI on native Max environment slot (8): a bit better than the previous
---HDRI on vray dome: best of the lot with no blotches or artifacts; tradeoff: a bit longer render time

Personal findings po yan; not vray HDRI bible truth...

Salamat po na marami mga masters. Sir Boks at sir Cloud sana makita ulit ko po kayo. Tagal narin
Neil Joshua Rosario
Neil Joshua Rosario
CGP Guru
CGP Guru

Number of posts : 1827
Registration date : 02/06/2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Neil Joshua Rosario Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:23 am

hamneth wrote:sir bokkins vray adv 2.0 po gamit ko bakit di ko po makita yung vray hdri sa vray materials list ko..

Sana makatulong to sayo..Crazy_Lion 

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Neil Joshua Rosario
Neil Joshua Rosario
CGP Guru
CGP Guru

Number of posts : 1827
Registration date : 02/06/2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum