Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Totally Different Approach with Low Settings

+7
cloud20
Stryker
zdesign
arkibons
Norman
arkiedmund
celes
11 posters

Go down

A Totally Different Approach with Low Settings Empty A Totally Different Approach with Low Settings

Post by celes Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:58 pm

not everyone will go for this style, but we had a french architect who preferred to present this way - in the absence of piranesi, we did super low anti alias settings, almost zero sec bounce, low subdvs etc. but applied with a thin toon line. the result:

A Totally Different Approach with Low Settings Copyofview2sketchb

IMHO, it does have a certain appeal. but like i said.. not everyone will dig this for a lot of reasons - as an architect myself, i don't mind presenting something like this if i was communicating just the concept.

would be interesting to hear different opinions. advantages of this is: very fast render (almost below 1 min) disadvantages being: not photorealistic (for the purists). thoughts anyone?
celes
celes
Pogi
Pogi

Number of posts : 2958
Registration date : 25/11/2008

Back to top Go down

A Totally Different Approach with Low Settings Empty Re: A Totally Different Approach with Low Settings

Post by arkiedmund Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:09 am

I've seen this before.

my thoughts:

I don't really mind if a presentation is not really photographically accurate as long as the concept or design is properly presented to the client. I would actually prefer this over the more photoreal output if only for the rendering speed.

If I was competent enough with doing most of the details of my renders in post, i'd probably be doing these kinds of presentation. My photoshop skills stills needs developing up till now, hence, my preference of doing most of my stuff entirely in 3d.

One of the reasons why most would not prefer this style, is the fact that there are clients who prefer a more real looking output, as opposed to something that is conceptual in feel.

Nevertheless, for concept generation, most specially for those who are not adept with piranesi, or sketch-up. and for times, when we need to rush things up, this is a cool idea to try.

Hope I was able to convey my opinion regarding this technique.
arkiedmund
arkiedmund
Manager
Manager

Number of posts : 3956
Registration date : 19/09/2008

Back to top Go down

A Totally Different Approach with Low Settings Empty Re: A Totally Different Approach with Low Settings

Post by Norman Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:37 am

maganda sir parang colored sketch, sa tingin ko sir mas okey sya ginagamit sa exterior kasi mas broad pa yung scope dun in terms of texturing and materials...unlike sa interior medyo mas detailed ang gusto nating makita...mas mukhang realistic mas ok....specially mga architect, ang ganda mag present ng exterior pag mukhang sketch or may pag ka artistic ang gawa ng building....katulad ng water color effect sketch effect...
Norman
Norman
CGP Expert
CGP Expert

Number of posts : 3228
Registration date : 21/06/2009

Back to top Go down

Post by arkibons Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:39 am

I think for me this is still a good rendering approach for presentation. Thought different from the usual realistic rendering but it will still provide the exact information of the subject, most architects or interior designer present their design with board material sample that will provide accurate visual for the client unless the rendering need to be posted on magazine that requires comprehensive details of the actual materials...Yes! it does have a certain appleal, as long as it is acceptable to your client, yet in some cases we furnish them the best quality of goods more than they requires probably part of the marketing aspect of business..so far a nice presentation master mushroom...
arkibons
arkibons
CGP Expert
CGP Expert

Number of posts : 2618
Registration date : 20/02/2009

Back to top Go down

Post by zdesign Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:12 am

This one is real good for preliminary approach...For some reason why interior designer & some architects like a kind of non realistic image presentation...in some reason they can easily catch / communicate to the client without anymore question or discussion asking about the materials,colors,texture and ambiance..etc. usually only volume, lines or monochromatic color / gray color especially for preliminary concept design, just to present the work flow / space planning or traffic inside /outside or what ever...pwede to sa mabilisin lang talaga but it's good, di pwede sa maarting cliente.case to case-depende rin nga sa client sir.

Last edited by zdesign on Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:17 am; edited 1 time in total
zdesign
zdesign
CGP Expert
CGP Expert

Number of posts : 3768
Registration date : 09/12/2009

https://zdesigninfo.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Stryker Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:14 am

This one is nice... para syang conventional way of presentation... very architectural... imho! thumbsup
Stryker
Stryker
The Architect
The Architect

Number of posts : 1875
Registration date : 12/12/2008

Back to top Go down

Post by cloud20 Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:34 am

Architectural; the bite word for which crowd this style caters to. Self explanatory a yun. Another would be "region"; dito sa pinas they'd go for the realistic renders, in some parts abroad they'd go for the "mano" styles...

I absolutely love the "manual" style perspectives of SU; I'm trying to recall a cgp member stateside (new york ata yun) who excelled in the aforementioned...

Nothing conceptual about this render though; as an architecture student I already see its totality & finality at kung ano ano pang ity..
roamin roamin roamhide....

Last edited by cloud20 on Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:35 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : damn fingers freezing out on me...)
cloud20
cloud20
CGP Senior Citizen
CGP Senior Citizen

Number of posts : 3372
Registration date : 21/09/2008

Back to top Go down

Post by arkiedmund Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:02 am

cloud20 wrote:Architectural; the bite word for which crowd this style caters to. Self explanatory a yun. Another would be "region"; dito sa pinas they'd go for the realistic renders, in some parts abroad they'd go for the "mano" styles...

I absolutely love the "manual" style perspectives of SU; I'm trying to recall a cgp member stateside (new york ata yun) who excelled in the aforementioned...
Nothing conceptual about this render though; as an architecture student I already see its totality & finality at kung ano ano pang ity..
roamin roamin roamhide....

That would be sir arkinet, if i am not mistaken sir...
arkiedmund
arkiedmund
Manager
Manager

Number of posts : 3956
Registration date : 19/09/2008

Back to top Go down

Post by kieko Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:29 am

cloud20 wrote:Architectural; the bite word for which crowd this style caters to. Self explanatory a yun. Another would be "region"; dito sa pinas they'd go for the realistic renders, in some parts abroad they'd go for the "mano" styles...

agree..

one of our team mate (actualy the leader) keep on posterizing (on photoshop) works which are actually good renders..
i cant blame him..he has the artistic eyes more than i do..after all, his edited works are still very presentable and very unique and really catches the attention of the client with passionate presentation..

i think your boss has also that artistic eyes and sees things different..

hehe
kieko
kieko
CGP Guru
CGP Guru

Number of posts : 1428
Registration date : 08/04/2009

Back to top Go down

Post by yaug_03 Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:58 am

Ginagamit ko din minsan ang ganitong method for preliminary presentations para medyo hindi pa kita ang kaluluwa ng design.

OT: Nice avatar I miss that STP album, Pretty Penny FTW!!! Very Happy
yaug_03
yaug_03
CGP Guru
CGP Guru

Number of posts : 1911
Registration date : 05/07/2009

Back to top Go down

Post by cloud20 Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:08 am

[quote="kieko"][quote="cloud20"]Architectural; the bite word for which crowd this style caters to. Self explanatory a yun. Another would be "region"; dito sa pinas they'd go for the realistic renders, in some parts abroad they'd go for the "mano" styles...

agree..

one of our team mate (actualy the leader) keep on posterizing (on photoshop) works which are actually good renders..
i cant blame him..he has the artistic eyes more than i do..after all, his edited works are still very presentable and very unique and really catches the attention of the client with passionate presentation..

i think your boss has also that artistic eyes and sees things different..

hehe

I don't have a boss... I have an "authority problem"...
cloud20
cloud20
CGP Senior Citizen
CGP Senior Citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by celes Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:43 am

thanks for the input guys! appreciate the lively discussion here, hopefully it may be of use for whatever means.. Very Happy

this project won over competitors who actually made those conventional GI rendered walkthroughs. we presented only with a flash based presentation and a series of stills.

the point really is that from an architects'/designers' POV if the design intent / concept is strong, presentation methods do not matter as long as one can communicate the concept properly, be it in this way or the traditional way. of course one may argue that WHO presents it is also a factor. our profession, (designers and 3d artists alike) whether we agree or not, is a communication tool in itself.

and true, not everyone will be receptive to this, clients in general, as they are not design-trained and their sense of aesthetics is quite limited.

but if were to keep a portfolio of my own id rather compile unique sets - including past renders like this one.

check out the starchitects' concepts and how they present them - zaha hadid, gehry et al. though they use 3d - they almost feel sketchy, poor shaders, transparent people.

oh eventually we developed the "photoreal" version of this project, towards the end of the contract though. Smile
celes
celes
Pogi
Pogi

Back to top Go down

Post by ortzak Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:48 am

so true sir mushroom..

my previous boss from china prefers this kind of presentations over rendered ones..

mas architectural daw ang dating nya..

we used only sketchup for presentations.but rendered images if needed nalang then outsourced it after.
ortzak
ortzak
CGP Expert
CGP Expert

Number of posts : 4555
Registration date : 14/01/2009

http://plandesignvisualize.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by celes Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:01 am

ortzak wrote:so true sir mushroom..

my previous boss from china prefers this kind of presentations over rendered ones..

we used only sketchup for presentations.but rendered images if needed nalang then outsourced it after.

interesting.. incidentally sa shanghai din nakabase ung cliente namin for this Very Happy yup fully rendered images are reserved mostly for marketing/brochure purposes lang.
celes
celes
Pogi
Pogi

Back to top Go down

Post by celes Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:02 am

cloud20 wrote:I don't have a boss... I have an "authority problem"...

what dear cloud means is siya ang sarili niyang boss.. sa umaga. pag sa gabi, iba na buttrock peace uncle buttrock
celes
celes
Pogi
Pogi

Back to top Go down

Post by ortzak Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:16 am

mushroom wrote:
ortzak wrote:so true sir mushroom..

interesting.. incidentally sa shanghai din nakabase ung cliente namin for this Very Happy yup fully rendered images are reserved mostly for marketing/brochure purposes lang.

yup tama sir pag brochure or big tarps nalang sila request..

kasi sa sketchup na din kame lagay ng details with textures hehe mas mabilis maintindihan ng mga tsinong foreman.

sa cad kasi nagkakamali kami sa chinese character minsan hehe.
ortzak
ortzak
CGP Expert
CGP Expert

Number of posts : 4555
Registration date : 14/01/2009

http://plandesignvisualize.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ernest Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:40 am

I agree with you guys, this is still good approach in presentation, fast output yet effective. Smile Thanks for bringing up this thread sir mushroom. Very Happy
Ernest
Ernest
CGP Apprentice
CGP Apprentice

Number of posts : 508
Registration date : 20/02/2010

Back to top Go down

Post by cloud20 Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:46 am

mushroom wrote:

what dear cloud means is siya ang sarili niyang boss.. sa umaga. pag sa gabi, iba na buttrock peace uncle buttrock

Salvaje... What sir Celes means is that SIYA ang boss ko pag gabi hanggang magdamag... Thanks sa time ubermastermushroom...
cloud20
cloud20
CGP Senior Citizen
CGP Senior Citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by celes Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:04 am

cloud20 wrote:
mushroom wrote:

Salvaje... What sir Celes means is that SIYA ang boss ko pag gabi hanggang magdamag... Thanks sa time ubermastermushroom...

OT: hehe di ko ata kamukha ung nasa avatar mo man..

share ur new projects dude!
celes
celes
Pogi
Pogi

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down