Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Do I call myself a digital artist?

+2
whey09
Leonworx
6 posters

:: General :: Tambayan

Go down

Do I call myself a digital artist? Empty Do I call myself a digital artist?

Post by Leonworx Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:40 am

I know this question really sounds stupid so bare with me. Smile))

I am really wondering, can I call myself a DIGITAL ARTIST even if I don't have a degree or educational background on it? I am a self thought 3D artist and I am studying digital painting now. What is a DIGITAL ARTIST for you? Very Happy

Note: I asked this question so I'll know what to caption/watermark to put on my works (Digital artist, 3D Artist, etc etc). I know that I should focus myself on some more fruitful things other than this. But there's nothing wrong to be curious and I really believe that there's nothing wrong filling my pail rather than leaving it empty. Thank you. Very Happy
Leonworx
Leonworx
CGP Newbie
CGP Newbie

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 05/07/2012

https://www.facebook.com/christopher.campo.50

Back to top Go down

Do I call myself a digital artist? Empty Re: Do I call myself a digital artist?

Post by whey09 Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:46 am

You don't need a degree or diploma to be an artist. As long as you have the talent or passion on making arts digitally or manually.
whey09
whey09
CGP Guru
CGP Guru

Number of posts : 1869
Registration date : 02/10/2008

Back to top Go down

Post by Leonworx Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:01 am

Thank you sir. Kudos.
Leonworx
Leonworx
CGP Newbie
CGP Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by nahumreigh Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:23 pm

Yes you can! Fortunately digital arts is really a broad field. Also, fortunately, digital arts is one of those industries that are driven more by portfolios and not by degrees. Those who have degrees may have obvious advantages... but with a decent portfolio, there's no real reason to doubt your credibility in the field Smile
nahumreigh
nahumreigh
CGP Apprentice
CGP Apprentice

Number of posts : 638
Registration date : 04/04/2009

http://www.nahumreigh.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Leonworx Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:39 pm

Thanks sir, That encouraged me. Smile I thought using that title needs ti have a certain degree. but oh well. I'd consider myself a digital artist. Very Happy
Leonworx
Leonworx
CGP Newbie
CGP Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by renderbeads Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:08 pm

Those master painters like Michaelangelo, Caravaggio, etc. never had a degree.
renderbeads
renderbeads
CGP Newbie
CGP Newbie

Number of posts : 165
Registration date : 19/01/2009

Back to top Go down

Post by tipster Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:27 pm

wala naman sigurong board exam or license ang pagiging digital artist, so you can call yourself as such. unlike other professions that require license before they can call themselves as architects, nurses, engineers, etc.
tipster
tipster
CGP Newbie
CGP Newbie

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 25/06/2012

Back to top Go down

Post by tutik Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:24 am

yes and no.

yes, if you just need a title. even if you don't have the proper educational credentials, as long as you can perform the duties of being one, experienced and being self-taught is good enough to use that title.

no for technical reasons. example, if you are an architecture or interior design graduate and being applied by a Singapore based design company for a work pass as a 'digital artist,' you most likely will not get an approval if that title is used in the application. 'interior designer' is more appropriate and you have 90% chance of getting an approval. sharing this based on experience. Do I call myself a digital artist? 808695
tutik
tutik
The Spy
The Spy

Number of posts : 1715
Registration date : 01/10/2008

Back to top Go down

Post by tipster Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:32 am

tutik wrote:yes and no.

yes, if you just need a title. even if you don't have the proper educational credentials, as long as you can perform the duties of being one, experienced and being self-taught is good enough to use that title.

no for technical reasons. example, if you are an architecture or interior design graduate and being applied by a Singapore based design company for a work pass as a 'digital artist,' you most likely will not get an approval if that title is used in the application. 'interior designer' is more appropriate and you have 90% chance of getting an approval. sharing this based on experience. Do I call myself a digital artist? 808695

the reason for that i think is because "digital artist" is a general term and not appropriate to use as job title, unlike "interior designer" or "civil engineer" or "pharmacist", etc. which are specific titles. Very Happy
tipster
tipster
CGP Newbie
CGP Newbie

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 25/06/2012

Back to top Go down

Post by Leonworx Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:07 am

tutik wrote:yes and no.

Thank you sir. Actually I'll be a graduate of BSHRM sa CEU Manila this 2013. But late na dumating hilig ko dito. I would consider doing this as a somewhat source of income as a "Digital Artist" while working in my industry, and if things go smoothly either way. Doon ako. Smile
Leonworx
Leonworx
CGP Newbie
CGP Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down